Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

IF & That's A Big If My Slide Does Not Go In

I bought my Motor Home May of 2020. It belonged to a couple who the Husband had passed away 4 to 5 years before I bought it. It is a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V on a Workhorse. It has HWH Street side slide that is flat when opened.

If you look at the pictures you will see that the rear All Thread is Broken. So should something happen and my slide does not retract I am (up the creek) with out a paddle.

I called HWH and talked to a real nice gentleman who understood what I needed and sold me the parts.. Everything except the All Thread.
What I would like here is there some one that has worked on this and can explain what I will in counter when I start the repair. I have looked and searched You Tube with no luck..
Thank You so much LeeB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Bolts 1.png
Views:	78
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	177512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Bolts 2.png
Views:	124
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	177513  

Name:	Slide Bolts 3.png
Views:	88
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	177514  
Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Of course if you have the documents for mh it will have how to manually get slide in - should be in a large accordian Winnebago binder, always a first place to check - my Winn had an overall man with sections on all the major systems - then had more detailed on various in separate manuals.

start reading, i put it so could read while 'on the throne' and would glance thru all sections just to see what real info there.

GL !
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
Of course if you have the documents for mh it will have how to manually get slide in - should be in a large accordian Winnebago binder, always a first place to check - my Winn had an overall man with sections on all the major systems - then had more detailed on various in separate manuals.

start reading, i put it so could read while 'on the throne' and would glance thru all sections just to see what real info there.

GL !
I know HOW it works I want to know HOW it fix it......... LeeB
Old 02-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Team

I know ZERO about HWH slides (I have Power Gear) and don't have a clue what an "All Thread" is. But a bit of searching I found this thread on www.irv2.com.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hwh...ge-343173.html

This Winnieowners forum is a spin-off of the Winnebago forum on IRV2. And in case you are not familiar with it you'll find it is a much larger forum and it also has dedicated chassis forums, etc.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know ZERO about HWH slides (I have Power Gear) and don't have a clue what an "All Thread" is. But a bit of searching I found this thread on www.irv2.com.

This Winnieowners forum is a spin-off of the Winnebago forum on IRV2. And in case you are not familiar with it you'll find it is a much larger forum and it also has dedicated chassis forums, etc.
I know all about iRV2 been going there for many years... Thanks for the link it is kinda sorta exactly my problem....

I am so confused on what's next. I did get the parts and I was able to re-tap part to 1/2 all thread...

LeeB
Old 02-27-2021, 04:23 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

LeeB-

In case you haven't done so already, you may want to call or send e-mail to iRV2 user "azpete." He helps folks with HWH questions. This post gives his contact info.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would think you could get a new all thread ant most any hardware store for replacement
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LeeB-

In case you haven't done so already, you may want to call or send e-mail to iRV2 user "azpete." He helps folks with HWH questions. This post gives his contact info.
Thanks (Again) l1v3fr33ord1 for your input... I have talked to Paul once (nice guy) and I actully forgot about him...... I am going to try and send him a email..LeeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
I would think you could get a new all thread ant most any hardware store for replacement
I have already done that. But I want to be sure of what I am doing. So I am seeking help from someone has been there done that..LeeB
Old 03-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Not too good.

The other end of that screw attaches to a motor and gearbox under the coach. One on each side.

If the slide is out you should be able to get to it ok.

I don’t think that is just a piece of all thread.
But if it is I would buy good quality metal.

In emergency you may be able crank one side in and push the broken side in as you go.

Might be worth calling a mobile tech.
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Not too Good

I have the same system, it is my understanding that those long all thread rods are for pulling in the slide manually when it won't go in with the hydraulic pump. It takes two people, with socket wrenches so they are turning the right number of turns simultaneously so it doesn't bind. If one or both of your rods are broken, then yes you need new rods to complete a manual retract. I would definitely replace with HWH rods. Just my 2 cents, sir.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your input. I do know how it works, I am seeking someone who has had this problem of the broken All Thread. I am sure under there somewhere the all thread is threaded into something.

LeeB
Old 03-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Is the threaded rod broken or did the circlip simple fail? All I am seeing is a threaded rod sticking out missing the circlip that goes behind the inside washer which is an easy fix since you retract the rod and slide a new clip on behind the inside washer which you should be able to do without removing the mounting plate with the 4 bolts.

