Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I went through the steps of winterizing our 2006 Journey 36G today. The manual said it should take about 3 gallons. Turned the hot-water heater valve to by-pass. Turned the second by-pass valve to winterize. Put 3 gallons in a bucket and stuck the suction tube in. When I went inside, and opened faucets, the system sucked up the 3 gallons almost immediately. Pink stuff came out the kitchen sink faucet but none out of the shower.

So I'm thinking - alright the Journey is a lot bigger than my old camper, maybe 3 gallons isn't enough. I go to Walmart and get anothe 3 gallons. Turn on the water pump and again the antifreeze was gone in seconds and the pump was dry running. I did get the shower to show pink. But I still have to do the ice-maker and washer/dryer.

Do I need to go get some more RV antifreeze? How many gallons does one of these baby take? At $4 a gallon, this is getting expensive.

I won't be able to read your responses until tomorrow. So thanks in advance for any input.

Bob
Webtrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I went through the steps of winterizing our 2006 Journey 36G today. The manual said it should take about 3 gallons. Turned the hot-water heater valve to by-pass. Turned the second by-pass valve to winterize. Put 3 gallons in a bucket and stuck the suction tube in. When I went inside, and opened faucets, the system sucked up the 3 gallons almost immediately. Pink stuff came out the kitchen sink faucet but none out of the shower.

So I'm thinking - alright the Journey is a lot bigger than my old camper, maybe 3 gallons isn't enough. I go to Walmart and get anothe 3 gallons. Turn on the water pump and again the antifreeze was gone in seconds and the pump was dry running. I did get the shower to show pink. But I still have to do the ice-maker and washer/dryer.

Do I need to go get some more RV antifreeze? How many gallons does one of these baby take? At $4 a gallon, this is getting expensive.

I won't be able to read your responses until tomorrow. So thanks in advance for any input.

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have an '04 Adventurer. Last year, my first year to winterize this rig, it took six gallons to winterize my rig. My friends said I must have filled my H2O heater. But, I turned the lever to By Pass. Besides, I have a 10 gallon hot H2O heater.

Just as you said, "I turned on the kitchen faucet and it sucked the bucket dry." Nothing came out of the bathroom area until I added more RV antifreeze.

Yeh, I'd like an answer to your question, too.

PS: Cannot winterize my rig right now as it is in the shop due to some burglars attacking it.
Winter Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Did mine yesterday almost 9 gallons and nothing went into the water heater. As I recall I did it myself a few yrs ago it was nearly the same amount, mine is the 39.5 DL. I probably did not need to put more than a cupful or so in the holding tanks but I put in about 1/2 gallon in each.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Usually will take 2 gallons. But the check valve was stuck.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I just winterized mine and used 3 gals.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Our rig uses about 2 1/2 gals in the lines and the remaining 1/2 gal for the p-traps, etc. I agree, it sounds like a valve somewhere is not valving.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I must just be cheap..I use 2 gallons each year. I drain the water heater and all the lines, blow out the lines (including the ice maker line) with air, by pass the water heater, then pump one gallon of the pink stuff thru the toilet and at the bathroom sink (that takes care of the toilet and makes sure the pump is winterized).

I use the second gallon to pour down the drains for the P traps.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

OK, so for us who have used over 7 gallons, where does it go if its not going into the hot water heater and nothing is going onto the ground??? I would much rather use 3 gallons.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Are you sure nothing is going into the water heater? The first year I did my Meridian 36G the by-pass valve didn't close just right for some reason and I could see pink running out of the heater drain. Since then before I drain the fresh water tank I drain the water heater, turn the by-pass valve, then turn on the water pump to see if its pumping any water into the heater. If not then I can drain the fresh water and proceed with winterizing. I usually go thru all the procedure twice, expecially the W/D, just to me sure plenty of pink is everywhere and it will generally take 4-5 gallons, including some for the p-traps. Last year I forgot and left the drains open back in the utility compartment after draining the water there and I pumped almost a gallon out on the ground before I realized it and had to go get some more.
If the pink stuff is not coming out a faucet nor going out on the ground, it almost has to be going into the water heater.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As others have stated, almost certainly one of the check valves at the heater has failed, allowing the antifreeze into the water heater tank. You can verify this by opening the drain plug on the heater tank--if you get antifreeze out that's where it went. I had to replace one of the check valve on my water heater for that very reason last year.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

When I winterize, I drain my H@) heater and leave the plug off the tank. No pink stuff flowed out.

So, again, where is my 6 gallons going?
Winter Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if your somehow it's going into the fresh water tank? I used a little over 3 gals. I did blow the lines before adding anti freeze. I also leave the hot water tank plug out. I start by flushing, and opening fausets in the bathroom, then kitchen, and finally outside shower, and city water valve. I just blow out the icemaker valves and leave unhooked, and wrapped in a plastic bag. It took a half gallon to run thru the washer. Let us know when you find where your extra anti freeze is hiding.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Pull the drain plug on the water heater, I'll bet you will find anti-freeze in the tank. I just winterized mine for the 7th time and it took 2 gallons including the traps, as it always does.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll pull the plug on the hot water heater and see if it's going in there.

Wondering if it's going into the water tank too.

I'll work on it today and post if I find out anything.

Thanks again.

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

1 gallon.
first drain all water.
by-pass hot water tank.
blow lines with air.
draw in 1 gallon antifreeze.
blow out lines again with air.
antifreeze makes it to all faucets, indoor & outdoor shower and toilet.
antifreeze that now comes out is for the traps.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Don, that's how it use to be on my old Class C. But not with this one.

Here's what I found out...

I pulled the plug on the hot water heater - 5 gallons of RV antifreeze of the 6 came out. So I decided to check and see if the hot water (HW) by-pass valve (HWPBV) was working. Hooked up the garden hose to the water inlet. Turned the HWBPV to normal - water came out the HW tank. Turned the HWBPV to by-pass - water came out of the HW tank.

So I'm thinking maybe their has to be some electricity on for the selinoid to work (duh). Turn on the generator, house electric, etc. Go through the same procedure - same result. Heck, must be a bad selinoid. Now what... go get 13 gallons of RV antifireeze until I get the selinoid fixed?

My wife walks by and asks hows it going... I tell her what I've been going through - that I'm on my way to Walmart, where's the checkbook. She says - why don't you fill up the HW tank with water then suck in the antifreeze to the faucets etc. Then empty the HW tank. - it worked! She's so smart. Guess that's one of the reasons I married her.

Next I need to take a look at that selinoid. Any idea where it is? And how hard it is to get to?

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Your hot water tank by-pass valve should be a manual valve. Maybe the knob is spinning and the valve is not moving? You will have to access the valve behind the panel to check it.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If the check valves are not working, the by-pass valve may not work because of the check valves.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

On my shake down trip, a check valve went bad. The valve was on the back of the hot water tank. I now have one as a spare. The mechanic said this check valve was to keep anti freeze out of the HWT. It also shut the hot water flow off, ( no water would come thru the hot side!)The plastic insert plugged it off. I would think you would want to replace that valve, because it could give you a problem like I had. The valve was under ten bucks.
After watching the mechanic it wasn't that hard to replace. I found an opening behind the HWT that made access easier, thanks to this forum.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote