Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hydraulic hose Leak HWH levelers

Have a leak from the hydraulic hose. The tank and hookups under second step. Is it hard to replace the hydraulic hoses?
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We recently replaced a line (hose) on our main slideout. Doable by a reasonably handy DIYer. But messy. Fluid spill.

I took the hose to a local shop for an exact length replacement as advised by HWH. By the time the new hose was ready, I was broken (not whinin', just sayin') and we were coming up on a planned trip. Our goto mechanic is W W Williams. Drove Miss Winnie down to them and they installed the new hose and bled the system (oh yeah, careful of getting air in the system) in about an hour.

In retrospect, given that W W said the total job would have been about two hours (less line mfg wait), my line cost, stain on our concrete slab, next time W W gets the whole job.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thxs, I'll try not to be too messy
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Oil stains on cement are cured with a handful or two of kitty litter and a piece of plywood. Spread the litter over the stain, place the plywood over the stain, step on it and swirl while applying pressure. Booooom, no more stain. That's the only solution I've got for the entire situation. Ha!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The toughest part is routing the hose. And, the advice about the exact length is right on target. Even if there is excess length don't be tempted to go with a shorter hose. The hose lengths are carefully calculated in order to balance the pressures reaching the cylinders. I know for a fact this is true for slide-out hoses and is likely true for jacks.

Unless parts availability is a problem, you can also order exact replacement hoses from HWH. Each hose has a collar with a part number on it, usually starting with AP.

If the hose is routed through some tight spots, you can simplify the process of installing the new hose by getting an appropriately sized brass connector to connect the new and old hoses together and use the old hose to pull the new hose through.

The bleeding process is pretty straightforward, tighten everything, pressurize and carefully and slightly loosen the outboard end of the hose to let out the air bubbles, being careful to catch any fluid with a rag.

Here's a link to HWH's hydraulic and electrical diagrams that will include the part numbers for the hoses:
https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html

And the best way to deal with hydraulic fluid stains is to spread out plastic under your rig with cardboard and kitty litter under the prime leak points. don't ask how I know this.

You'll also have to top off your fluid after bleeding. If you overfill it won't damage anything but just cause a mess since the tank will automatically bleed off any excess. Here's a link:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi16_02_oillev.html

You'll also find a wealth of information here:

Tech Support, Manuals, Online Schools – General Information – HWH® Corporation
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leak, levelers, hydraulic