Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Home with our Journey

Just got back from picking up our 2002 Journey DL we bought on ebay. Very, very nice coach overall. Especially for under $50k...

After a relatively uneventful 1900 mile drive home, it's time to do a few things. I'm going to change the oil & all filters. The house batteries are shot (dealer told us they were pretty new . Won't hold a charge overnight... I'll replace the 2 12v with 2 6v. Had to replace the fresh water pump enroute. $75 & 10 minutes. Probably replace tires, dates are 2004. Replace a simple hose washer that allows the icemaker to leak. Remove a ton of ridiculous warning stickers in the coach.

The prior owners were very good to order the coach loaded with options, and take excellent care of it for us. We got a coach with low miles, and in like new condition. It appears about the only option they didn't get was the power awning.

Question; what's the unmarked switch for on the instrument panel / annunciator light panel? Looks factory.
Any Journey owners recover the wrinkly dash vinyl?

Any tips, hints, secrets etc. to enhance the Journey?
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Just got back from picking up our 2002 Journey DL we bought on ebay. Very, very nice coach overall. Especially for under $50k...

After a relatively uneventful 1900 mile drive home, it's time to do a few things. I'm going to change the oil & all filters. The house batteries are shot (dealer told us they were pretty new . Won't hold a charge overnight... I'll replace the 2 12v with 2 6v. Had to replace the fresh water pump enroute. $75 & 10 minutes. Probably replace tires, dates are 2004. Replace a simple hose washer that allows the icemaker to leak. Remove a ton of ridiculous warning stickers in the coach.

The prior owners were very good to order the coach loaded with options, and take excellent care of it for us. We got a coach with low miles, and in like new condition. It appears about the only option they didn't get was the power awning.

Question; what's the unmarked switch for on the instrument panel / annunciator light panel? Looks factory.
Any Journey owners recover the wrinkly dash vinyl?

Any tips, hints, secrets etc. to enhance the Journey?
If the switch your refering to is the one I'm thinking of, It will reset the odometer when held down for a couple of seconds.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What's the winch in the storage compartment for? (compartment with outdoor stereo)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist
What's the winch in the storage compartment for? (compartment with outdoor stereo)
I would think that is to bring your slidouts in in case of it's primary means failure. I would assume they are hydraulic slides?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new-to-you Journey. We love our 2002 DL.

As far as the wrinkly dash vinyl, I made an inexpensive cover for our dash using 8ft of the indoor/outdoor carpet runner you can get at Lowe's. I made a pattern out of heavy paper. It looks pretty good and cost just about $20 and about 2 hours of my time.

I had inquired with Winnebago how to remove the metal panel so I could re-cover it and was told it was 'difficult' to remove. So, opted for the cover.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Wow great job that looks great.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As a non-believer in extended warranties, I took some really big hits on my Freightliner chassis recently so Had I been a believer I wouldn't be out 7K. Just a thought.

Might also consider joining WIT.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our Journey came with a big bag of individual system manuals, but no overall coach manual. The Winnebago website has online manuals back to '06. Anyone know of an online manual for an '02?

Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ed,
Go to winnebagoind.com - click on Resources - and then Manuals and Diagrams.
You'll find all you want to know there.
FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have one you can have when I bought my 02 39qd they inadvertently gave me one for a 36 dl, if you can wait until I get back from Florida in April send a private message with your address if you want it
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The winch is to pull in the large slideout. You usually hook it into one of the floor registers.

If you are talking about the small round switch on the upper left, it's the instrument light dimmer. The dimmer on the headlight switch controls the overhead map light.

At least that's the way it is on my 03 Journey DL.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

smlranger, I just made a pattern for my dash and am going to do the same as you did. What did you use to stick it down on the dash?
Thanks.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Auto Awing

I expect you will be glade you do not have the automatic awing. The manual model give much bett coverage.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsJourney View Post
smlranger, I just made a pattern for my dash and am going to do the same as you did. What did you use to stick it down on the dash?
Thanks.
Scott:

I used no adhesive. The defroster vent grills installed thru openings I cut in the material hold it down very well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

The dash mod is probably the neatest thing I've seen for these fantastic coaches. Plus, it's almost free... Heading out to buy my materials at Lowe's tonight.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The winch is to pull in the large slideout. You usually hook it into one of the floor registers.

If you are talking about the small round switch on the upper left, it's the instrument light dimmer. The dimmer on the headlight switch controls the overhead map light.

At least that's the way it is on my 03 Journey DL.
Thank you ernieh for saying where to hook the winch. I couldn't figure out how it hooked up.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote