Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am moving up to a Journey 36' DP from a 31' travel trailer pulled by a Suburban. I'm wondering if I will need to add a steering stabalizer to the front end. Two friends with MH's have had to do it. What do you folks feel?

Also, since I will be driving a MH for the first time,I would like to take some kind of training course before I go rollin' down the road. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
dbrown048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am moving up to a Journey 36' DP from a 31' travel trailer pulled by a Suburban. I'm wondering if I will need to add a steering stabalizer to the front end. Two friends with MH's have had to do it. What do you folks feel?

Also, since I will be driving a MH for the first time,I would like to take some kind of training course before I go rollin' down the road. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Journey!! Plan to spend lots of time here - there's an unbelievable amount of Winnie knowledge shared here.

My Journey is my 5th MH and I have been very happy with the steering right out of the box. If you're not happy with the steering on yours by all means check all the usual suspects like ride height, alignment, and tire pressures before you start throwing money at it. Some owners like a stronger "on center" feel to their steering and have added a stabilizer for that purpose. Wait and see how you feel about it after a few thousand miles. I'm very happy with mine!

Here's a link to a previous discussion of driving schools. There really aren't many out there, but I applaud your initiative to get the training. You might try the "quickie" course at Lazydays in Tampa first and see if that gives you all you need. It's free if you stay in their campground. Good luck and happy miles!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome, I second what Tomsm said. Be sure all your components are in good order before throwing money at your coach. Bell Crank, Tie Rod ends, as well as having it weighed to get the correct tire pressure and everything that Tomsm said.

Do a advanced search for author John Canfield. He and his wife both attended a school and if you send him a private message, I am sure he willgive you the details. Safe Miles,,,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome to our family!

We have the 36' Journey and I thought the steering was a bit 'loose' so I installed the Blue Ox Tru Center device. It did make a difference. I live in an area with a lot of two lane roads with a lot of crown and the coach seemed to handle better.

However, since adding the Tru Center, I also changed to better tires, Goodyear G670's. Then, I had to send my Tru Center back for a repair and have been without it since last winter (long story...has to do with Blue Ox redesigning the device). Bottom line, my rig handles very well without the steering device.
I will replace it when I get it back but I'm not real sure I really needed it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We own a 2004 39W Journey.

As soon as I got it home, I took it to a local shop for alignment (to prevent improper tire wear and to ensure proper handling).

When we were all loaded and headed out on our first outing I stopped at a local CAT truckstop and got all of my weights. I use the onboard compressor to ensure that my tires are properly inflated according to the inflation table published by the tire manufacturer.

I have not found it necessary to spend additional money on steering.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... Also, since I will be driving a MH for the first time,I would like to take some kind of training course before I go rollin' down the road. Does anybody have any suggestions? ...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>You bet - spend the time and money and take Dick Reed's RV Driving School. We took the full two-day course and my wife who was okay driving the coach on the Interstates got intensive driving instruction over the two days and now will drive the coach anywhere at anytime. I have a full report on our RV pages of the web site.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Coming from a super C on a kodiak chasis to my Journey I had the same question...will I need to add better shocks, steering stabilizers ect.....

Well, after just one trip I realized my journey needed nothing! It was a great ride and very easy to handle. Watch your weight and load distributions and I think you will find you don't need to spend the extra dollars on the coach.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

These same questions came to my mind when I picked up my "new to me" 99 34V Adventurer. After an 11 mile driving course (Interstate and city streets) by the salesman I was off on my own. Put another 40 miles on it around City and Interstate and feel more comfortable driving it. (Drove a firetruck a time or two in a past life) The Salesman (remember Salesman) told me that the design of the steering on the Winnebago (mine is a Freightliner Chassis) is different than other manfacturers and does not require a steering stabilizer. I figured I will drive it a little more (100 mile one-way trip this weekend on two-lane) and see if I agree. Could not tell you if I have shock absorbers on mine or not - Does have an Air Ride Suspension. Probably no help to your situation - but similar to mine.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

dbrown We have a 2000 Itasca Horizon 36 DP and like the way it drives. I would not do anything until I spent some time behind the wheel. The only times I had a problem driving was across open states with a cross wind, states like Kansas with few trees. NC has lots of trees to block the wind. Hope you like your new MH has much as we do.

2000 Horizon
Jeep Wrangler
Wife and Chihuahua
lesgorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Dbrown048: Welcome aboard with the Winnebago Journey, this is a great forum. Before you change anything you should drive the coach. Load the coach with full water fuel and all gear. Make sure the weight is distributed properly and the tires are inflated properly. Then do your research and talk to people. I'm a fan of 3ts handling kits made for our coaches. Check them out on the web and call them when you're ready ( 3tsrv.com ). Also do a search on t3 handling kit and 3ts rv products. Send me a private message and I'll tell you my experiences. Good luck and have fun with the new coach.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dbrown048:
I'm wondering if I will need to add a steering stabalizer to the front end. Two friends with MH's have had to do it. What do you folks feel?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Before you do anything do a search for ride height by Joe-K. He is the definitive expert. Ride height and tire pressure can affect handling a great deal.
As far as learning to drive, I guess a school is okay. I came from a 29' FW and Duramax diesel. I found the MH easier to drive for several reasons.
Go slow, watch your mirrors, swing wide on the corners, you will get the feel before you know it.
Walt
Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

KIWI,

Thanks for the reply. How do I do a search for Joe-K? and is it on this forum?

Thanks,

Dick