Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How install Camco extend a stay on 1998 Winnebago Brave SE 29A

I can't seem to get the Camco extend a stay kit on my 1998 Winnebago Brave SE 29A. The regulator is below the handle to turn the propane on and has a elbow connector and the Camco kit is a T shape and obviously does not fit. What can I do to get it on there or do I need a different kit? and if I do need a different one which one should I get and where can I get it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my rv propane tank.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	176010   Click image for larger version

Name:	camco extenda stay thing 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	176011  

Name:	my RV propane tank regulator.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	176012   Click image for larger version

Name:	propane tank set up to regulator.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	176013  

winnieslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

i would suggest just figure out the 'where' & how to immobilize/mount it safely.

then get brass fittings/hoses/etc to solve the routing issue, use of hose(s) makes location flexible and can loop houses for a 90 degree or variable degree location - less is better but no reason for just solid brass fittings is there ?!

meaning simply design a solution that works and then go buy fittings/hose/whatever to solve your design, ask for suggestions from the auto/hw/parts store - take a pic/drawing of your design.

you can do it !!

GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
i would suggest just figure out the 'where' & how to immobilize/mount it safely.

then get brass fittings/hoses/etc to solve the routing issue, use of hose(s) makes location flexible and can loop houses for a 90 degree or variable degree location - less is better but no reason for just solid brass fittings is there ?!

meaning simply design a solution that works and then go buy fittings/hose/whatever to solve your design, ask for suggestions from the auto/hw/parts store - take a pic/drawing of your design.

you can do it !!

GL!
Thanks but if I knew how to do all that I wouldn't be asking for help on this forum. I need details like how to get the cover off the regulator, what kind of fittings will I need, sizes, or possibly a different extend a stay kit. I was hoping that someone on here my have a Winnebago with the awkward setup having the regulator below the gas line cut off valve when in most rigs the regulator is across from it not under it and this is where my problem lies.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

tank of propane --> manual on/off sw --> regulator --> 12v elec sw? --> devices (heater, oven, etc....)

so where do you need to insert you 2nd tank and quick/connection ?

before the regulator or after ?

I would assume you want it before the regulator ?

if after regulator, what is under the cover and is there a connection to add your stuff ?

OR pick the connection 'kit' from your source you need now that you see the setup.

GL!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Step one might be to ask what purpose you have in mind for the extend a stay as there are different uses for different people.
Are you wanting to use a second tank as a way to not have to leave camp?
Or are you wanting to use the new line as a source for using the existing tank for a grill, etc. outside?
Purpose decides if you want it to be before or after the regulator as we usually only want one reg in the line. If you are wanting to add the tank for use inside the RV, then you want it between the existing reg and the tank cutoff. But if you want it to feed a grill that doesn't have a reg, then you need it inline after your existing reg.
But the reason for many to not respond is often the safety factor. If one does not have a certain level of experience with dealing with gas, it is often far better to not blow yourself up!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winnieslave, to clarify a little bit...I see a metal brace that is welded to the tank about 5 or 6 inches to the left of the tank on/off control valve. Are you trying to say that you cannot put the Extend-a-Stay in line with the tank on/off control valve because that metal brace is in the way? Hard to really tell from the picture.

If that brace is not in the way, with the tank valve off, you just unscrew the connection at the valve and insert the Extend-a-Stay in-line with that connection. Your regulator still hangs down but is moved further to the left.

Edit: Another note - you should not have to take the cover off the regulator to install the Extend-a-Stay, but if you do there are a couple of small screws on the back of the cover that screw into the regulator. You have to disconnect the gas line from the tank to be able to get access to those screws.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Step one might be to ask what purpose you have in mind for the extend a stay as there are different uses for different people.
Are you wanting to use a second tank as a way to not have to leave camp?
Or are you wanting to use the new line as a source for using the existing tank for a grill, etc. outside?
Purpose decides if you want it to be before or after the regulator as we usually only want one reg in the line. If you are wanting to add the tank for use inside the RV, then you want it between the existing reg and the tank cutoff. But if you want it to feed a grill that doesn't have a reg, then you need it inline after your existing reg.
But the reason for many to not respond is often the safety factor. If one does not have a certain level of experience with dealing with gas, it is often far better to not blow yourself up!
The reason I want the extend a stay is because right now my tags are out on my RV and I am on a fixed income and the tags are $500. which I am saving up for so that being said, I cannot move my RV to go get propane in my onboard tank. I also want quick connect for my propane grill which is why I bought the Camco extend a stay kit because I would be able to fuel the propane appliances inside my RV as well as have the use of my outdoor propane grill. The kit says that when I do fill up my RV propane tank I can simply disconnect the portable tank with quick disconnect fittings. This sounds good to me because when I am out of propane I can just put my 20 lb propane tank in my car trunk and go trade for a full one at the store. My RV is 30 amp power and running off my cousins 15 amp outlet in their house so running space heaters to heat my RV blows the breakers and could be a fire hazard. I watched all the Youtube videos on how to connect the Camco extend a stay and it is supposed to go in between the regulator and the on/off cut off valve which I cannot do, if you look at the pictures I attached they are sideways I don't know why they loaded like that but the on/off valve is actually above and to the right of the regulator and they are connected with an elbow shaped brass fittings. The camco extend a stay is T shaped and I have taken pics and my kit to hardware stores and they couldn't figure it out either. The regulator cover only opens up but can't be taken off and the regulator appears to be permanently affixed to my propane tank which really is confusing because if I knew how to get it to move I could very quickly attach the Camco kit with some adapters I bought but if the regulator is unmoveable the area between the on and off and the regulator is such a small tight space normal fittings won't fit.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
tank of propane --> manual on/off sw --> regulator --> 12v elec sw? --> devices (heater, oven, etc....)

