Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hydraulic fluid level....

For my Jack's and slideouts tank. I assume the 2 lines on the plug are high and low marks? The fluid doesn't touch the pin, but is only an inch below the top of tank. Fluid is red, what do I need to use?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_163950.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	174264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_164013.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	174265  

SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

HWH recommends either their own fluid or Dexron III. Their fluid is essentially Dexron without the red dye, which can make a mess if you spring a leak. Since yours is already red, its probably been filled with Dexron III.

You should check your HWH manual before adding fluid. In some cases, depending on your RV, there is a config that your slides and jacks should be in when checking fluid level. For example, on my 3-slide RV, it specifies jacks up, 2 of my slides rectracted, but one extended. Yours may differ.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
HWH recommends either their own fluid or Dexron III. Their fluid is essentially Dexron without the red dye, which can make a mess if you spring a leak. Since yours is already red, its probably been filled with Dexron III.

You should check your HWH manual before adding fluid. In some cases, depending on your RV, there is a config that your slides and jacks should be in when checking fluid level. For example, on my 3-slide RV, it specifies jacks up, 2 of my slides rectracted, but one extended. Yours may differ.
I checked with everything up and in. I would think that would put max fluid back in the tank. I'll see if they recommend a config. I didn't see anything initially about the fluid... Dexron III. Thanks
Old 07-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Remember to retract the slides and the jacks before measuring the fluid level. And ya, ATF is what HWH uses.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

Good point. Also, check the manual, because some, like my Onan gen set, say to dip it in, but not SCREW it in to check the level, which ironically, would make your reading event more confusing...
Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you overfill, the excess will be expelled through the plug. It will make a mess, so protect your driveway, but won't be harmful to the HWH system. Guess how I know this.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I need to do more digging because I can't find any info on the fluid level. Everything was retracted when I checked . After tightening, I see the cap on the plug is a little loose for "fluid relief".... lol

Appreciate the suggestions....
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't know which HWH system you have, but on mine, I have the 325 system. In the manual it tells you to look at the "Hydraulic Line Connection Diagram Multiple Room Extensions" diagram about halfway into the manual. On that page there are 3 boxes with info, the last line of which says to either extend or retract room to check oil level. Rooms 1 and 2 are retracted, room 3 extended. Certainly not the clearest and hard to find. Yours may differ depending upon your system and slide config.

And yes, HWH recommends their non-colored fluid in case of overflow versus the red Dexron III for obvious reasons.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm guessing that you're concerned about the fluid not touching the plug but still being within an inch from the top. Measuring the inch isn't totally accurate since "from the top" is a little ambiguous, given the threads, flange, etc. Since you're not the original owner, the plug may have even been replaced with one for a different HWH model system.

This should help (starting at #40):

hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html#SystemMaintenanceQuestions

(For some reason I'm having trouble posting this as a URL, so you'll have to copy and paste the address to your browser. I tried it and it works.)

Follow the instructions and fill it so it's between the two lines. Making sure your driveway is protected against any overflow, cycle your slides and jacks. If you over-filled, it will self-correct via the overflow.

The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is whether or not the plug should seem loose (I don't recall mine being so). The easiest solution to this is to call HWH. COVID aside, I've always found them to be very responsive and, if you need a new plug they can supply you with one.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Something that I found surprised me. We have alippert which seems really poor compared to the HWH we have had on other RV, so there may be some difference but the surprise came when we got setup, run the jacks down and they did not stop when level but continued to go higher until all four wheels were off the ground. At that point, they also refused to come down! So after a couple days with the RV fully in the air but on an almost totally flat pad, I checked and decided on the bold move of adding fluid.
The trouble of getting down was fixed and the book says to check fluid with jacks retracted, so I did and topped off correctly and all has been okay.
So the question is what effect the low fluid had on stopping? I thought that was an electrical item!
And I assume there has to be fluid to retract as well as extend.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I don't know which HWH system you have, but on mine, I have the 325 system. In the manual it tells you to look at the "Hydraulic Line Connection Diagram Multiple Room Extensions" diagram about halfway into the manual. On that page there are 3 boxes with info, the last line of which says to either extend or retract room to check oil level. Rooms 1 and 2 are retracted, room 3 extended. Certainly not the clearest and hard to find. Yours may differ depending upon your system and slide config.

And yes, HWH recommends their non-colored fluid in case of overflow versus the red Dexron III for obvious reasons.
Mine is the 610 series. I'll use Dexron since that seems to be what's in it now, I don't want to mix..

Just found some info. Everything needs to be retracted. On the very back page it shows the plug which looks identical to mine...
Old 07-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm guessing that you're concerned about the fluid not touching the plug but still being within an inch from the top. Measuring the inch isn't totally accurate since "from the top" is a little ambiguous, given the threads, flange, etc. Since you're not the original owner, the plug may have even been replaced with one for a different HWH model system.

This should help (starting at #40):

hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html#SystemMaintenanceQuestions

(For some reason I'm having trouble posting this as a URL, so you'll have to copy and paste the address to your browser. I tried it and it works.)

Follow the instructions and fill it so it's between the two lines. Making sure your driveway is protected against any overflow, cycle your slides and jacks. If you over-filled, it will self-correct via the overflow.

