Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question How to Fix Fallen Screen/Shade ?

Arrived home to find stern end of screen/shade on driver side sofa window is unattached. Can't figure out how it was attached in first place. Not enough space up there to either see or feel anything. Dinette window screen/shade is okay (so far) but, as said, not enough room up there to see or feel how it's put together.
How do I fix it?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

DC, your shade might be different but on mine the shade snaps into two or three shiny metal clips mounted up inside the valance. They are not on the end of the shade but set in from the left and right edges by 8" or so. Maybe one in the middle too. I have the MCD roller shades.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Interactive parts drawings here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It seems to indicate three snaps at the top which I've marked. but also four screws which might let you remove the valance to access things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shade.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	177137  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Team

The shade over my dinette fell on one side, and it turned out the screws holding in the clip came loose. I moved the clip a inch or two away and then re-screwed it in. That seems to have fixed it and no issues since. Best of luck with the repair.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Interactive parts drawings here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It seems to indicate three snaps at the top which I've marked. but also four screws which might let you remove the valance to access things?
Yep, that worked for me, when one shade in the back was ever so slightly uneven. My eyes would go right to it. So, I had to dispense with the mental annoyance...
Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We experienced the same problem. The rear clip on the sofa side fatigued and broke in half. Replaced clip without removing shade or valance with much difficulty, only to have new clip to break again about a year later. Second time, released other 2 clips and just removed shade. When replacing clip. I placed a flat washer under head of screw in order to make a larger surface of contact to reduce area of stress on the thin metal on each side of slot. Then just snapped shade back into all three clips. Three years later, no problems with shade.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't think this is a fun job no matter how it's approached.

I've fought the curtains out of the clamps to adjust the speed of retraction, and then back in again. It's doable, just not fun.

I also had an RV glass company come out and repair some glass on this very window and they (one person) held up the valance and unscrewed it from the ceiling/cabinet! Of course the shades came down with it and would have been easy to get to the clips (repair/replace) at that time.

The same guy also put it back up by himself, but I certainly recommend it be a two person job. One to hold up the valance/curtains and the other to do the screwing. If done this way you do need a looong phillps head screw bit for your screwgun/driver. I wouldn't attempt this with a screwdriver.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
I don't think this is a fun job no matter how it's approached.

I've fought the curtains out of the clamps to adjust the speed of retraction, and then back in again. It's doable, just not fun.

I also had an RV glass company come out and repair some glass on this very window and they (one person) held up the valance and unscrewed it from the ceiling/cabinet! Of course the shades came down with it and would have been easy to get to the clips (repair/replace) at that time.

The same guy also put it back up by himself, but I certainly recommend it be a two person job. One to hold up the valance/curtains and the other to do the screwing. If done this way you do need a looong phillps head screw bit for your screwgun/driver. I wouldn't attempt this with a screwdriver.
Agree, I have both loong Phillips & slotted screwdrivers. I used slotted to reach up and press one side of clips to get them to release shade. Without taking down valance needed loong Phillips to mount new clip. To make reinstalling easier, aligned shade with clips, started with middle clip, used slotted again to press one side while putting upward pressure on shade. Center clip then held shade in place making rest of procedure easier.
RLCASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

When I was dealing with this, we may have had a different clip style but it worked very easy to tilt the top part of the shade, push the back side into all three clips and then rotate the front portion up to snap all three at the same time.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr