Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
LnG
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Slide Help Please

Help please! I'm stuck in a RV park in Louisiana because my slides are open and won't close. The problem started with the bedroom. I had to play with the switch, push push wiggle wiggle finally it opened now no amount of pushing or wiggling will get it to close and now the other slides won't move either. My first thought was bad switch, a hard one to find. Winnebago finally got me the right one at least they say so, only took 3 tries. The numbers on the new switch package do not match any of the numbers on my old switch and the numbers on the new switch partly match so I'm not sure. While waiting for a switch I checked all the breaker and fuse panels, all are OK. I have replaced all 5 batteries in the last 30 days house batteries read 13.5 & chassis reads 13.4. Searching the net I find that HWH says their might be a inline fuse either under the front step around the pump or on driver side under/inside the leveling panel. I looked under the step & found lots of wires, most of which look like they have connector plugs inline but nothing I could identify as a fuse or fuse holder. Still haven't taken apart the leveling panel. I called the local Camping World & found I likely know more about this system than they do. Perhaps it's because my rig isn't parked in their lot waiting for service. Please if anyone has had this problem or had to locate the fuses kindly give me a idea of what I'm looking for, how many & what kind. I don't know if I looking for inline or a panel, glass, blade or any other type of fuse. I really am not looking forward to spending the winter in Louisiana! My rig is a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F. Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My advice is to PM azpete asap. He's an HWH employee and is very active in helping people out with HWH issues. He really knows his stuff. He's helped me with HWH hydraulic issues before and I hope he's as good with electrical problems.

Winnebago Owners Online Community - View Profile: azpete
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Maybe, while waiting for a real guru, we might run through some things to kind of clear some confusion?
So I see three slides on the 39F. Does that mean three separate control switches? That would say not a switch problem as we would not expect all to fail at the same time so what might be common to all three is the pump. Any chance of checking the fluid levels to be sure it is okay as that would seem to fit the funky pushout and then quit? I will try to do some drawing looks and see if something pops up.
Meanwhile, you may need the guru!!!

Sorry, at this point the drawings for the 2000-2009 group do not come up as they should, I'm cut off on that.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You may find something helpful here:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml11570.pdf

I noticed that one of the key questions (Part 2, B.) has to do with whether or not the pump works for the jacks.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

How about emergency retract operation from the manual?
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m.../05Journey.pdf
Scroll all the way down to section 13 for the proc. ?
Good luck, just shooting in the dark!~
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
LnG
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Slide Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Maybe, while waiting for a real guru, we might run through some things to kind of clear some confusion?
So I see three slides on the 39F. Does that mean three separate control switches? That would say not a switch problem as we would not expect all to fail at the same time so what might be common to all three is the pump. Any chance of checking the fluid levels to be sure it is okay as that would seem to fit the funky pushout and then quit? I will try to do some drawing looks and see if something pops up.

Sorry, at this point the drawings for the 2000-2009 group do not come up as they should, I'm cut off on that.
At first it was only the bedroom slide all slides have their own switch and the other 2 worked my thought is that a fuse was popped in the changing of the bedroom switch as now all 3 are not working. The pump was changed about 18 mos. ago and slides must be in to check fluid.
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post

Morich-

If you're pulling drawings up on the Winnebago support page, I've found that when you get to the page that lists the models, you need to right click and "open link in a new tab". Is this what you were looking for? I couldn't find the slide wiring but didn't look too hard:

Table of Contents
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just have to ask: Have you checked the level of the hydraulic fluid tank. Unfortunately it is supposed to be checked with all slides and jacks in the retracted position.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

True, you can't check the fluid with slides out in terms of verifying an accurate level, but I don't see any reason you can't check it to determine if there's any reasonable amount of fluid in it. You'll probably need to use a light and/or stick since it'll be below the dipstick. If it's dry or almost dry you can add fluid. The only risk to overfilling is overflowing when the slides are retracted, messy but not damaging.

On the other hand, if you're stuck with the slides out, why not retract them manually and head home or somewhere where you can get help?

