Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I had similar issues with mine and went as far as fitting a huge solar panel to just maintain the motor batteries. I have an alarm that I thought was the culprit in draining it but even with that disabled (temporarily!) the batteries still run down over about 2 weeks.

I replaced the batteries with brand new Catepillar ones and all is now well. We use the MH a lot for boondocking and I have been told to expect to replace the batteries every 18-24 months.

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Slowdragon--After many years of living on the hook boating and boondocking in the MH I thank the more you exercise a battery the longer they will last. Just my opinion after lots of reading and years recreation.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Well, it's been some time and I have been too busy with my 'retirement job' to spend any time on the coach but I finally made it out there this weekend. I quit trying to jump the batteries as soon as many of you warned about the likelyhood of explosion! I replaced all five batteries (not a cheap task) and ran the coach on Saturday noting the chassis batteries were at 13.3 when I shut things down. I returned less that twenty-four hours later and noted the chassis batteries were down to 12.9 so I do have an issue. The chassis batteries are disconnected at this time and I will make an appointment with the local Freightliner shop for service and diagnosis. I read here on the board that the Winnebago battery disconnect which became standard in '06 models is a Freightliner part so I will look into having that added during my service. If that can not happen, then I will look for some sort of marine type switch (Perko?).

Thanks all for the help and advice. Hopefully DW and I will be out for the Memorial Day holiday!

I'll let you know what happens with Freightliner.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Bugslayer

Your chassis batteries should read 12.6 volts when not on a charger. It is normal to read 13.3 when you first shutdown. Then they should settle down to approx 12.6. Unless you have charger coming from the house I don't see a problem.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote