Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I wonder?

And that’s usually the first sign along the road to ‘In2deep’. But, I was looking at the little knee wall beside my stairwell and thought that if I take a trim router and cut out the 1/4” plywood alongside the fire extinguishers hole, I could hang a door on the opening and have a place to hang keys, the remotes for the outside entertainment, umbrellas and whatever else would be handy for coming and going.
Anyone know what’s in there? Sounds hollow but I thought maybe they have a big old metal angle strap in there strengthening the exterior wall.
Attached Images

Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep! I often wonder while wandering and that does get me in trouble at times!
How about a couple thoughts that are so cheap they may not mean anything?
I miight try some research if a stud finder is handy. It will often pick up nail, etc. but if it seems to pick up a piece that runs longer, it might tell you there is a strap , etc. inside? One of the really cool electronic types might also give a good picture but pretty pricey for a one time use. They do give a good picture of pipe and things that don't always show on using the magnet type.
But as an alternate, I find I really don't like to do too many mods that are permanent if I can find other ways to go. For keys and remotes, we like the small Command brand stick-on hooks for the keys and then sew up a pocket for the remotes to hang over the arm where we use them. They can be found ready made but my wife likes to sew them to fit.
Basic idea is a bag of sand or weight of choice sewed in to hang on one side of the chair arm with the fabric going up and over the arm to hold the remotes on the other side.
Cheap, pretty easy and does not degrade the RV with changes other people don't understand?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Team

I’d guess it’s hollow but with some wood framing. Knowing the way the TVs are mounted and entertainment equipment supported with custom metal plates it could also be something like that.

I haven’t looked at mine but I’d expect the wood panel should be able to be popped off.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I think tomorrow we’ll take the next step and pop that panel off. Maybe I’ll run my handheld metal scanner over it first. Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Now we know. After running my stud finder and metal scanner I still wasn’t sure so I was able to pop the top of the panel out far enough to see down inside. After drawing some layout lines I used a multi tool with a fine tooth blade to make an opening. Now we just need to pretty things up, whittle out a door and we have a place to stash things.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakm View Post
Now we know. After running my stud finder and metal scanner I still wasn’t sure so I was able to pop the top of the panel out far enough to see down inside. After drawing some layout lines I used a multi tool with a fine tooth blade to make an opening. Now we just need to pretty things up, whittle out a door and we have a place to stash things.
Congratulations, and with a multitool as well. I've found mine to be one of the best tools ever for this kind of stuff. No RV'er should be without one.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Site Team

WBGO is not very attentive to making good use of extra space. Our bedroom TV is firmly fixed to a large metal plate that's thru-bolted to a space below the TV for a SAT receiver box. Behind it is a large 24" by 24" wasted space about 26" deep. Just fully blocked from use.

Any other manufacturer would have made the TV on a swing out cabinet door to make the space usable.

I'm sure I could make such a TV mount/cabinet door IF I was handy with woodworking or had some decent tools - neither of which is something I possess.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We’ll, I got the opening dressed up today and now all that’s left is the door. I made my opening inside the original framework so I could double up the sides with a couple pieces of 3/4”. Used the plywood cutout to cover the bottom and middle plate and had a piece of plastic shelf trim salvaged from gutting out my pantry to install the washer/dryer. I think I’ll make a run to the local Habitat Restore outlet to see if by slim chance they’d have a door the right size and the right finish. Doubtful but you never know. I’ve been a wood butcher for 40yrs with a full arsenal for every occasion and, Yes BobC, the multi tool has to be one of the best inventions since sliced bread.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Creativepart, we’d looked at a few newer 37F’s and I liked that wardrobe setup better compared to the one in our ‘11. My TV was mounted to a metal mount attached to the ceiling of the slide over the dresser separating the 2 closets. Don’t know but yours may be the same style just upside down. I replaced that TV and it had a flat piece of plate steel mounted to the back of the Tv. The top edge of that plate had a slight bend which allowed it to hang on the mount and was held in place by 2 screws up through the bottom lip into mount. Just food for thought.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Finished up my cubby hole door and while waiting for the finish to dry, I replaced the old dingy stepwell carpet with vinyl plank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C65397B-9CB9-461F-BA57-0E6F4AB4DD42.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	172782   Click image for larger version

Name:	88F043D6-2EA3-4D7C-B88A-4FECF8A7209C.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	172783  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FAB813BE-8D63-4048-A6B0-F204AC775935.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	172784   Click image for larger version

Name:	E917C5F7-82EE-40B8-A141-0BEB7B289E74.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	172785  

Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Very nicely done!
WindBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
WBGO is not very attentive to making good use of extra space. Our bedroom TV is firmly fixed to a large metal plate that's thru-bolted to a space below the TV for a SAT receiver box. Behind it is a large 24" by 24" wasted space about 26" deep. Just fully blocked from use.

Any other manufacturer would have made the TV on a swing out cabinet door to make the space usable.

I'm sure I could make such a TV mount/cabinet door IF I was handy with woodworking or had some decent tools - neither of which is something I possess.
Interesting. Our 2018 32YE has the bedroom TV mounted to a cabinet door above the dresser. The door has been cut out in the center to allow the TV to sit as flush as possible against the door. You might want to see if WBGO has done this on newer versions of your model. If they have, you might be able to order the parts needed from WBGO which would make it an easy project.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote