Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

ICC switch for marker lights

2011 VIA 25Q on the MB 3500 base. Marker lights come on with the ignition. It would be nice if I could wire in a momentary rocker switch to flash the lights as a courtesy to those truckers who flash me to say I'm safe to change lanes.
The Winnebago wiring code indicates the wire to the marker/clearance lights is HX/16 YEL. Does anyone out there know if this feeds to a relay and where it might be located or does it feed directly up under the dash? Any advice or photo of its location is much appreciated.: cool:
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Wow! Having a trucker flash you to change lanes is a thing of the past. I have had it happen maybe twice in the past 2 years. I always flash then when they are passing and it is safe to change back into the right lane. The thank you flash is also almost gone.

I am fortunate though. My steering wheel has both buttons to flash.

If you can find the line it shouldn't be to hard to put a push button interrupt switch in there.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Team

I get Thank You flashes from trucks maybe 40% of the time even though I flash my headlights for them when passing 95% of the time.

I don’t pass anyone except very rarely but I use my emergency flasher when I do pass and someone has flashed me back in, which is even more rare.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I use my four ways as well as a thank you and I probably get the lane change flash 40% of the time. My chassis does not give me a way to flash my brights unless I have my headlights on. There are fog lights that I have used in the past to help truckers and other campers safely enter my lane, and I may some day wire in a momentary contact switch to control those lights.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Info on marker lights provided by Winnebago customer service

Brian V from Customer Service was able to respond to my question. The rear marker lights wire from the front marker lights and connect at a two terminal molex? plug above the passenger side windshield post (likely under a false bottom in my overhead storage bins). It appears the wires then travel down the post and under the dash where they become part of a harness. I have yet to take up the top of the dash to track things down but suspect working from the top may be a lot easier than from underneath. There are six pdf files that when printed let you tape the wire trace together and which show the connector designations and wires but not necessarily their actual locations. So finding the correct plug to intercept will be a bit like " Find Waldo challenge" from an early children's book series. I will attempt to attach those six pdfs if this forum will allow.
More to follow once I trace the cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf electrical_guide.pdf (165.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 175759D.pdf (143.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf 175612H.pdf (497.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 175313G.pdf (480.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf 173530D.pdf (226.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf 172686B (2).pdf (133.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I got my wiring diagram from Spartan Chassis, as it involves the chassis wiring. The W wiring is simply a continuation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

marker light wiring

The situation seems a bit more complex. I've been corresponding with Brian V. at Winnebago. My chassis is on MB Sprinter frame, so the wiring is a bit different from Spartan. MB shows a marker light fuse in position #20 of section F55/5 of their under-seat fuse panel. Unfortunately, with the Winnebago modification this entire fuse section is missing. Winnebago apparently tagged the marker lights to another ignition circuit yet to be identified. My suspicion is that it may feed from a circuit breaker panel in the service bay behind the power steps. My interpretation of the Winnebago wiring diagrams is that it feeds to a clearance lamp relay; the location of which is yet unknown but might be one of three relays mounted on top of the MB fuse panel under the driver's seat??? Which relay I am not certain.
A photo and pdf wiring diagrams are attached for those who are interested in solving this puzzle or have knowledge of the marker light wiring on these older Winnebago Via's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_photo of MB fuse panel on Via.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	183347  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page 10 Chassis Electrical Box Diagram.pdf (144.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Scan from MB fuse panel.pdf (776.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 11_wire_175477Chassis Ele Box.pdf (588.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Bummer, I took up the dash panels and support post covers and there were no lines to the marker lights, only to the map lights etc. The two wire connector if it exists is embedded behind headliner and not readily accessible. Wiring under the dash is like a 10 lbs of wire in a 2 lb can with no access unless you disassemble the dash. Not wanting to get quite that involved at this time for a complete tear-down unless I know exactly what I doing.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

In my previous life I just reached down and turned the parking lights on and off. Worked then!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, sadly on this build, turning off the parking lights cuts all lights headlights included. Not exactly what I wanted to signal to oncoming traffic. Perhaps I'm just a bit OC in my quest to find a way to say thank you to those truckers who show courtesy when your towing a car behind the MH.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sounds time to consider the wife's arm out the windeow with a flashlight!!!

