Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
For whatever it's worth, I had zero gap on the slanted part of the converter with just the two exhaust clamps. The closer the exhaust clamp got to the converter the more the gap closed up.

I may be able to get a picture tonight with the flash, I can zoom in so it is clearer. I am in no rush to apply tie wraps, and I am one of those guys that love advice. I have one goal and that is to get it as best as possible and as cheaply as possible I think I know the issue though. Even though I have a 4" clamp, I could not get both catstraps inside the clamp given the the top catstrap has the cat collar. So that bottom catstrap is going over the 4" clamp and into a 3" clamp right next to it.

It looked like that end of the strap was run over the upside down clamp instead of under it but the pic is a bit fuzzy.

Yes

Don't expect those steel bands to do much. They seem to pull the strap tighter against the exhaust to facilitate a tighter adhesive fit.

Yes, my hope is they hold at least until it is able to seal. I got some more money; so I can buy more clamps if need be

After I pulled mine tight using a tool, I bent the end back over the end and then cut the excess off. I didn't want the metal bands pulling out in the future and doing tire damage to me or anyone else.

Ray
I will be sure to clip the ends of tie wraps.

I know the theory of the Cat Collars, but not sure they are needed. Those wires are still pretty tight. I have 4 cat collars, but you loose a good 1/2" when using them.

I am gonna invoke a 48 hour rule on myself so I can take my time to see what I can improve BEFORE finishing it up next week.

Did you see or have any comment on the backside? I tried to run the catstraps so you could easily see catstraps no matter which side a thief may attempt to roll under RV.

Also, one of back pictures show the sensor. In my case since I did not use the tubular cross member; I wrap the plastic tie wrap around the sensor itself to create a space in between that rear transmission bracket.

Update: I just took a better picture zoomed in. I recall not being able to get both catstraps inside the 4" clamp. Wish there was a way to extend the length of the bolts? The other thing is that now I know exactly where everything is positioned, I may be able to temporarily move the clamps to the right and try again with the right 4" clamp. If necessary I can remove the cat collar from the top and it will fit for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220903_194347.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	184031  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #42
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC
I asked the claims person at Progressive if they had any recommendations as to deterrents and, surprisingly they don't. All I got was "I've heard about....".
This fellow devised a very effective deterrent but it's not one I would ever use, as far as a catalytic converter thief knows...

https://jalopnik.com/suspected-catal...dra-1847107538

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #43
NXR
Winnebago Owner

The exhaust clamps I bought must have had longer U-bolts because I've got plenty of thread with those.

I think you're as good as you can get but yeah, the 48-hour rule was several days for me. I figured if I got hit before the adhesive was bonded a thief would either take one look and walk away or not.

Those thin metal bands take the sag out of the CatStrap on the bottom so the strap is tighter against the exhaust when the bonding starts.

Ray
Old 09-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The exhaust clamps I bought must have had longer U-bolts because I've got plenty of thread with those.

I think you're as good as you can get but yeah, the 48-hour rule was several days for me. I figured if I got hit before the adhesive was bonded a thief would either take one look and walk away or not.

Those thin metal bands take the sag out of the CatStrap on the bottom so the strap is tighter against the exhaust when the bonding starts.

Ray
I am gonna try again. You raised the question and I feel a sense of obligation to at least give it a try. I love your info and help. Given me the courage because I was gonna pay someone to do this

Besides, it looks like I got both straps on rear side of the neck? Unless the necks have different diameters, I think if I remove a few of the clamps on front neck and focus on re-clamping starting with the neck; to the end; I may have better chance. I will try again either tomorrow or Tuesday.

When I do get it set and ready to apply the metal tie wraps, I will use the wraps as if it was duct tape to hold just for gluing. I got 20 of the metal wraps so I will use them liberally.

My RV has been parked at my spot at home for 3 years, I have motion lights and cameras already. The siren is proving to be awesome. No false alarms, except for me forgetting and going back underneath for more pictures

Another thinking man's question for you. When it is ready to start up and drive to heat the adhesives; do I need to drive the RV continuously for 2 hours, or can I just drive like normal, 30 min here; 20 min there; until you eventually hit 2 hrs?

Btw, I got an email from the Catstrap folks, just following up & checking in on me. It was late in coming, but they have really impressed me.

When I get this all finished, I am gonna send pictures to progressive. They told me 2 years ago that they don't offer discounts for theft prevention, but I am gonna make them pay for it one way or the other; even if I have to reduce my coverage for a few months. In my mind, I have basically bought a deductible to ensure they don't have to pay out a claim
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
For some reason, the thieves only stole my passenger side converter.

