Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to brighten interior of Sightseer

My 2009 Winnebago Sightseer has tinted windows and it always seems a little dismal inside. I am considering adding a couple of skylights. The roof is fiberglass and I am able to use a stud finder to find the supports; however, I am wondering if it will weaken the roof structure to cut a couple of 14 x 22 holes for skylights. Any advice would be appreciated.
TNStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

To just cut out the rafters will weaken the roof but if you put in headers then it would keep its structural integrity. With that said the more holes in the roof the more changes for leaking!

How about some mirrors and some indirect lighting!

Another negative thought about sky lights is when at Walmart they never turn off those parking lot lights!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNStreamer View Post
My 2009 Winnebago Sightseer has tinted windows and it always seems a little dismal inside. I am considering adding a couple of skylights. The roof is fiberglass and I am able to use a stud finder to find the supports; however, I am wondering if it will weaken the roof structure to cut a couple of 14 x 22 holes for skylights. Any advice would be appreciated.
Call Winnebago customer support and they will guide you with structural and electrical diagrams if it is advisable to proceed. You do not want to cut into any structure that would undermine the integrity of the aluminum superstructure imbedded in the bowed roof or damage any of the electrical, video, sound or antenna/satellite cables running through the ceiling.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Call Winnebago customer support and they will guide you with structural and electrical diagrams if it is advisable to proceed. You do not want to cut into any structure that would undermine the integrity of the aluminum superstructure imbedded in the bowed roof or damage any of the electrical, video, sound or antenna/satellite cables running through the ceiling.
Thanks! I will give them a call on Monday.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You also need to consider the air conditioning channels built into the roof so you don't cut off the flow of conditioned air throughout coach.

If you have the cherry woodwork and not the light maple then that combined with the three rather dark upholstery options would make the coach feel more like a funeral parlor to me. You might try some light colored furniture throws to brighten things up. My coach was a mirror where the brochure shows the flat screen TV in the Sightseer with another on the back wall in the bedroom along with in the open cubbies in the cabinetry which along with the light oak woodwork and upholstery makes for a brighter coach inside.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Very brave to add skylights. It can be done, but I wouldn't want to.
Much easier to pull more wires and add lights.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I would call the factory first before cutting a hole in the roof, myself I would not do it, when I converted my bus that was the one thing that was on my list of do not but any holes in the roof, even my vent pipes go out the side of the bus. Once you cut a hole your making a place for a water leak and weaken the roof, there must be better ways to let more light in , maybe changing the windows to a lessor tint?
just my 2 cents
good luck
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago uses aluminum cross members in the roof. They connect to the aluminum side frames. I wouldn't cut one of them. There are also wiring channels in the roof foam that you don't want to cut into.

As someone else mentioned, you can call and request prints of the roof. They have emailed me pdf files showing wall construction when I wanted to locate some aluminum/steel plates embedded in the wall.

Winnebago embeds metal plates in the roof and walls where they anchor cabinets and other items that need support.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another option would be a more transparent lid that would let more light in on the front roof vent.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who have responded and I would like to clarify my reasoning for considering installing skylights. Ironically, the brightest room in the Sightseer is the bathroom. This is because it has a rather large skylight over the shower. In addition to this large cutout, there are also large cutouts for two air conditioners, a 14x14 bathroom vent, and a 14x14 living area vent.

I have already upgraded the incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs and replaced the couch with two very light-colored recliners. I cannot remove the tint from the windows as they are factory tinted dual panes. Since I rarely use the bedroom air conditioner, I have considered removing it and replacing it with a skylight. A friend recently purchased a TT that has three skylights and the resulting natural light makes for a very bright and cheerful interior.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded and I would like to clarify my reasoning for considering installing skylights. Ironically, the brightest room in the Sightseer is the bathroom. This is because it has a rather large skylight over the shower. In addition to this large cutout, there are also large cutouts for two air conditioners, a 14x14 bathroom vent, and a 14x14 living area vent.

