Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Will be hooking toad up to motorhome. Are there any precautions with the hookup.

ground wire
rh brake and signal
lh brake and signal
running lights

Honda is already setup for towing.

2006 Itasca Meridian 34 ft.-350 cat
PioneerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Will be hooking toad up to motorhome. Are there any precautions with the hookup.

ground wire
rh brake and signal
lh brake and signal
running lights

Honda is already setup for towing.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Pioneer. I have read that you may need to remove a fuse on some Hondas prior to tow if you have to keep the key in to unlock the steering wheel. Also you'll need to stop every 200 miles or so and start up the engine to circulate the trans fluid back to the top of the Honda trans. You may ask on the towing forum for those who tow CRV. When I tow I keep the camera on to keep a eye on the toad and assist on lane changes due to the overall length. Congratulations on the Meridian purchase.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pioneer. We have towed a 1999 CR/V for several years. There is a short three minute ritual you must go through after you have hooked up the car. Basically you warm up the engine and take the transmission through all its gears. The details should be described in the manual. Then you turn of the radio, AC etc. and turn the ignition to I. After 8 hrs you must repeat this procedure. We do not have to remove any fuses. --ARNE

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just returned from the National in Tenn. Never pulled the fuse recommended by Honda, no problems towing, since my braking system is powered by the coach. And since coach has amber turn, just wired with diodes 2 turn 1 stop 1 tail and ground 5 wires for lights, and then the brake system(3)also, using 9 pin setup.

Follow the Honda sequence, should be no problems
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip on towing Honda. My main interest is the wiring from CRV to MH. Honda is set up with 4 pin connector and was hoping to adapt that to 7 pin from MH. Was hoping i did not need any additional equipment. Honda has diodes installed when i towed it with Ford class C.

thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When I took my toad to have it fit up with the base plate and wiring at camping world, they put the 4 pin connector to the front of the car. I bought the tow hitch and installed it myself. The M/H has a 7 pin connector. After going back to camping world and explaining this to them, they gave me the correct 4 pin plug and wiring with wire splicers. Then I just spliced the 4 pin connector into the 7 pin connector and left that hooked up. Now I have 2 plugs on the rear end of the coach. Nice feature. My malibu also has amber turn signals but camping world used the diodes and just wired the red lights to work on the toad for braking and turn signals. Go figure.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bobpie,
That is what i basically needed. I read somewhere that a converter was needed if the MH had separate brake lights and turn signals. You did not mention the installation of a converter so i will go with that. My meridian has separate brake and turn lenses. Again thanks.