So you must have had one of those moral conscious character thieves that wouldn't think of stealing 2 cats from the same guy the same night

I asked the claims person at Progressive if they had any recommendations as to deterrents and, surprisingly they don't. All I got was "I've heard about....".
I figure that as of today, it is cheaper for Progressive to just payout the claims and take the windfall profit they can get by raising everyone's rate whether they had a claim or not.

You can be sure about one thing, if Insurance companies were losing money, they would have more to say.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:42 PM   #46
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Just do the best you can at closing any gaps. That'll be good enough. When I talked to the CatStrap folks that was one thing they stressed and asked to see pictures. They said it looked OK. Maybe someone could get a pair of bolt cutters in a gap as well.

For their warranty you do need to retain pics of the installation, of which you seem to have plenty.

I, too, am unsure of the true value of those clamps. They're supposed to allow the cables to move slightly side to side to keep any saw blade from getting a good grip. Without them the exhaust clamp probably locks those cables down tight. I'm sure they have test results proving their value, though.

I had the alarm go off once when a cat walked underneath during the night. The camera caught the cat meandering from the back forward and then all of a sudden it was gone.

Ray
Old 09-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Just do the best you can at closing any gaps. That'll be good enough. When I talked to the CatStrap folks that was one thing they stressed and asked to see pictures. They said it looked OK. Maybe someone could get a pair of bolt cutters in a gap as well.

For their warranty you do need to retain pics of the installation, of which you seem to have plenty.

I, too, am unsure of the true value of those clamps. They're supposed to allow the cables to move slightly side to side to keep any saw blade from getting a good grip. Without them the exhaust clamp probably locks those cables down tight. I'm sure they have test results proving their value, though.

Ray
I am done. It was a PITA; but worth it when I finally got that second nut started on the threads. Another set of hands would have made it easy.

I tightened all the clamps and used my metal tie wraps.

Next step is to drive it to allow adhesive to bond and to confirm the sensor can handle 150 degree temperatures.

I then will tighten one more time and clip the excess ends off metal tie wraps.

Speaking of tie wraps, notice in the picture I replaced the white tie wraps on the tubular cross member with black ones. It makes it just that harder for a Thief to see the sensor wire.

My last step is to apply two yellow stickers that say WARNING Electronic Surveillance System
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220905_203622.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	184058   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_191718.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	184059  

Name:	20220905_191707.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	184060  
Old 09-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #48
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Now your spouse will want you to sell it.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Now your spouse will want you to sell it.
I am thankful, I got the good wife, she actually helped.... bringing me things back and forth so I didn't have to rollout out from under the RV installing so much.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Ok, so I call Progressive today to crow about what I have done and my two new Catalytic Theft Deterrent systems ( Cateye, two remotes, and two Catstraps) with street value material and labor cost around $700.

So before I could even get to "are there any theft deterrent discounts available? The Agent was like in complete disbelief that I would do ANY of this He then gave me a lecture that I was throwing away money He stated that I only have a $250 deductible: so if my cat converter is ever stolen, it will only cost me $250

So Progressive does not put ANY value on what I have done, and failed to understand why I would even be worried about it
Old 09-06-2022, 04:04 PM   #51
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Not unusual at all. Your agent is treating it as a one-off with no collateral damages and like any other theft, and not even like an accident.

All he/she sees is the $250 deductible. YOU will be the one dealing with the inconvenience, the possible cancellation of trips and loss of deposits, delays in finding a replacement especially if you need a CARB-compliant replacement, delays in finding a shop that will do the work when you need it to be done, etc.

In addition, several people have had more than one stolen, often within weeks of getting the replacement installed. Multiple deductibles can really add up.

The above were all factors in me deciding to spend the money. I decided to spend a bit less than my deductible but on my schedule and with no other complications. It sucks to do that but I feel a lot better removing the uncertainty that goes along with possibly having this happen to us. You know, starting the motorhome the day before a trip and hearing a loud ROAR.

Ray
Old 09-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #52
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Here is an interesting and timely post on iRV2 on this subject from someone who got hit twice in a storage lot: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/move...ml#post6298936

BUT-one RV they slide under and come right back out without even trying. And that RV has a Cat Strap installed. Everyone says that would just slow them down a little. But in this case his RV was the only one without a missing Cat.

So, you better believe I put one of those Cat Straps on my new catalytic converter install.