so where do you need to insert you 2nd tank and quick/connection ?

before the regulator or after ?

I would assume you want it before the regulator ?

if after regulator, what is under the cover and is there a connection to add your stuff ?

OR pick the connection 'kit' from your source you need now that you see the setup.

GL!
To run the heater and propane cook stove inside my RV I need to put the Camco kit in between the on/off cut off valve and the regulator so I can run a portable propane tank to my RV as I cannot move it right now to get propane. For some reason the regulator appears to be permanently affixed to the propane tank but in all the videos I watched the regulator was under a cover as mine is but they were able to easily move the regulator. I don't see any screws holding my regulator on but something is because it won't move. If I could move the regulator I could install this kit.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Winnieslave, to clarify a little bit...I see a metal brace that is welded to the tank about 5 or 6 inches to the left of the tank on/off control valve. Are you trying to say that you cannot put the Extend-a-Stay in line with the tank on/off control valve because that metal brace is in the way? Hard to really tell from the picture.

If that brace is not in the way, with the tank valve off, you just unscrew the connection at the valve and insert the Extend-a-Stay in-line with that connection. Your regulator still hangs down but is moved further to the left.

Edit: Another note - you should not have to take the cover off the regulator to install the Extend-a-Stay, but if you do there are a couple of small screws on the back of the cover that screw into the regulator. You have to disconnect the gas line from the tank to be able to get access to those screws.
I tried that, the regulator does not move.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnieslave View Post
I tried that, the regulator does not move.
The brace is not in the way. The photos uploaded sideways I am not sure why. If you turn the photo where the regulator is on the bottom you can get a better idea. The on/off is above the regulator and to the right. The cover is open on the regulator right now because I am working on it. I removed the elbow fitting but (not shown in the pics) but the regulator still does not move. The gas line is disconnected now and I don't see any screws on the back of the cover. I don't think they would put screws on the back where it would puncture the propane tank. I am wondering if it may be glued on by the factory maybe?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Okay, thanks, that provides some clarification. When you disconnect the propane line from the on/off valve, can you wiggle the regulator and its plastic housing at all or is it solidly attached to the tank? Can you wiggle the regulator but the plastic housing stays rigid to the tank?

Is it possible that there is an angle bracket that is attached to the tank that secures the bottom of the regulator where the 90 degree fitting attaches for the flexible gas hose? You can see the flex hose going off to the left in your photo. You cannot see the 90 degree fitting in the photo because it is covered up by the bottom section of the plastic housing.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

For pictures there is info embedded in the data and when you turn the phone over, that info makes the forum turn it, so any time it does this, try taking the picture with the camera turned 90 degrees!
There are some mods showing but I would not think it glued but there is some small point you are not spotting, so maybe we can do some guessing and let you look?
Pictures can make us see things that are not there, so ignore this idea if it is not true!
Do I see some form of fasteners at the points marked in red? Possible a stud that has a nut on the backside to remove?
Or is it possible that the reg is actually not attached but only held by the box and will come out if the fittings on each end are taken off?
For use inside the RV, the gas does need to go through the reg, so add the tee before the reg but then if you want to use that tee for a grill outside, make sure the grill does have a separate reg to cut the pressure there.
Really hard to see exactly what fittings are needed but it may be that you need to do an el done and then an el to the left to get the reg moved, but that may also involve needing more pipe at the output end as well.
Just keep in mind that metal is hard to work and if you get involved in grinding to remove the metal, propane is not something to let you know before you get too close!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Okay, thanks, that provides some clarification. When you disconnect the propane line from the on/off valve, can you wiggle the regulator and its plastic housing at all or is it solidly attached to the tank? Can you wiggle the regulator but the plastic housing stays rigid to the tank?

