Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to Disable the Cruise Control NOT working when headlights are On ??

a surprising thing i found out not long ago, decided to turn all lights on not just DRL during a heavy rain, and discovered - WHEN HEADLIGHTS ARE ON NO CRUISE CONTROL !!!!

Of course first thought, oh no something else has broken - was just working last trip !!

Of course eventually turn off headlights and by habit tried the cruise control and it worked, so turned lights on and no cruise control, turned lights off and cruise control.

of course this is NANNY mothering us/me from Allison/GM, but prefer it to be MY decision and NOT some electronic NANNY !

Any way to Defeat this 'Feature' other than a new prom chip ??

TIA!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team

You know it's would be a big help if we had an idea of the year, model, floorplan, chassis, etc of the RV you are asking about.

I've never heard of any "feature" to defeats cruise control when the headlights are on. I know this isn't something I've ever encountered myself. But maybe that's just luck?

I did a simple Google search and found that others that reported a similar thing all found it to be a problem with their vehicle, not a standard feature of the manufacturer.

One such result was on a Ford and the problem turned out to be a faulty light bulb in a turn signal/parking/brake light cluster. Here's his response on the fix:

Quote:
Just for future reference, I gave up, went around and changed every exterior bulb and the problem cleared up.

I found that Ford designed the ECU to disable the cruise if it detected any perceived defect with any brake or tail bulb and even though they all worked one must have had a high resistance or whatever and now new bulbs have cured the problem.
Others found broken grounds.

So, again, it might help to know what engine, RV, etc you are talking about. Hopefully, something simple.

Tags
light, lights