Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Houdini TV trap 2004 WKPG Journey .

So we would like to install a LED TV but the cabinetry seems impenetrable . I will post pictures of the real life situation tomorrow .2004 WKPG.. Anyone sprung the CRT from the trap ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ckpit.gif
Views:	162
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	108873  
Maj.kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Pop any little button type screw covers off. Remove screws.
Look at the top corner of each adjoining cabinets. Might be a bolt that holds a band around the tv. Those things can be really heavy so be sure to have an extra pair of hands. Even after the band is removed the tv might hang on due to anti slip material that has taken hold.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yeah Figured.. Need new trim tools .Herself saw fit to use them for something destructive ??? I guess Ill be looking for some of those plastic covers Thanks .
Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok poped out and screws removed None lost so far. Seems the front of the plastic basket is screwed into the inside of the cabinet frame with no access to the screwheads .They will be sacrificed .
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should find a couple of screws from inside the cabinets on either side into the lower part of the wooden face frame. Once those are removed, along with the center fold down visor if you have one, the frame should come off along with the attached plastic shroud. (If you have a center speaker above the TV that must be removed first!)

The TV itself will be held down with a bar or strap across the top which will need to be unbolted to remove it. You'll probably want a hand to remove the TV itself--it's quite heavy.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This old thread has pictures, etc. from my TV upgrade: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
You should find a couple of screws from inside the cabinets on either side into the lower part of the wooden face frame. Once those are removed, along with the center fold down visor if you have one, the frame should come off along with the attached plastic shroud. (If you have a center speaker above the TV that must be removed first!)

The TV itself will be held down with a bar or strap across the top which will need to be unbolted to remove it. You'll probably want a hand to remove the TV itself--it's quite heavy.
Ours is a bit different you can see a flange and pin holding the TV "foot" to a metal plate that surrounds the sides and bottom .Screws coming from the side don't do much they are at the top and have been removed .Will post pics once it reveals what is going on .
Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This old thread has pictures, etc. from my TV upgrade: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)
Nice job My CRT sits well behind the oak trim with no visible screws bolted down behind it .
Old 10-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I pulled mine out last year. You have to drop the plastic bottom you should be able to find the other attachment points. Just take it one step at a time. The face frame does need to come off also. There is a plug for the speaker that you disconnect as you pull the face frame away. Wish I could remember more this time of the morning. Good luck.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Just about ,
The bottom trim piece has 4 screws 2 completely inaccessible do to the metal box .
The nut that holds down the top strap is blocked by a flange .The TV was installed before the roof and front cap were installed .
Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.kangaroo View Post
Just about ,
The bottom trim piece has 4 screws 2 completely inaccessible do to the metal box .
The nut that holds down the top strap is blocked by a flange .The TV was installed before the roof and front cap were installed .
I'm quite sure that the TV was installed after the roof and front cap!

What bottom trim piece are you talking about? The whole wooden faceframe with attached plastic surround housing should come off in one piece once the screws through the side walls of the adjacent cabinets, the center sun viser screws, and the surround screws under the little plastic caps are removed. It probably needs to tip out a bit at the top as it comes off.

Can you post some pictures of the area you're talking about?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ok so the TV was welded in place and No amount of unscrewing cabinetry released the frame part 11 in the diagram so some technical yanking and diligent sawing released it .Now I have a lot of wires. I think they are all labeled LOL and HA-HA .
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Been wrestling with the TV in our 03 Adventurer. Removed front plastic cover, not too bad. Removed metal strap holding TV down, not too bad after prying loose the glue holding it to top of TV. Removed TV with help of my son, not too bad, especially since he carried it out of MH.

Now I'm fighting with the metal cage the TV sat in. It extends past the front of the cabinets at the ceiling. It also hangs down way beyond the bottom of the flat screen I want to install. I cut through it front to back near the ceiling, sabre saw. Now over 90% of it is gone, just the piece that runs along the ceiling and down the side to where I made the cut. It's welded to the frame piece at the ceiling.

It goes up the side then makes a 90* near the ceiling, can't cut around that corner with a sabre saw, blade is not long enough. Using a longer blade runs the risk of hitting the roof or something else I don't want to cut.

Well that's tomorrow's job, I got most of it out today.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Been wrestling with the TV in our 03 Adventurer.

Well that's tomorrow's job, I got most of it out today.
There is little doubt the bus was built around the TV box.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I strongly suggest that you do not cut the metal support across the top of the TV opening.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I strongly suggest that you do not cut the metal support across the top of the TV opening.
If you're referring to the square tube, part of the coach framework, I wouldn't dream of it.

I did finish cutting off the cage, close to the frame piece mentioned above. Used a multi-tool with a half circle blade to finish the cuts started with the sabre saw.

Now to close in the open bottom, add some framework to attach a mount to and choose a mount. I did find a mount that articulates in/out, side to side and up and down. I like the up and down to bring TV closer to eye level. Don't like looking up all the time to see the TV.

In our previous MH I mounted an arm sideways so the TV would move up and down instead of side to side. Made viewing much better.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
. I did find a mount that articulates in/out, side to side and up and down. I like the up and down to bring TV closer to eye level.
What mount is that ?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.kangaroo View Post
What mount is that ?
This one. They have different brand name but appear to be identical.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/St%C3%B6rch-He...words=tv+mount

Overstock

Arrowmounts 23 to 42-inch Counterbalance Full Motion TV Wall Mount - Overstock Shopping - The Best Prices on Arrowmounts Full Motion TV Mounts
Old 10-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Nice thanks for reading my post.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You're welcome. I ordered the mount from Overstock, will let you know how it works once it's installed.

Tags
cabinets, journey