Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH system is not working (help)

Hi guys, my 97 Vectra has a HWH 610 hydraulic system that has stopped working. I have replaced the pump motor, and relays, cleaned and tightened the grounds but when I turn on the system to level the coach or operate the slide all I get is the pump motor running but nothing else will function. Your thoughts would be welcome. Thanks Bob ☺️
Bobli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:08 AM   #2

Does your 1997 Vectra have a slide?

I will send this information and video to you as a reference, because it's off a 325/625 HWH System and I don't know how similar it will be to your HWH610, but all these jacks form HWH share similar design principles. ...If not, then this inform will be helpful to newer HWH owners and you guys should keep it for future reference.

* If you have a "Shuttle Valve" in your HWH system it regulates hydraulic fluid to both the room extensions and the jacks. And since your problem has to do with both of these systems not working, then I'm guessing the Shuttle Valve is the common link.

Note: Your jacks could just have easily be stuck down. I.e., when debris blocks one of those shuttle valve ports your jacks can get stuck in any position or just not work or work slow.

I think I would try these things first:

* Get a 12V scavenge pump on Amazon for $18 and suck all that Dexron III out of your reservior. (Mine took 7 quarts.) Note: If you recently changed your Dexron III you can use a fuel filter to recapture the old stuff before putting it back in. If your Dexron III is 10+ years old get rid of it!!! ...And buy the TES395 Dexron III or the basic type Dexron III. Do NOT use the high mileage Dexron with additives and don't use any universal type Dexron III/V. You really just want the cheap stuff... and since there is no heat applied in a HWH system the cheap Dexron III will last a long time.

PROCEDURE

* Follow the video on how to test your shuttle valve by swinging that "U-tube" around and then you need to putting a cap on the other end. (Buy this at the local hardware store.) Then run your system and see if your jacks work.

If they do then the question shifts to: "How can I clean out the debris in the shuttle valve so I can reuse it?" ...And I do not know if you can. If it does not work then you have to buy a new one.

* Remove the old shuttle valve and blow it out with compressed air in reverse. That would be through the single pipe fitting and hen out through the multiple little holes. Then replace it to see if this method works? (25% chance?)

* Refill your reservoir and and now see if your jacks work. ...If not, then I think you need another shuttle valve.

Note: I have never performed this repair my self, so maybe someone who knows what you need to do will offer you better advice.

Also, if you have a Fan Clutch Reservoir Tank in your engine bay, this would be a good time to replace 10 quarts of Dexron III there too... using the same scavenge pump to remove the old fluid and put back the new.
Together you need 7+10=17Quarts so you might as well buy it in volume to get a good price.

* I highly recommend use use a scavenge pump to make this fluid transfer easy, quick and clean.

Video:

Video #2:

Scavenge pump $18: https://www.amazon.com/ATPTOOL12V-Ex...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Note: Some one once told me there was a relay that controls the HWH system, but since you can turn the pump on I don't think your problem is electrical. It may still be, so I will send you pictures of where this relay is located from the notes I kept... but your rely maybe located somewhere else. My guess is your problem is a clogged shuttle valve and I don't know if blowing it out with air will work or not? It's worth trying so you don't have to go to the trouble of getting a new valve.

Stewarts in Indiana sells a lot of HWH parts. Call them for advice too! Note: I don't think they like helping people with service issues that much, but maybe you will catch them on a good day?

Scavenge Pump:

https://www.amazon.com/ATPTOOL12V-Ex...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Pump Manifold 'A'  (Side view).jpg
Views:	711
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	176445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Valves - Under Front Steps 2.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	176446  

Name:	2 HWH SOLENOIDS & JACK Diagram.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	176447  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks winnie-wise I am in the process of cleaning and testing the shuttle valve and the check valves . Most likely I will replace all of them and more. Thanks for all the info it is very helpful ☺️
Old 12-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

The expert you need to talk to is AZPETE who very kindly is willing to take phone calls from www.IRV2.com owners.

Odds are your shuttle valve is clogged. ...But I have no idea if you can blow air into it to clear the blockage.

If none of your jacks are going down then the blockage has to be in the main shuttle valve orifice. (Just another guess.)

Are your solenoids making a noise or can you feel them when you apply power? If not, then maybe your problem is electrical and not mechanical.

The control box has a bunch of status lights and I do remember reading that if your parking brake circuit is open then your jacks will not go down. Do you have a "Not In Parking Brake" light?

So you might look into this first. I.e., find the LED light to verify your circuit is working and if necessary trouble shoot it to make sure it's working.

Did you really buy 4 solenoids? ...Wasn't that expensive?

AZPETE CAN TELL YOU WERE TO LOOK NEXT.

You might read this thread about solenoids, and there you will find AZPetes's phone number:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/hwh...ng-509804.html
Old 12-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Winnie-Wise, no I haven't bought the leveler valves yet as I am going threw the other stuff first. I do have a slidout and the valves are next to the pump motor. I plan on contacting AZPete for info. Thanks again for your help. I will keep you guys in the loop and let you know what I find. Bob
Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #6

In that video above it explains how you can verify your shuttle valve is bad or not.

I think this is the right procedure:

* Slightly loosening the U-Tube on the shuttle valve side and completely loosen the U-Tube nut the other side.

* Swing the U-Tube up and out of the way... with the U-Tube connected to the shuttle valve. (No need to cap off the U-Tube open end.)

* Then put a cap on the other side and tighten.

* Run your motor and see if your jacks go down and up. If they do then you know your shuttle valve is the problem.

Note: I don't know if you can clean your shuttle valve or not. This is speculation on my part, but now that I have explained this procedure, and thought about it some more, it would appear fluid enters the shuttle valve from the top of the shuttle valve and then goes out the holes. (I think this is correct?) If I am right then you want to blow compressed air into the little holes and see if any "blockage" comes out the U-Tube end of the shuttle valve.

If this is not correct, and I have it backward, please let me know.

I also attached a picture of the "check valve" and I think there are 4 of these. I read somewhere that these check valves can vibrate loose over 10+ years and then the fluid cuts the O-ring causing a leak on top. You just need to change the o-ring.

I mention it here because one owner said everyone should check these to see if their "check valves" are tight before you blow an o-ring; and I mention it because debris can also clog the check valve.

I think its also reasonable to assume that if you have one jack not working then you may have a check valve problem. Otherwise, it's not your check valve(s) when all 4 jacks will not actuate up or down, because I doubt all 4 check valves can get blocked at once.

Please let's us know what you find? ...And please take pictures if you can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH Shuttle valve for Main Slide.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	176514   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Cap & CheckValve.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	176515  

Old 12-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobli View Post
Hi guys, my 97 Vectra has a HWH 610 hydraulic system that has stopped working. I have replaced the pump motor, and relays, cleaned and tightened the grounds but when I turn on the system to level the coach or operate the slide all I get is the pump motor running but nothing else will function. Your thoughts would be welcome. Thanks Bob ☺️
I you need parts I strongly urge you to use these folks: HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
imnprsd has posted an impressive work-through.

Tags
hwh