Fingers crossed...

Ray
Old 09-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here is an interesting and timely post on iRV2 on this subject from someone who got hit twice in a storage lot: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/move...ml#post6298936

BUT-one RV they slide under and come right back out without even trying. And that RV has a Cat Strap installed. Everyone says that would just slow them down a little. But in this case his RV was the only one without a missing Cat.

So, you better believe I put one of those Cat Straps on my new catalytic converter install.

Fingers crossed...

Ray
Yes sir, and thanks to you I had the courage to install myself Works great!!!

Catstrap signed off on my installation; so I got the warranty

They said I did not need to make a special 2 hour trip, rather just drive like normal to seal the adhesive.

My adhesive is sealed; and I have cut off the excess metal tie wraps.

A thief would really need to be desperate to go after these things, especially with the siren going off all the while; (that they have no way to disable).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220911_194703.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	184129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220911_194720.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	184130  

Old 09-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #54
Winnebago Master

Did you see where Catstrap is now selling a RV version of the Catstrap & Bundle? The specify for RV and F-53. They have two 5 foot catstraps for top and bottom and overlap

I can't help but wonder if they were pondering my questions all the time?
Old 09-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #55
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman
Did you see where Catstrap is now selling a RV version of the Catstrap & Bundle? The specify for RV and F-53. They have two 5 foot catstraps for top and bottom and overlap

I can't help but wonder if they were pondering my questions all the time?
I noticed that a few days ago, and that their RV bundle product is $40 more than the 12' diesel bundle I bought. Probably because us motorhome owners have so much spare money.

Me, I'd still buy the 12' diesel bundle to save $40 and either use it as I already did or stick it in a vise and cut it into two 6' lengths. Or cut it with a torch into two 6' lengths.

If I had the beaucoup bucks many people think motorhome owners have I'd be driving a motorhome that did not require a catalytic converter, just DEF and all of its issues...

Ray
Old 09-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:

Hey, that's my post on IRV2 and it's exactly the same thing I posted here.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #57
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart
Hey, that's my post on IRV2 and it's exactly the same thing I posted here.
Oops. Do I owe you a royalty fee?

Ray
Old 09-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I noticed that a few days ago, and that their RV bundle product is $40 more than the 12' diesel bundle I bought. Probably because us motorhome owners have so much spare money.

Me, I'd still buy the 12' diesel bundle to save $40 and either use it as I already did or stick it in a vise and cut it into two 6' lengths. Or cut it with a torch into two 6' lengths.

If I had the beaucoup bucks many people think motorhome owners have I'd be driving a motorhome that did not require a catalytic converter, just DEF and all of its issues...

Ray
If you agree with those that say, "if you have to ask price of gas" then you shouldn't buy an RV; then yes you do have beaucoup bucks. Sometimes, as I read through forums, I sense everybody is rich, because I don't even stop at a gas station unless I see the price 1st.

I think the increase cost in addition to two catstraps, is that they include exhaust collars, cat clamps, and double the metal tie wraps. It is also a new material. If mine is ever stolen, I would buy the new RV Combo kit because it is now part of my comprehensive insurance cover.

I really like it, alarm is always activated. I have noticed that if it really really hot outside, it becomes more sensitive as it will activate siren sooner.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #59
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman
If you agree with those that say, "if you have to ask price of gas" then you shouldn't buy an RV; then yes you do have beaucoup bucks. Sometimes, as I read through forums, I sense everybody is rich, because I don't even stop at a gas station unless I see the price 1st.
Ben Franklin's "A penny saved is a penny earned" would be "A penny saved is two pennies earned" due to taxes and fees. Or more. A couple of decades ago I figured that taxes and fees were eating 44% of my hourly wage and I know it's not gotten any better nowadays, especially since I no longer have a wage.

When my kids were in their teens I cautioned them on some discretionary purchases they wanted. One was making $6 an hours and wanted to buy a magazine for $8.

I asked her how long she would have to work to make that $8 back it was two hours and she got the message. So I bought it for her.

I was and am an avid reader. If my kids wanted a book or other reading material I told them I would always pay for it. Other purchases were on their own dime.

Ray
Old 09-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

I had time to drive the RV on 1 hr trip one way. 1st opportunity to really seal the catstrap epoxy.

The burn smell was really strong and the pretty orange strap looks aluminum (silver) now.

Too hot underneath to check on Cateye Sensor. If it was going to melt, I think it will be gone by the time I see.

Tags
cat, chassis, ford, install, led, motorhome, v10