Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

how to locate studs for hanging things

Is there a typical distance between studs? Wanting to put a few racks and pictures.
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have an Android phone*, a Walabot is a great device for finding studs, pipes, wires, etc. in walls, both in your RV and at home. They're not inexpensive but are head and shoulders above the typical stud finder. In my opinion, visualizing pipes and wires is a big positive and worth the $. It also works much better than the typical stud finder in localizing and visualizing the studs:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=walabot&c...s_ts-doa-p_1_4

I'm not sure if the advantages of the DIY Plus ($90) over the DIY ($80) is worth the extra $. I certainly wouldn't buy the kit for $180.

*The DIY 2 is iPhone compatible but costs $160.

If you buy from Amazon w/free returns and you're not happy with it, you can easily return it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
Is there a typical distance between studs? Wanting to put a few racks and pictures.
Nope. It's not "X on center" like a house. Expect there to only be wall studs for doors, windows, corners etc.

Plan on using heavy weight command strips or velcro for pictures and only putting shelves where you can attach supports to the sides of inside walls and separations. Never expect to be safe attaching anything with screws to outside walls.

Use places with existing wood cabinets, trim etc to be sure you're not screwing into nothing or worse the outside.

Manufacturers put in wooden blocks in walls where THEY plan to attach heavy items like towel racks, tv mounts, etc. They know where they are but generally they don't share this info with you. I have seen RVs with a sticker on a wall indicating that there is blocking for a TV mount behind, and even on the outside for hanging a BBQ rail. But this is in no way universal.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What's wrong with a regular stud finder? Always works for me. You can also, among other things, download diagrams which show you the internal wall structure of your RV.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
What's wrong with a regular stud finder? Always works for me. You can also, among other things, download diagrams which show you the internal wall structure of your RV.
I've seen plumbing and wiring diagrams but nothing that shows internal wall structure for 2008 models.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You're talking about 1x2 "studs" behind 1/8" masonite. I know on mine a stud finder wasn't all that reliable. I'd definitely go with Command adhesive strips like Creativepart suggested.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just a speculative idea. You can get thermal imaging cameras for Smartphones from $50 up. I'd think if a MH was faced to the sun, the camera would reflect what was more and less insulating in a wall, like a wood block, wood frame, pipe, etc. Just a thought.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive stud finder

https://www.harborfreight.com/prosensor-m10-stud-finder-57218.html

Harbor Freight Tools

FRANKLIN SENSORS
ProSensor M10 Stud Finder
With more sensors, the M10 more accurately identifies the center of studs.
$14.99
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/prosensor-m10-stud-finder-57218.html

Harbor Freight Tools

FRANKLIN SENSORS
ProSensor M10 Stud Finder
With more sensors, the M10 more accurately identifies the center of studs.
$14.99
I'm assuming the studs are aluminum and difficult to find.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

When I had to drill a 4" hole for my dryer vent I used a pinpoint metal detector I had to find the metal studs and will also let you know of any hidden wiring.
harrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Call or Email Winnebago and they will send or give you a link to a digital measured drawing with the exact locations.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

For lighter stuff, the 3M command strips are great. For heavier or more permanent hanging, I've had good luck with 1/8" molly bolts and the nylon "toggle" fasteners (not the typical plastic drywall anchors).
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Call or Email Winnebago and they will send or give you a link to a digital measured drawing with the exact locations.
Winnebago customer service simply told me to use a magnet to find the outer studs and that the interior walls use wood where needed but not in any special fashion. We were able to use a stud finder to locate some wood backing in the bathroom where I want to install another towel ring.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The stud finder is more responsive to metal than wood, some have sensitivity adjustments that can differentiate between wood or metal.

"3 in 1 wire stud finder cable detector" on Walmart.com $23.99 is one. The Franklin Model would also detect Al, steel or wood studs, the draw back is that the composition of the stud is indistinguishable, the sensor would also ring on electrical wires and metal pipes embedded in the wall.
Another approach is to rent (or purchase @ Home Depot - Kline Tools for about $100 ) a "beeper" cable locator and connect the signal injector to the frame of the RV. This method would not locate wood studs, only metal,
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat