Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inaugural Trip in 2005 Journey

After much anticipation, we left Friday on our first trip since the purchase of our "new to us" 2005 Journey, traveling Appx 400 miles from North Texas to the Gulf Coast. This is our first DP, having had a 5er for a while. I was a bit white knuckled for the first 50 miles as I had only driven the coach once before and just a few test miles. But I found it to easy to drive. It does take getting used too and you do have to be aware of the big trucks as they tend to push you a bit. I'm glad I had the Safe T Plus installed, as I could feel the difference from the test drive. Set up at the park was easy but the leveling system will need to be recalibrated..the bubble level in the fridge is spot on, but the bedroom driver side is off by a half inch, which has made for a couple of rough nights. Am going to raise the left side a bit today to see if that helps. And the mattress will be replaced with a sleep number as soon as we get home lol. The Norcold fridge seems to struggle a bit to keep the temp in the 40 degree range I noticed. Have to set it an, 8.. May or may not be normal but it's 90 outside. Love the fact that the fridge is on the side with the big awning!!! These are minor issues tho and have not dampened our trip. So far, we love the Journey and look forward to many more adventures!!! If any others out there have a Journey, would love to hear any tips and suggestions you have!! !!

Happy travels!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on the new coach! You are going to have a lot of fun with it! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Life is sweet when you're "on the road again!"

I found this full color brochure for the 2005 Journey which is pretty cool. Here's the link if you don't have it. http://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/t...ourney-bro.pdf

What model or length is your Journey as I want to check it out online? We have your sister MH ... a Merdian that we love!
~Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

That is probably about par for the refrigerator in 90 degree weather. Is it on electric or propane. Additional fans to expel the heat from the burner or heater may help.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If your refrigerator is one of the 1200 models you should confirm the recall has been done.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use the "lights" on the HWH controls as a rough guide ... when I think it is about level, the co-pilot opens the bathroom door half way ... I finish leveling by adjusting until it stays in one spot ...

I grew up on a farm ... this is a farm boy's way of checking level.

Works for us.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have the 36G model!!! It's a green/tan color outside...
Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It's on ac as we are in an RV Park, and it's holding pretty good... We just limit opening it. The awning is keeping that side of the coach shaded in the afternoon. I've read that the Norcold are not quite as good as the Domestics.. ...
Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I use the "lights" on the HWH controls as a rough guide ... when I think it is about level, the co-pilot opens the bathroom door half way ... I finish leveling by adjusting until it stays in one spot ...

Works for us.
Love it!!! Farm girl here too so I get it!! Baling wire and duck tape fixes everything... We will get it checked but in the mean I will try your suggestion!!
Old 06-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

what part of the Gulf coast are you. I live in Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula just east of Galveston
Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We are in Port O'Connor.. Came down with another couple who have a 5er. Their son runs a Bay fishing guide service so we came to fish. Been to Crystal Beach and Bolivar... We lived in Houston in the early 90's!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post

Works for us.
Skigramp I took your advice and re leveled the coach using the bathroom door and a torpedo level. It is dead on level now, even tho the HWH system is showing yellow lights in several places... Thanks for the tip! !!!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We love our 2004 Journey 36G, came back down from a Tiffen 42 Allegro Bus. The HWH level panel can be adjusted, but I have not done ours yet. It tends to read with level when the passenger side is a bit low. The bathroom door is a pretty good indicator for us as well!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you're comfortable with the level it's close enough for the refer. The leveling system can be adjusted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
We have the 36G model!!! It's a green/tan color outside...
That is the exact same coach we just bought. I had the same problem the first time I tried to pre-chill the refrigerator. Just would not get cold.
I was instructed by the MH dealer to open the burner vent inspection hole and blow it out with a compressor. I did that and blew out the entire refer bay.
It worked like a champ the whole first trip.

Be sure to wear eye protection when blowing out the vent and bay area.

Happy trails!

-Michael
MD_Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Life is sweet when you're "on the road again!"

I found this full color brochure for the 2005 Journey which is pretty cool. Here's the link if you don't have it. http://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/t...ourney-bro.pdf

What model or length is your Journey as I want to check it out online? We have your sister MH ... a Merdian that we love!
~Kay
Here's an accessible link direct from Winnebago's site: 2005 Journey Brochure

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey