Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

imnprsd, I tried unsuccessfully to look up your 17A charger. The only one I can fine rated for 17A is a DC to DC for 24VDC.

One use case I failed to perhaps enumerate, is the desire to charge chassis batteries while on generator power.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #42

Just picked up my RV in TX... Went to Hot Springs, AR for a soak... Now in NOLA... just following the sunshine behind the storm fronts. Life is good!

Here's where I bought my Victron 17A on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Blue-...8173284&sr=8-1

You can get a 25A too, but I don't see the need.

For clarification, I don't use the Victron when I'm driving. I just let the alternator do the work; and the Keyline VSR is always in play. And this way my house batteries are always fully charged when I reach my destination.

When I do use the Victron it will be when my generator is running or when I have shorepower.

And the only time I use my RV-Dimensions-Charger at 1/2 or full charging power is when I might be dry camping and I want a fast charge. ...And in this case my inverter is either turned off or it automatically goes to standby.

I mounted the Victron in my bedroom. (See previous pictures.) So when I want to use it I just unplug it from the bedroom wall socket. ...Remember, my battery tray is behind my rear tires so you owners with batteries up front will want to position the Victron elsewhere.

ENERGY SAVING TIPS

I just installed these LED lights in my bathroom vanity and they are so bright I just need 2 instead of 4. Note: I put a piece of velcro in the 12V sockets I did not want to use so the power never flows; and then put the old back in it's socket, which is called a "BA15S" if you want to know that.

I went with "natural white" (4K-Kelvin)... but I see Amazon is out of these at the moment. Note: They are well made and priced at $33 for 4 bulb. When you do order 4 you probably will find you only need to use 2 bulbs in the fixture above the vanity and 2 in the toilet closet.

Note: Those old school round bulbs burn hot-hot... so don't touch them until they cool down! ...And that's amps out the door!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Likewise, if your lounge area has 2 ceiling light fixtures, I recommend you cut out your old transformer (that step-up the 12V to 110V) and just install some T8-12V LED fluorescent looking lamps 18" long. ($60 for 4 T8-15, which are really 18" long.)

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Ro...174449&sr=8-12

My kitchen bulbs are 36" long, but why spend the money to replace these as the other LED lights will take care of you when boondocking... but that's up to you. I think some people talk about replacing all the LEDs in the coach, but when you get down to it, there are only so many lights we use, and when you boondock, when battery power really counts, why spend money on LED lights you don't turn on anyway!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries, engine