Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
Vectra called Ollie

Hyd system out can motorhome still be used

The HWH control panel that operates both the hydraulic rams and living room slide out has been removed. Being shipped back to HWH for repair. Will be several weeks, or months, before it will be returned We both can survive without the living room being opened and the unit can still be driven. Can we still travel and use the motorhome? Will the slide stay in? Will anything be ruined by the unit sitting down on the air bags for an extended period?
richart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Several years back I spoke to Freightliner support about backing my Vectra into my garage aired down (due to clearance issues.) They responded that a short straight back in/out was ok. They also said that driving any sort of distance aired down was NOT recommended at all. Apparently, it changes the angle of the drive train and could cause damage. You may want to doublecheck with them (1-800-FTL-HELP) about it before you get on the road.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Vectra called Ollie

Thanks emiddleb. Guess I miss-stated that question. The air bag system still works on my unit for driving. My question is about the hydraulic support levelers. Once parked the air bags will leak out and the whole coach will sit down on them. My question is can the unit still be used to live in and use? I know it cannot be leveled correctly but as long as it is close can it still be used without damaged to the air bags?
Old 11-17-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes. The air springs have bumpers inside that the coach weight rests on when the air springs are deflated.
You can carry wood planks to drive onto to get the MH level enough not to ruin the absorption refrigerator. Just level the MH when air springs are inflated, then when they deflate the level should be close to the same.
CAUTION! If the site is unlevel/unpaved and has the frame twisted, I would not extend slide rooms.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
The HWH control panel that operates both the hydraulic rams and living room slide out has been removed. Being shipped back to HWH for repair. Will be several weeks, or months, before it will be returned We both can survive without the living room being opened and the unit can still be driven. Can we still travel and use the motorhome? Will the slide stay in? Will anything be ruined by the unit sitting down on the air bags for an extended period?
We sent in complete circuit board for repair and it was back in a few days at a very low cost. This was for jacks only. HWH is very poor for communicating with customer. Any company that makes you make an appointment to buy a part at a later date is not good service. Maybe it is better now my experience was pre covid .
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #6
Vectra called Ollie

Thanks Ray, IN that is the information I was hoping to hear. We have some small family trips to make through the holidays and wanted to still use the RV.

dojo, our motorhome has been at the dealer since October 1st. First they ordered replacement hyd pump motor and sensor. These took weeks to get delivered. Then they could not get any of the hydraulic systems to work. After days discussing the problems with HWH they determined it was in the control board. This has been removed and shipped back to HWH for their repair. Probably going to be paying more than what the ole girl is worth.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

richart, this might be useful: https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml54800_srvc.pdf
Locate your model leveling system then download the service manual..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-18-2022, 08:51 PM   #8
Vectra called Ollie

Thanks again! This is fantastic help.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #9
Vectra called Ollie

Ray,IN. Wanted to tell you the link to HWH did not work correctly. But it did provide me an address to search on line myself. Took me a while to sort through all their manuals, to find the ones pertaining to my system, but I was able to print out all the information. Thanks
Old 11-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
richart, this might be useful: https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml54800_srvc.pdf
Locate your model leveling system then download the service manual..
Sorry for the bad link to leveling systems, It doesn't work.
This one should work:: https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml54800_generic.html
Here is the HWH service manual for Winnebago specific hydraulic slide rooms: https://hwhcorp.com/ml23521.pdf
Old 11-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #11
Vectra called Ollie

Dang - Ray,IN. You have some valuable information that I have been hunting for! I had already discovered the operator's manual. But had not seen the Trouble Shooting guide. This will be great for me. My RV mobile repair guy refused to even look at the system. Then the RV serve center had my rig for 5 weeks, $2,219, and it is still not fixed. Now I can try to figure this out myself..

Thanks for being on this forum

Tags
motorhome