Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Automobilist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fall City, WA
Posts: 76
Home with our Journey

Just got back from picking up our 2002 Journey DL we bought on ebay. Very, very nice coach overall. Especially for under $50k...

After a relatively uneventful 1900 mile drive home, it's time to do a few things. I'm going to change the oil & all filters. The house batteries are shot (dealer told us they were pretty new . Won't hold a charge overnight... I'll replace the 2 12v with 2 6v. Had to replace the fresh water pump enroute. $75 & 10 minutes. Probably replace tires, dates are 2004. Replace a simple hose washer that allows the icemaker to leak. Remove a ton of ridiculous warning stickers in the coach.

The prior owners were very good to order the coach loaded with options, and take excellent care of it for us. We got a coach with low miles, and in like new condition. It appears about the only option they didn't get was the power awning.

Question; what's the unmarked switch for on the instrument panel / annunciator light panel? Looks factory.
Any Journey owners recover the wrinkly dash vinyl?

Any tips, hints, secrets etc. to enhance the Journey?
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Just got back from picking up our 2002 Journey DL we bought on ebay. Very, very nice coach overall. Especially for under $50k...

After a relatively uneventful 1900 mile drive home, it's time to do a few things. I'm going to change the oil & all filters. The house batteries are shot (dealer told us they were pretty new . Won't hold a charge overnight... I'll replace the 2 12v with 2 6v. Had to replace the fresh water pump enroute. $75 & 10 minutes. Probably replace tires, dates are 2004. Replace a simple hose washer that allows the icemaker to leak. Remove a ton of ridiculous warning stickers in the coach.

The prior owners were very good to order the coach loaded with options, and take excellent care of it for us. We got a coach with low miles, and in like new condition. It appears about the only option they didn't get was the power awning.

Question; what's the unmarked switch for on the instrument panel / annunciator light panel? Looks factory.
Any Journey owners recover the wrinkly dash vinyl?

Any tips, hints, secrets etc. to enhance the Journey?
If the switch your refering to is the one I'm thinking of, It will reset the odometer when held down for a couple of seconds.

Sammie
__________________
2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Automobilist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fall City, WA
Posts: 76
What's the winch in the storage compartment for? (compartment with outdoor stereo)
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
Bug512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Warren County, NJ
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist
What's the winch in the storage compartment for? (compartment with outdoor stereo)
I would think that is to bring your slidouts in in case of it's primary means failure. I would assume they are hydraulic slides?
__________________
Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Avail, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
smlranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 2,169
Congrats on the new-to-you Journey. We love our 2002 DL.

As far as the wrinkly dash vinyl, I made an inexpensive cover for our dash using 8ft of the indoor/outdoor carpet runner you can get at Lowe's. I made a pattern out of heavy paper. It looks pretty good and cost just about $20 and about 2 hours of my time.

I had inquired with Winnebago how to remove the metal panel so I could re-cover it and was told it was 'difficult' to remove. So, opted for the cover.

__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Campingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Bear Ca.(Sugarloaf)
Posts: 40
Wow great job that looks great.
__________________
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been.
2016 Cherokee 254Q 6743#s wet, 2016 F-150SC Sport 2.7 EcoBoost (curb weight 4940#s)
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 141
As a non-believer in extended warranties, I took some really big hits on my Freightliner chassis recently so Had I been a believer I wouldn't be out 7K. Just a thought.

Might also consider joining WIT.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Automobilist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fall City, WA
Posts: 76
Our Journey came with a big bag of individual system manuals, but no overall coach manual. The Winnebago website has online manuals back to '06. Anyone know of an online manual for an '02?

Ed
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise
 
Ding-a-ling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 275
Ed,
Go to winnebagoind.com - click on Resources - and then Manuals and Diagrams.
You'll find all you want to know there.
FJF
__________________
'14 Winnebago Vista 35F, '14 GMC Terrain
BlueOx Towing Pkg, SMI Stay-n-Play
49 States & 7 Provinces visited in MH | WIT W112365
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise
 
GG1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WHITING,NJ,USA
Posts: 470
I have one you can have when I bought my 02 39qd they inadvertently gave me one for a 36 dl, if you can wait until I get back from Florida in April send a private message with your address if you want it
__________________
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
ernieh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 295
The winch is to pull in the large slideout. You usually hook it into one of the floor registers.

If you are talking about the small round switch on the upper left, it's the instrument light dimmer. The dimmer on the headlight switch controls the overhead map light.

At least that's the way it is on my 03 Journey DL.
__________________
ernieh
2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
ScottsJourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 22
smlranger, I just made a pattern for my dash and am going to do the same as you did. What did you use to stick it down on the dash?
Thanks.
__________________
Scott Pierce
2014 Itasca Cambria 27K
2007 Honda CRV
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
slick60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Smyrna
Posts: 58
Auto Awing

I expect you will be glade you do not have the automatic awing. The manual model give much bett coverage.
__________________
Life's a Journey Enjoy the Ride. Had a 39 ft. Journey now I have a 24 ft short Fuse.
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master
 
smlranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsJourney View Post
smlranger, I just made a pattern for my dash and am going to do the same as you did. What did you use to stick it down on the dash?
Thanks.
Scott:

I used no adhesive. The defroster vent grills installed thru openings I cut in the material hold it down very well.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner
 
Automobilist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fall City, WA
Posts: 76
The dash mod is probably the neatest thing I've seen for these fantastic coaches. Plus, it's almost free... Heading out to buy my materials at Lowe's tonight.
__________________
2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise
 
Chuck 1935's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shadow Hills,CA 91040
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The winch is to pull in the large slideout. You usually hook it into one of the floor registers.

If you are talking about the small round switch on the upper left, it's the instrument light dimmer. The dimmer on the headlight switch controls the overhead map light.

At least that's the way it is on my 03 Journey DL.
Thank you ernieh for saying where to hook the winch. I couldn't figure out how it hooked up.
__________________
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Old Journey to Home blevtr Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 14 04-09-2011 06:18 AM
'05 Journey is Home jtharley Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 7 04-29-2005 06:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×