You usually need to clean up the groove in the threaded rod where the new circlip gets installed which should have been available locally at a number of hardware, automotive or industrial supply houses. What parts did HWH determine that you needed?

From the pictures it looks like a fairly simple repair.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

More general info taken form Vectra 2005 that should apply to your HWH StoreMore "Flat Floor" with regards to manual retraction. ...However, I can't find any pictures as to what the "All Thread" connects to.

I hope the OP can post pictures and explain his fix to the rest of us who have not encountered this problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slideout Valves Crank Nut (Driver Side - Outside).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	177609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Valves Crank Nut (Driver Side - Outside) 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	177610  

Name:	Emergency Slide Retraction Rod.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	177611  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Thanks, I may have this same problem. My bedroom slide does exactly what's stated in the irv2 link: "As it's retracting it's hangs up for a brief second makes a loud bang and then continues to retract with no further problems."

When mine hangs up, it also tips out (scary) and then straightens after the bang. I never knew anything about the all-thread. I'm not sure if this is a simple fix or not. I'm going to contact HWH and see if there's a local repair shop they can recommend. I have so many other projects backed up, I think I'll just pay someone to fix this one.

Thanks.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #15

Does this "All Thread" turn when you put the slide in and out or just float?

If is turns, maybe that "Bang" or "pop" is the rusty All Thread binding?

What's makes the bang or pop noise and causes the slide to jump? ...Clearly something is binding? ...Or is this caused by a cracked slide triangles or bottom Teflon sliders that each left and right rams slide on?

Oh look.... I can now see what the All Thread connects to in the pictures below. I didn't notice that before!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Large Slide Teflon Guides.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	177635   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a Slide Where Plastic Goes #RAP91028.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	177636  

Name:	5b Slide Plastic Kit #RAP91028.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	177637  
Old 03-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thought some of you with the HWH drop down street side slide might find this interesting while we are on the subject of erratic slide extensions. Lately when, I opened the slide, it would go about halfway out and seem to hang up, move, hang up and move again until it was all the way extended and dropped down to floor level. Retracting the slide worked fine. We were in AZ, so I made an appt with 3T's in Havasu, drove it in and Rick(the new owner) had me run the slide out while he stood outside of it. Right away, he said, it is not the slide mechanism itself.

The issue was the slide topper brackets on each end of the top of the slide had loosened up and was allowing the awning fabric to rub against the slide, causing friction upon extending. He said, give me a couple hours and and I'll shim the brackets. We left for shopping and they called about an hour and a half and said it was done.

He shimmed out the brackets and placed a thing piece of metal shim into the end of the hex rod to tighten it up in the end of the bracket. He did this on both end brackets and resolved the issue.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Does this "All Thread" turn when you put the slide in and out or just float?...
No, it doesn't turn in normal hydraulic activation of the slide. It is only used for manual slide retraction.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #18

I have never used this manual crank method to retract my slide. If you have, can you explain what is involved?

The instructions in the picture above are not clear when it comes to that "stop bolt" and I would like to better understand how that "All Thread" gets locked in place after you loosen the "stop bolt" so you can proceed to crank the slide in one side at a time... or both at the same time if you have 2 people and 2 wrenches.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I have never used this manual crank method to retract my slide. If you have, can you explain what is involved?

The instructions in the picture above are not clear when it comes to that "stop bolt" and I would like to better understand how that "All Thread" gets locked in place after you loosen the "stop bolt" so you can proceed to crank the slide in one side at a time... or both at the same time if you have 2 people and 2 wrenches.
The 'stop bolt' just sticks out inside and keeps the all thread rod from turning by catching the end of the split retaining pin through the rod (which keeps the rod from coming out) and therefore preventing the rod from turning. Backing off the stop bolt allows the rod to be turned. (The OP was missing the split pin and this allowed the rod to come out instead of remaining in place.)

With the stop bolts backed off turning the two all thread rods slowly pulls the slide in. This is faster if you have two people with two wrenches to turn both bolts simultaneously instead of having to go back and forth with one wrench between the two rods every few turns.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Useful posting: Emergency HWH Manual Retraction Procedure RV Slides STORE MORE & LEVEL-OUT Slide Room

Tags
slide