Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Horizon dryer vent

2018 Horizon 40A.
The dryer is not working properly and I think it’s the dryer vent is blocked. Advice on how you can clean the vent out without removing the dryer.
Thanks in advance
Larry
mntndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Team

That's a great question Larry, and one I've asked myself many times. I haven't tried it yet but there are some screws on the outside dryer vent cap and I've wondered if you remove that cap could you use something to suck out the lint in the line... like a household canister vacuum with a long arm and a flexible hose????

But as I said, I haven't tried.

Theoretically, the dryer is supposed to be fairly easy to remove and not too heavy. But I haven't done that either.

I looked online and found no info about doing this job on the Splendide TVM63XNA Dryer that WBGO installs in these coaches. There are tons of YouTube videos on the combo washer/dryer but none on these.

I also found the Splendide Owner's Manual it doesn't mention this process at all:

http://www.splendide.com/service/Trainman63X.pdf
Old 06-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #3

My older Splendide probably works on the same principle:

* If you can remove the outside RV dryer vent cover without breaking it, then you can gain access to the 3" vent tube from the outside of the RV.

However, I would only consider "going-in" from this direction if your dryer produces some heat and then it shuts down prematurely.

* If you don't get any heat at all then would forget about checking for blockage as stated above, and I would check for blockage after your remove the machine so you can also replace your thermostat... should you find it has failed.

* You should be able to unbolt the machine's feet or find a bracket that hold the washer-dryer in place.

* The dryer function probably uses a thermal switch just like your home dryer does to turn off the heating element. IDK. You would need to remove the dryer and then test the thermostat.

You can YouTube that process for more information, but usually a dryer thermostat fails in the "open" position and then you would never get heat.

OP: Does your dryer get any heat at all? Are all other functions of the washer and dryer working properly?

Did you reset your controls or kill the power to the washer dryer by shutting off the CB in the power panel? ...And then see if you still have a dryer problem?

Also, as a disclaimer, I have never repaired one of these things, so if anything I stated above is incorrect, please accept my apologies.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Cleaning the dryer vent

Cleaning the dryer vent in the 2018 Horizon is different than many other models. There is no external dryer vent. It went into the rear cap. When I called Winnebago I was told I would have to pull the dryer out to the access vent to clean it. There is an access panel in the closet that will let you look at the dryer venting going into the back wall. I managed to loosen the worm clampAnd move the duct enough to eventually access the vent to remove the lint ball. It wasn’t easy, but it beats trying to pull the dryer out of the wall.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

No experience with that but when looking at the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2018/314621.htm

It appears there is a good chance getting to it from the outside would be worth a real try as it shows some things which might make me believe any clog is right there.

One big thing is the route is pretty short!

In this snip from the parts, the red item is described as flex duct and that sort does often collect more than straight pipe, also the yellow item is called a wormgear so if one could get the vent out far enough, I would guess that the strap connecting it could be turned to get it off to clear???

Is it possible the vent is only held on with caulk and possibly some form of adhesive which might be gently pried loose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dryer.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	179511  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, I see we posted at near the same time and my idea from the drawings is not what you have found! So much for them posting the good info, huh?
Old 06-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #7

Even in our older units, I can't image there being any blockage use to lint. Especially on a newer unit. In fact, I think it would take 10yrs to have a lint problem and probably longer.

OP when you removed the exhaust hose did you see any lint or blockage? I'm guessing not.

Also, does the newer units vent the hot air into a water tank of sorts and then flushes it with every cycle? ...If not, then where does the hot air exhaust go in your newer model Horizon if as you say they no longer vent to the outside. Maybe it incinerates? Or maybe it teleports the lint out some other way? These newer coaches are pretty fancy looking after all.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Even in our older units, I can't image there being any blockage use to lint. Especially on a newer unit. In fact, I think it would take 10yrs to have a lint problem and probably longer.

OP when you removed the exhaust hose did you see any lint or blockage? I'm guessing not.

Also, does the newer units vent the hot air into a water tank of sorts and then flushes it with every cycle? ...If not, then where does the hot air exhaust go in your newer model Horizon if as you say they no longer vent to the outside. Maybe it incinerates? Or maybe it teleports the lint out some other way? These newer coaches are pretty fancy looking after all.
Yes the ductwork was blocked by a ball of lint, cat hair etc.
The dryer vents into an enclosure between the rear wall and the rear cap. Once I removed it the dryer is working properly.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #9

Good to know the message here is that if you have a cat then your dryer vent may get all plugged up!

That possibility never crossed my mind.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Just as a small bit, I now see that the drawing is likely more correct than I first thought as the vent is likely to be inside the cover as mentioned, not an exterior vent which would possibly make cleaning easier.

But the mention of cat and dog hair stopping things up is one that reminded me of how much the various appliances suffer when pets are inside. The frig is one that often has coils on the bottom where the drip tray is located and as a result the hair that floats around near the floor will almost automatically get drawn into the coils and then the frig fails if one is not really alert and aggressive on cleaning the coils every few months.

I check the Craigslist for bargains and it is amazing how many new frigs are set out on the curb and I often wonder if a strong young man might make a few bucks by just picking them and cleaning the coils!
Old 06-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

We don't have a cat, and we're lucky enough to own a non-shedding breed of dog, but we still get a lint accumulation in our RV's dryer venting. There are times we can even see lint accumulate around the outside dryer vent. If it's hanging on there you know it's doing the same in every 90 degree bend in the vent piping.

We have our dryer vents at home cleaned every 5-years or so. Lots of home fires are a result of dryer vent clogging.

Quote:
According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 17,000 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year. Unsurprisingly, the leading cause of these fires, at 34%, is the failure to clean dryer vents.

Tags
vent