Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hooking Up Satellite

Recently my wife and I purchased a 2019 Vista 27 PE. We purchased a Dish Satellite with a Wally receiver. Trying to hook it up is giving us problems. There is no problem hooking up the cable from satellite to the coaxial satellite in the outside compartment. Getting the signal to the TV is the problem. Our indoor connection is located above the entry door. We are able to connect the Wally to the power source and connect the coaxial cable from the Wally to the ‘From Portable Satellite Dish’. On the opposite side of the RV, our TV is located. There is an HDMI input near the TV. I used an HDMI cable to connect from there to the TV hoping the satellite signal would be transferred from the coaxial cable to the HDMI input. After turning on the Wally, nothing happened. Yes, I have hooked up the Wally to a different source/TV and it works just fine. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I’M DOING WRONG?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BC23927-F7B8-4699-B6B8-41F0FE8E58E6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	181054   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C0FE9AE-DC18-4B57-A9C0-269E0C2FBE6D.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	181055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	377365F9-4BE7-4F99-8200-7217877DC19F.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	181056  
Hud Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, since we're guessing it could be a number of things.

The SAT is connected via the outside input. And the Wally is connected to that to SAT receiver Coax connector.

Have you tried running a HDMI cable directly from the Wally to that TV across the RV or just that HDMI input you found in a cabinet?

Have you looked at the "Entertainment" section in your Operator's Manual to find out more about that HDMI input you found near the TV?

Try hooking everything up directly - the SAT to the Wally and the Wally to the TV and then work back from there.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Wally Sat Input has to be connected to the Portable Sat Dish Connector with a short RG-6 jumper. The Playmaker has to be connected to the basement Sat Dish Connector.

The Wally must be connected to the TV with a HDMI cable. It does not ouput to a TV over coax as an over the air TV channel that can be connected to the antenna in on a TV.

As creativepart says, you can validate the basic functionality by running the coax from the Playmaker in thru the door directly to the Wally with the Wally connected directly to the back of the TV with HDMI cable.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Team

I looked up your Operators Manual and that HDMI input should work with your Wally. But of course you must also use the TV remote’s Source button to select the correct HDMI setting.

That HDMI is for plugging in a DVD or Satellite receiver.

Your TV no doubt has Source settings for Cable/Ant, Aux and HDMI, perhaps others too.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

What I’ve Done

For our outside TV, I hooked up the Wally directly to the satellite and to the TV with a HDMI cable. Worked great.

For the inside TV, I hooked up the Wally to the HDMI outlet and the TV via 3 cable plug in. Wally started but no satellite connection. I did go through the different possibilities with the remote but no luck. Showed satellite/cable as the way to connect. No luck. Also, I did try every button on the entertainment console. Aux 1, Aux 2, Antenna and Cable while TV was plugged in to HDMI jack and 3 input jacks. Still no luck.

I figured it must be something very simple but can’t figure it out. Usually, I have no problem hooking up electronics but this one is baffling me. I hate to lose. May have to take it to Camping World. I was told it could cost $300+.
Hud Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud Pirate View Post
May have to take it to Camping World. I was told it could cost $300+.
Whoa! Let’s not do something this drastic… or impractical. This is something you should probably get out of your mind. “Taking your RV to camping world” is probably a phrase you’d be best to eliminate from your thinking.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Team

I can’t decipher everything you said because I don’t know your RV. But the HDMI input on the wall goes directly to your TV as I understand it. I’m pretty sure those other options are for coax feeds from cable, antenna, etc and don’t apply when connecting via HDMI.

In theory… you set up the dish outside and attach it into the SAT (not cable TV) input on the outside of the RV. Then connect the Wally to that middle coax marked “from portable sat dish to receiver.” After that you run an hdmi cable from the Wally to the HDMI input on the wall. Then select the hdmi source on your TV remote. (Your tv might have more than one hdmi input so you need to select the one connected to that hdmi input on the wall.)

If you connect the sat dish to a cable tv input on the outside of the RV that will almost certainly not work. You should have a dedicated SAT input on the outside of your RV.

Test it one step at a time. Direct connect the dish to the Wally and the Wally to the Tv. Once that works, connect the Wally to the hdmi connection on the wall and get that working with the tv remote’s Source button. Then once that’s setup move the sat dish connection to the intended inputs and outputs for the dish on the RV.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hud Pirate, use this link to get the TV wiring diagrams for your specific model RV. It might clarify things for you. I used those to wire my portable satellite dish and they really made things clear.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Hud Pirate, use this link to get the TV wiring diagrams for your specific model RV. It might clarify things for you. I used those to wire my portable satellite dish and they really made things clear.

Here's a direct link to the wiring on your model:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000177027.pdf
Old 10-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hud Pirate, verity the HDMI splitter as power.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are two builds for your model and year and I looked at one chosen at random so it may be worth looking from scratch using the correct serial number for your Rv but this is where to go for wiring for your Rv :

Seventh digit of serial number 2?
Random guess took me here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000177027.pdf
Itshows what we might expect in general for various connections, depending on what equipment you have like number of TV, in out, etc.

Maybe find the one for the equipment you have ?

Then to find more precise info n WHERE those parts might be hidden:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000164480.pdf

I like the one hidden down under the stove!! But page 5 may be of more help?

Fighting coax is one I don't like at all so good luck on the trek!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud Pirate View Post
For our outside TV, I hooked up the Wally directly to the satellite and to the TV with a HDMI cable. Worked great.

For the inside TV, I hooked up the Wally to the HDMI outlet and the TV via 3 cable plug in. Wally started but no satellite connection. I did go through the different possibilities with the remote but no luck. Showed satellite/cable as the way to connect. No luck. Also, I did try every button on the entertainment console. Aux 1, Aux 2, Antenna and Cable while TV was plugged in to HDMI jack and 3 input jacks. Still no luck.

I figured it must be something very simple but can’t figure it out. Usually, I have no problem hooking up electronics but this one is baffling me. I hate to lose. May have to take it to Camping World. I was told it could cost $300+.

I have a DISH GURU in Tucson, AZ if you wish and are in Tucson. I had him hook up my 2021 29V Vista
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
I have a DISH GURU in Tucson, AZ if you wish and are in Tucson. I had him hook up my 2021 29V Vista
Your Guru is only 1700 miles away from Hub Pirate.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Your Guru is only 1700 miles away from Hub Pirate.

Well that answers that.
It's probably obvious that I don't know how to go back and find additional information like the location for someone who writes in this blog. I would certainly not be offended if someone gave me a hint
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
.Well that answers that.
It's probably obvious that I don't know how to go back and find additional information like the location for someone who writes in this blog. I would certainly not be offended if someone gave me a hint
It's easy, click on the username of the member you would like more info on and then look at the "About Me" tab. Other tabs like Statistics give you links to all that member's posts or alternatively all threads started by that member. It will also show you the last time they posted and the last time they visited the forum.

And, as simply an FYI, Blogs are websites that one person writes about their chosen topic. Others can comment, but only the Blog's author can create a new post or topic.

This is a Forum, where everyone can start a new thread or topic at any time.

Tags
satellite