Is it possible that there is an angle bracket that is attached to the tank that secures the bottom of the regulator where the 90 degree fitting attaches for the flexible gas hose? You can see the flex hose going off to the left in your photo. You cannot see the 90 degree fitting in the photo because it is covered up by the bottom section of the plastic housing.
There is no angle bracket the plastic cover does not move and the regulator does not move.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well, I was going to double check what you are suggesting but it started pouring down rain so I will have to do it tommorow and get back to you and I will try to take pics from a different angle.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I tried rotating the photos

One photo is the whole set up and the other is the side of the regulator I was looking for a bracket so I can figure out how to get the regulator to move out of my way. I tried rotating the pics hopefully someone will see what I am not seeing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side view regulator.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	176037   Click image for larger version

Name:	my propane tank regulator rotated.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	176038  

Old 11-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

so unless a place to hook into on output side of regulator under that cover, your ONLY access is before the regulator, no ?

so it drives your solution, remove the right angle connections upstream of the reg and insert your stuff, add couplings/hose as needed - then you need maybe some pressure regulation on your grill or just use the main valve to ease the propane out.

should be straight forward solution, where else can you connect ????

be careful !! GL!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Failed to add my picture on the other post!
See if this might make sense?
Cut off the metal bracket holding the reg, etc and turn them to lay down, running off the left on the picture, then add the tee and whatever short pipe nipple and an el at the bottom to connect back to the reg? That would require adding some sort of board to support the reg but would be making the output side shorter so that it would not need to be replumbed if lucky?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cut2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	176044  
Old 11-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
so unless a place to hook into on output side of regulator under that cover, your ONLY access is before the regulator, no ?

so it drives your solution, remove the right angle connections upstream of the reg and insert your stuff, add couplings/hose as needed - then you need maybe some pressure regulation on your grill or just use the main valve to ease the propane out.

should be straight forward solution, where else can you connect ????

be careful !! GL!
It's not that easy. As you can see from the photos there is a brass elbow connector between the On/Off and the regulator which is exactly is where the T shaped extend a stay kit needs to go. The regulator in most Winnebagos is directly across from the On/Off so the T kit would be easy to put in. However, mine is different for some reason. There is not enough room to add more fittings and the Camco T, the regulator needs to move because my regulator is Below and left of my On/Off. In the photos I have opened the regulator cover but it is still attached somehow. Both regulator and cover are firmly attached they do not slide left or right or up or down. I need to know how to unattach them.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

sure there is room, you have 3D space!!!!, why do you think i mentioned using hoses, use a right angle outward for room from on/off sw, connect hose OR your stuff, then use hose to route back to regulator OR now you have all the room you need, attach hose other end to your stuff or reduce it appropriately and then connect back to regulator - use your imagination - DESIGN the solution - do not be helpless !!

as to the regulator, it is mounted on black sheet metal plate and there is NO reason for it to be attached back into tank is there, so it is just a solid mounting, surely it is removable and if so you can do whatever you need to do, drill holes relocate it or whatever you need for added space for your stuff ?

OR waste $$ and get a 'pro' to overcharge for the solution you could come up with - your choice !

ps: not trying to be a hard a$$ just no need to be helpless either - seek help from counter salesman where there are brass connections and hose and such so design can be comprehensive, they seem to be very helpful in my experience - but YOU must lead the design/solution - they will NOT solve it but help you, i would think.

GL!!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
sure there is room, you have 3D space!!!!, why do you think i mentioned using hoses, use a right angle outward for room from on/off sw, connect hose OR your stuff, then use hose to route back to regulator OR now you have all the room you need, attach hose other end to your stuff or reduce it appropriately and then connect back to regulator - use your imagination - DESIGN the solution - do not be helpless !!

as to the regulator, it is mounted on black sheet metal plate and there is NO reason for it to be attached back into tank is there, so it is just a solid mounting, surely it is removable and if so you can do whatever you need to do, drill holes relocate it or whatever you need for added space for your stuff ?

OR waste $$ and get a 'pro' to overcharge for the solution you could come up with - your choice !

ps: not trying to be a hard a$$ just no need to be helpless either - seek help from counter salesman where there are brass connections and hose and such so design can be comprehensive, they seem to be very helpful in my experience - but YOU must lead the design/solution - they will NOT solve it but help you, i would think.

GL!!
What kind of hose? A regular hose for propane wouldn't have the correct fitting to go into the On/Off.

Tags
brave, install, winnebago