Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hydraulic Leveling

Never had hydraulic levelers before. On a fairly level site, all 6 wheels stay on the ground when the jacks are down. At home, my parking site is not that level and my right front wheel comes off the ground when the rig is level.

Is this bad for the suspension? Can it stay this way between trips? What should I do to get this wheel supported?
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You will get lots of differing thought on this but this is mine.
suspension have limits on how far they travel and when you lift it on levelers it is very much the same as lifted for service at garages. whether it stays for two hours or two weeks, I see no difference in any, wear or otherwise. I see suspension wear as a factor of how many bounces and movements are made rather than the timing between those movements.
One might make a point that using the jacks for a longer period might put more pressure on the lines, valves, etc. and a weak spot in one might show sooner when left under more pressure but I do not worry that issue much as a weak line is going to fail anyway, so for the convenience, I ignore the small point. Fact is I might prefer a weak point fail while I'm home?
One "Could" avoid the question of the lifted wheel by running that one up on a set of blocks, etc. but is it not a tradeoff for less harm to the tire on the ground which we know is not good for them?
Small points that I have learned to ignore as the difference in long term value is so small that I just assume it as part of the game and maybe only 1% difference for making my life easier and more fun.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
2004 Itasca Sunrise

I agree with Richard. I can see no good reason that the front wheel(s) can be raised slightly off the ground when leveling your rig and doing so should have absolutely no ill effect on the suspension system. I've been told, though, to NEVER let the back wheels lose contact with the ground when leveling your coach since the parking brake keeps it "locked" in place.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #4

I would never raise the wheels off the ground. Instead I carry those corrugated blocks you can stack and I drive up on them. Then I take about 30%-50% off the weight off the tires. Why? ...Because having 10 point of stability on the ground (6 tires + 4 jacks) is better and more stable than just 4 jack-points.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leveling