I don't think you ever said if your jacks worked.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

This may be too obvious, but is your starting battery fully charged or have you tried retracting your slides with the engine running?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My advice is to PM azpete asap. He's an HWH employee and is very active in helping people out with HWH issues. He really knows his stuff. He's helped me with HWH hydraulic issues before and I hope he's as good with electrical problems.

Winnebago Owners Online Community - View Profile: azpete

I second this recommendation to give Paul Maddox (azpete) a call. He works for HWH, is active on these forums, and seems always happy to help out fellow RVers. His number (as he has posted before) is 602 549 3638 or [email protected] .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Check to make sure the parking brake is set.
kcgrant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Slides

Happened to me in Las Vegas. It was the pump. Had the wife hold the slide switch open and it took three men to push in the slides, three of them.
When we got home had the new pump installed. Problem cured.
poorboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

No followup from the OP for a week?
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

You said you replaced a switch which had a different number, if you have the old one plug it back in and try the other slides. You may have wired the switch incorrectly, not you mistake but the manufactures have been know to change the plugs IE the wire might plug in diffrently.
My problem was a computer issue, I mailed the control panel and main board to them to fix, although the slide and jacks did not work, the jacks went first.
HWH has a trouble shooting sheet to help diagnose the issue, although manual retracting of the jacks is a good last resort in order to move.
Best of luck!
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Just have to ask: Have you checked the level of the hydraulic fluid tank. Unfortunately it is supposed to be checked with all slides and jacks in the retracted position.
A few weeks after we bought this MH the HWH slide and jacks began to operate erratically, I filled the reservoir to the full mark on the dipstick even though the slide was extended. The system began to operate normally, the only bad effect was it pushed the excess oil out of the reservior when the jacks retracted. Technically HWH says the slide room must be retracted, but those are double-acting cylinders-oil on both sides so logically it makes no difference where the slide is positioned.

To the OP; your owners manual details how to manually retract the slide room.
You may also download the manual room retraction instructions for your specific system from HWH here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The inline fuses on my HWH system (one 30 amp, one 40 amp) are right on the pump motor in waterproof (ha!) sockets.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 1998 Chieftan with two slides. Years ago we experienced a similar problem while in Mexico. If we hadn’t have been able to solve it we would still be down there.

We had a HWH(?) hydraulic system. The pump was above the passenger rear wheels. There are three inline automotive type fuses in wires running to the pump. I’m guessing one for each slide and one for the jacks. Check them.
timoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hapendleton to me. Found a in line fuse right next topump. Very hard to see
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnG View Post
Help please! I'm stuck in a RV park in Louisiana because my slides are open and won't close. The problem started with the bedroom. I had to play with the switch, push push wiggle wiggle finally it opened now no amount of pushing or wiggling will get it to close and now the other slides won't move either. My first thought was bad switch, a hard one to find. Winnebago finally got me the right one at least they say so, only took 3 tries. The numbers on the new switch package do not match any of the numbers on my old switch and the numbers on the new switch partly match so I'm not sure. While waiting for a switch I checked all the breaker and fuse panels, all are OK. I have replaced all 5 batteries in the last 30 days house batteries read 13.5 & chassis reads 13.4. Searching the net I find that HWH says their might be a inline fuse either under the front step around the pump or on driver side under/inside the leveling panel. I looked under the step & found lots of wires, most of which look like they have connector plugs inline but nothing I could identify as a fuse or fuse holder. Still haven't taken apart the leveling panel. I called the local Camping World & found I likely know more about this system than they do. Perhaps it's because my rig isn't parked in their lot waiting for service. Please if anyone has had this problem or had to locate the fuses kindly give me a idea of what I'm looking for, how many & what kind. I don't know if I looking for inline or a panel, glass, blade or any other type of fuse. I really am not looking forward to spending the winter in Louisiana! My rig is a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F. Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.
We went thru that last ur. HWH only will talk to mobile tech not consumers. We replaced the motor for hydraulic pump. My husband put it in. He then had a senior moment and over filled it and billows of white smoke came out and I thought we were on fire! Do not fill it with slides open- that caused the overflow. BTW you can close them manually- which we did and lived with them closed till we fixed the pump . Not easy job.
rrambeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide