Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Still waiting for monday to come around to seal the deal on the 04 Horizon we are attempting to buy.

Have noticed on the Horizons and the Vectras we've looked at that the rear engine access covers just dont seem to close flush with the rear of the coach. Is this typical of all of them? Or a perpetual adjustment requirement?

Your advice is appreciated.

Sam & Sandy
NPR, FL

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Still waiting for monday to come around to seal the deal on the 04 Horizon we are attempting to buy.

Have noticed on the Horizons and the Vectras we've looked at that the rear engine access covers just dont seem to close flush with the rear of the coach. Is this typical of all of them? Or a perpetual adjustment requirement?

Sam & Sandy
NPR, FL

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have noticed on the Horizons and the Vectras we've looked at that the rear engine access covers just dont seem to close flush with the rear of the coach. Is this typical of all of them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam,

It is a problem on my coach as well. I had Winnebago at the factory look at the problem and after replacing the hinges it got a little better. It still however does not line up with main body but at least it does shut firmly now. I gave up on it. The adjustments (which are there)are as far out as they can go on the hinges so I am not sure where the problem is.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have a 05 Vectra which had a similar problem. In fact a few times the door would pop open on rough roads which damaged the paint.
After three attempts at adjusting by the dealer, he ordered and installed new hinges and brackets. It worked like a charm.
I would insist it is corrected prior to purchasing.
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:

Sam & Sandy
NPR, FL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figured I would post the big one and not the thimbnail to make it easier to see...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine seems to line up OK, although I did need to get it re-attached to the hinges since the glue came loose on one side.

[OnEdit]: Actually it was the center grill in the rear hatch which game unglued from the rest of the hatch, not the hatch from the hinge.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had trouble getting my engine door to align with normal hinge adjustments. I later realized the hinge arms were bent. It was like this when I took delivery of my coach. Winnie sent me new hinges. The new hinge arms are reinforced and less apt to bend.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the responses - and for the photo enlargement, too. I am still learning how to navigate this site.

Have to wait until tuesday evening to see where this deal is going as a scheduling conflict prevents me from getting to Lazydays today. Im sure they're just drooling in anticipation of depleting my bank account!

I will have them replace the engine cover hinges before they see my first dollar.

Best regards,

Sam & Sandy Davis

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

G'day Sam & Sandy,
As it happens we also bought ours from Lazydays. I do not like the speed that things are done there and that may be better than during the busy season when we got ours however I have to say that they fixed or at least tried to fix everything I found wrong plus everything I found while waiting for the other repairs to be done.

What floorplan are you looking at? Check the A/C ductwork up the inside of the rear clip as it does tend to split open and so much of your cold air is lost. I had to seal mine and I also insulated it so we do have great A/C and also great elect heat. Have LD fit a trik-L-start if it doesn't have one, it is under $50 and you will need it to keep your engine batteries charged.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours,

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My engine cover had the same issue and also dinged the paint. The dealer said they had a body shop repair the paint but all they did was pull out the touch up paint from the black bag. (The dealer will never touch my coach again,which is a whole nother story)

I found that the hinge can be adjusted as well as the bracket that holds the hinge. Messed around with it for about a 1/2 hour and got it pretty close to perfect.