I have already upgraded the incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs and replaced the couch with two very light-colored recliners. I cannot remove the tint from the windows as they are factory tinted dual panes. Since I rarely use the bedroom air conditioner, I have considered removing it and replacing it with a skylight. A friend recently purchased a TT that has three skylights and the resulting natural light makes for a very bright and cheerful interior.
I'm not familiar with your RV but, if the forward ceiling vent has a fan (Fantastic, etc.) you might consider removing the fan assembly and the round portion of the shroud. You could try this temporarily to see if there is any difference. Additionally, if you have smoked vent covers you could switch to white. Keep in mind that any changes should be relative to geography ... it's very bright and hot here in FL ... maybe not so much where you are. As for skylights, I think the 22" dimension is going to be to large .... probably the standard 14" X 14" will be max.

What color is the inside ceiling and the inside area of your vents?

The other thing that may help slightly is temporarily removing any window screens.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The front privacy curtain blocks nearly all of the light from the windshield and side windows when pulled. Does anyone know of a product that would provide privacy yet let most of the light come through--something like a frosted glass effect?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The front privacy curtain blocks nearly all of the light from the windshield and side windows when pulled. Does anyone know of a product that would provide privacy yet let most of the light come through--something like a frosted glass effect?
When you say "privacy curtain" are you referring to an opaque curtain? Our 2013 Adventurer has 2 power curtains that can be lowered across the front window. One is opaque so no light comes in or goes out. It can only be activated when the ignition switch is off. The other one is a black mesh that allows some light through. The mesh one is also the sun visor. It can be lowered all the way down with the ignition off, but only part way when the ignition is on. It does a good job of filtering the bright sun, yet allows you to see through it.
We don't use it that much as a sun shade while driving, but it does get used regularly when parked to filter either the rising or setting sun.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
if you don't need the forward seats you can mount a ceiling track (aft of seats) and hang one or more shower curtain liners (the translucent ones).
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Check MagnaShade. Roger has some sunshades that will help. I had them on my 08 Voyage which had the same problem. It was so dark that we had to have all the lights on during the day.
I solved that by trading up to a Meridian 42E. Plenty of light----and more lights than you can shake a stick at.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

How about a fake skylight. Should be able to fabricate something that looks like a skylight but run wires to add lights. Maybe add solar if concerned about battery drain.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

A second light filtering shade for the front window for daytime use may be your best option.

I have considered installing a second fully lined light blocking shade on my coach as the privacy curtain we have now is unlined and does not provide that much privacy at night when you have the lights on. Now I am putting up four light blocking sunshades every night and then taking them down every morning to keep the wife and daughters happy.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I contacted Winnebago support this morning and was emailed diagrams of the roof construction for my Sightseer. The technician indicated there should be no problem with putting in skylights as long as I avoid structural supports, wiring, etc. However, after reading the posts from on this forum, I believe I will move the installation of skylights way down on my list of remedies. Instead, I believe I will work on allowing more light to come in from the front windshield during the daylight hours, changing some of the fabrics to a lighter color, and checking out some brighter lighting fixtures.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
When you say "privacy curtain" are you referring to an opaque curtain? Our 2013 Adventurer has 2 power curtains that can be lowered across the front window. One is opaque so no light comes in or goes out. It can only be activated when the ignition switch is off. The other one is a black mesh that allows some light through. The mesh one is also the sun visor. It can be lowered all the way down with the ignition off, but only part way when the ignition is on. It does a good job of filtering the bright sun, yet allows you to see through it.
We don't use it that much as a sun shade while driving, but it does get used regularly when parked to filter either the rising or setting sun.
The last I knew Winnebago was using MCD powered shades on the windshield.
I have them and my opaque shades can be adjusted to come down enough to act as a great sun visor alternative when the ignition is on.
It will still come down all the way when the ignition is off. I took the regular sun visors off when I had the MCDs installed.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You might want to take a look at the MCD American Duo powered front shades. You get daytime privacy with the mesh screen and total light blockage at night with the opaque night shade.
The opaque shades can also be lowered far enough while driving to make great sun visors.

I have the unpowered ones in the rest of the coach. The ones on the cabin side windows are the best thing I have seen to block sunlight from the sides when driving.

See them HERE

Tags
sightseer