Or maybe you have discovered some info to help but it still doesn't show me where the relay is but some info on wires AT that relay and that "may " tell something?

I'll pass along what I can add. Click these snips to get a better look or go direct to the drawings?

Winnebago does a code stamped on the sides of wires as this example shows.
On the drawing you linked as page ten??? I find this small part that shows the lamp relay and it has the code shown on the drawing as PPH!

Using this list to decode the stamped code, we can see wire PPH shows as this snip.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Maybe a couple smallpoints to head the right way---if you can locate the relay? Looks like operating that relay would turn the clearance and some other lights, on/off??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183350   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp relay.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	183351  

Name:	lamp2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	183352   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	183353  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Morich, it was one of your earlier posts perhaps over a year ago that I found your link to the wire codes. That list has been very helpful and yes, it does identify the coded wires for the relay coil just as you have taken the time to point out. You are a great mentor for those who might follow this and other posts. Now my challenge is to locate the relay and hopefully there may be sufficient room to identify the wire connections. May be using a lighted mirror and fiber optic scope for this operation and will post more as I track down the relay location.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Lookie, lookie!!

Look what I found while looking down the list of relays and trying to find one for clearance lights!
Apparently the idea of flashing the lights is not just totally gone!
There are 208 points where "relay " is listed in the PDF but I was not expecting this! It may not even be on this RV but nice to see it mentioned.

It may not help but at least it does confirm the idea is still around?

Click the snip to get a better view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	icc.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	183385  
Old 06-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Not finding a relay listed for clearance light relay, so jumped to what else might get the same done?

What about NOT searching for the relay but just go to the "field" side of the relay and connect to the clearance light hot side between the light and the relay as an easier point to find?

Some questions on the clearance lights.
Do these lights stay on any time the headlights are on?

What about going to the line between the clearance lights and where they get power, add a momentary switch to open that circuit for the flashing?

Theory is that there is a switch to operate the relay and make it close to send power to the lights. So if we add a small push button momentary switch where convenient to interrupt power to one of those wires which feed one of the clearance lights, they might be expected to all lose power to flash. Some checking to see if they only send power to the lights or if they instead operate by making the ground side or even possibly use more than one set of wires. Maybe down one side and another set down the other?

Just a thought to possibly avoid hunting down a relay.
I see on post 7, you have found the fuse, so is it possible/practical to see a way to interupt that power going to the lights? Some checking needed to make sure it feeds ONLY the clearance lights!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clearance2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	183386  
Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Five unknown relays hiding by batteries?

I think not the correct ones but worth a look? I think these will be more RV related than chassis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	relays copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	183387  
Old 06-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Tracking the wire harness

Yes, I've been tracking on this drawing also. The six-pin connector for map lights and sun vizor and the three-pin connector for rope light and front clearance lights are under the passenger side dash cover. The two-pin connector for wire markers HX and MS must follow another route to the rear clearance lamps. This is the two-pin connector I've also been trying to get a location from Winnebago. So far Winnebago claims all tail rear marker and tail light connections are plugged into a MB connector at the back of the Via. Note #3 on the attached exterior wiring illustration is where the Winnebago Customer Service person indicated I might find the lead to the rear clearance lamps. Yet it must feed from somewhere up front which is what I'm hopeful to find.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf External Lamp wiring.pdf (781.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Yes, there are 5 relays in the CE box one for the power seats and two each for the two slide-outs. All are high current relays and connect via buss bar circuit breakers.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thank you to all for the great suggestions. By some fluke accident I had an opportunity to discuss this situation with a UPS driver and found a very simple solution. MB is using a combination circuit and remote relay keyed to the ignition switch to bring on all marker lights when the engine is running. The UPS driver was aware that this relay also works via the emergency flasher which controls the marker and parking lights. Viola! I tried it out and it was super simple....just press the emergency flasher for two cycles to do a double flash "Thank You" to any driver that flashes their headlights to let you know you have clearance to merge back into the lane. I've made a mountain out of a mole hill trying to find a way to flash my marker lights and sincerely hope that others who read this posting will benefit from my ignorance.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Bingo! You win and all it took was patience!

Tags
light, lights, switch