Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do I bleed water from air system

Well I have exhausted my usual search methods. I just went through all the manuals (Winnebago does give you good documentation) including the Freightliner chassis manual and the cummins engine manual. I also tried several thread searches on this forum. In the Chassis operators manual it gives a procedure for bleeding the water from the air system and that is the first item on the pre-trip checklist. The problem is I cannot find the valves controlled by lanyards that are mentioned in the procedure. I found one mention that they were in the front but I have checked under the hood and both front and rear wheel wells without success. This is a 2018 Forza 35W on a Freightliner chassis with an Allison 2500 Transmission. Does anyone know where these valves are located? A note in the operator's manual states one of the valves is on the tank near the compressor. That would be on the engine and I thought these valves were accessible without climbing under the vehicle. Pictures would be helpful. Also, if you have a procedure you prefer for opening and closing these valves that would also help.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Aspect 30J

How to bleed water from air system

Full disclosure: I do not have an air brake system. I have the assumption that is what you are referencing.

If you look under the coach you will find your air tanks...should have at least 2 tanks. Each tank will have "Pit Cock" valve located on the bottom of each tank.

To bleed the air system...

Make sure that the engine is running and the air brakes are applied with the Yellow valve on the dash (maybe located on the driver's side)

In most cases you should find a lanyard cable that is attached to the valve to the front air tank & attached to the outside rail of the coach. You can bleed the air from the tank by pulling on the lanyard and you will hear the air bleed out. You can also have a "Spitter valve" installed that will automatically bleed the tank.

Be aware that driving in freezing roadway conditions may cause a build up of ice on the valve-even with a Spitter valve. This can cause the valve to not completely close after ehausting any water...therefore you will have an air leak.

Hope this helps you solve this issue.
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you MovingMann. I am going to wash the coach this Saturday and will look for the air tanks. Now I know to look under the frame rails.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have a 2016 Forza 34T and my tanks are located between the front wheels. Lanyards are near the fame and wheel. Crawl under ,and you will see the tanks and lines.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The air system is installed by Freightliner as part of the chassis. Check the specs for the chassis you have - XCS ? - to see if yours auto drain. Most of the Winn chassis have that feature so there is no need to manually drain the tanks. Worth your while to go under the coach and see where the tanks are and the manual drain lines. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Deckape and Bobmac! As usual the forum comes through. I will check tomorrow as i turn on heat in my Forza. I thought from other input that I could drain the air tanks without physically getting under the unit. Since this chassis is low to the ground and I am not shallow in thickness I can't get very far under the unit unless it is on manual leveling jacks with extra height. I was hoping for automatic draining of tanks but don't know how I would tell that from looking at them.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Turn your front wheels all the way to the right. Look in the passengers side front wheel well. There should be coiled up wires there. They are the lanyards for the drains. As stated, you don't need to use them, they drain on their own.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:21 AM   #8
New owner

On my 42e, I found one lanyard behind the passenger side front wheel and two lanyards on the drivers side. The manuals all recommend draining the supply tank first. My question is.. which lanyard is for the supply tank?

Tags
water