The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is whether or not the plug should seem loose (I don't recall mine being so). The easiest solution to this is to call HWH. COVID aside, I've always found them to be very responsive and, if you need a new plug they can supply you with one.
Thanks for the link. I checked with the plug screwed in, so it's definitely low..... When I measured I didn't include the flange. I'm going to pick up some Dexron and get it to the high mark on the plug... It's parked on sand, no biggy if it overflows....
Old 07-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Something that I found surprised me. We have alippert which seems really poor compared to the HWH we have had on other RV, so there may be some difference but the surprise came when we got setup, run the jacks down and they did not stop when level but continued to go higher until all four wheels were off the ground. At that point, they also refused to come down! So after a couple days with the RV fully in the air but on an almost totally flat pad, I checked and decided on the bold move of adding fluid.
The trouble of getting down was fixed and the book says to check fluid with jacks retracted, so I did and topped off correctly and all has been okay.
So the question is what effect the low fluid had on stopping? I thought that was an electrical item!
And I assume there has to be fluid to retract as well as extend.
I guess my main question was it seemed my tank was low and at what level should it be.

I have a rear jack that doesn't want to cooperate very well. It either retracts extremely slow, or not at all and I manually have to do it. It extends fine..

I bought new springs since the original ones seemed weak. Didn't help a bit. Then I was thinking about the hydraulic fluid level. I'm trying everything b4 I replace the jack, which at the moment seems inevitable....
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

And make sure the valves on your hydraulic solenoids are all closed. They're the cylindrical objects mounted to your hydraulic pump. I believe the newer ones have T shaped handles (my 2002 doesn't).

Another thing I learned about the slides is that you shouldn't partially extend them and then close them. It's OK once in a while but they should be fully extended before closing and, at both extremes, you should hold down the button for a few seconds. It's also a good idea to hold the jack button for a few seconds after it closes.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Yup, checked the solenoids, they were closed. Played with them to see if the jacks retracted when opened. The bad jack came up a little then stopped..... My rig is auto leveling. Push a button briefly and let it do its thing. Same with retracting. Don't have to hold anything...
Old 07-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

And note that the plug/dip stick in the HWH fluid tank should NOT be wrenched in ... it is supposed to be finger tightened. A tech firmly scolded me several years ago when he found mine wrench-tight.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Mine is wrenched. Did he say why not to do it?
Old 07-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Yes, he said never install it with a wrench. He did not clarify why. So, move has been only finger right for at least 15 yrs now. And no tech during service has ever wrenched it in.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I'll make a note to self to loosen it. It will take even more fluid to get to the full mark... Thanks for the tip...
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #20

Dexron-III Fluid Change Tips

I just changed my HWH fluid and discovered red Dexron-III. The factory ships clear Dex-III so I was glad to see the previous owner changed the fluid sometime after he bought it in 2009.

My HWH fluid is supposed to be checked with the jacks-up and only the passenger slide out. So you need to check the model of your RV to find out the proper slide-out configuration to check you fluid level. (See Chart for my 2004 Horizon Models. Your coach may have different instructions on how to properly check HWH fluid levels even if the tank looks the same.)

Note 1: Dexron-III was a GM spec that is no longer patent protected. That means any one can and do put Dexron-III on the label and include things like "High Mileage". Don't use this stuff. Just find the basic Dexron-III fluid.

Note 2: I highly recommend using a 12V-pump to extract the fluid and to put new fluid back in your system.

Note 3: You don't have to do a full fluid change if you want to save some bucks. For example, my old HWH fluid was very clean and 1 quart low. So I removed 7 quarts and put back 4 new Dexron III quarts... and then I used a 10-micron lawn mower gas filter at the end of the pump discharge line... and put back 4 filtered quarts of the old stuff.

Here's the pump I ordered on Amazon for $19: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note 3: I highly recommend you service your Hydraulic Steering Reservoir in the engine compartment too. It also takes Dexron-III and my storage reservoir held 10 quarts. However, this fluid takes a more abuse so I recommend you change all of it or at least 8-quarts out of 10.

Using the 12V pump made changing fluids easy!!! And if you come up sort on new fluid you can always filter a quart or two of the old stuff and you will be good to go for another 5+ years.

...And while we are talking fluids, when was the last time you changed your Allison Tranny Filters? This job is easier than you think. (Watch video below.)

...Every 50,000 miles I change just my Allison filters (my part #29558118, and $70 At Freightliner) and just I just replace 8-quarts of my 19 quart capacity. (I have the 4" pan.) If you want to order Ams-Oil you can call 361-993-6611 for the best prices and turnaround. (4-5 Day TAT.)

...Your Allison only uses TES295 Dexron-III Fluid for don't put in anything else. "Trans-send" is Allison's trade marked tranny fluid and this stuff is made by Castro-oil, but I prefer Ams-oil "Torque Drive" TES295 tranny fluid. ...And again, you can use your pump to put the new fluid back in your tanny without spilling a drop!

Here's a video on how to do it yourself:

...And for kickers, since we are on the subject of fluid changes, FYI, my Meritor (RS-19-144) took 16 quarts of 70W-140, but you can 75W-90 too.)

I don't know about you, but I always feel better after I change my fluids!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200723_204751.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	174489  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, hydraulic