Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Help with surround sound 0n TV replacement, 04 Journey

On the old Sony there was a wire coming out of the TV to a small box(wart) with cable going somewhere. Does that cable attach somewhere on the new TV? We do not have a hum but do not know if we have surround sound or not as the old Sony only had it on certain channels. How can we test it? The TV control works fine and we have both digital channels and Dish network. We haven't heard the other speakers working. I did a search on here as I remember other discussions but can't find one answering this question. The TV is an 2011 Hatachi with surround sound output in the audio system. We chose this TV as it has a headset out for wireless headphones . Thx
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If your new TV doesn't have variable audio out RCA connectors that would accept the cable that used to plug into the 'wart' (and comes from the 'surround' sound system), one option is to re-use the 'wart' by attaching it to the speakers of the new TV. You can see how I did that in my Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long) posting.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The red and white rca plugs that were in the "wart" run down to the amplifier for the factory surround sound which on my 05 journey is located to the left of the drivers seat on the hump that is in the floor.

You either need a tv with a variable sound output plug (which are hard to find as everyone seems to use a dvd/surround sound system) or as the previous post stated connect the old wart to the speakers on your new tv so you can control the sound with your tv.

When we did ours, I gave up trying to find the correct tv and hired the job professionally and they installed a new dvd/surround sound to use as the amp and connected into the existing speakers along with a 32" lcd tv. The old factory amplifier is only active when the in dash stereo is used.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quiet often is is nearly impossible to hook up a new TV for surround sound on an older surround sound system. The ports are not there to use. You may need to get a local A/V expert to sort out the mess if the manuals for the TV and Surround sound do not mesh properly.

ken
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Your Hitachi TV has two outputs on the back labelled audio out, one red and one white, for left and right channels. This is where you plug in the corresponding RCA cables that feed down to your surround sound amplifier. Some TVS you can set the audio output to variable vs fixed; when set to variable the gain on the output is controlled by your TV volume control, and in fixed mode, it is set at one midlevel amount of gain, and then the volume would be controlled by the device you are sending the signal to. In your case, you want it to be variable.

I just went and looked at my TV, and I could not change the setting on my audio out, but the output is variable, and I have the internal speakers of the TV set to off. I also have a switch to go from Radio to TV, which needs to be in the TV position.

If you plug into the audio and you cannot control the volume with the TV, you will need to refer to the method described by Cbeierl above. Hope this helps.

Jcwhitty
2003 Itasca Horizon 34hd
jcwhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

TV works fine with the volume control, I will check that both dash and cabinet controls are on TV. I need to go and check but think audio is fixed, digital ,and surround. It is set to surround but will work with it more before DH soders the wart to the TV speaker. Thx
Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same issue in my 2005 Meridian with a new Sony flat screen. That wire that came out of the old TV is simply soldered to the two speakers inside the TV cabinet. Open up the old one, unsolder the wires and reconnect in the same way to the new one. Mine works great.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Cool tv. I can't tell from photos, does it have any front controls in case the remote dies? Thanks
Rocky
Rocky68D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I was referring to the Vizio installed by Chris.
Rocky68D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I bought one of those new fangled TV's that did not have RCA audio outputs, so sit would not work with the present system unless:

I purchased a Digital-to-Analog audio converter. Plugged it in, turned on the amp, and had surround sound.

The D&A converter had Fiber Optic input or COAXial with RCA output. Works for me.

p.s., D&A converter is not cheap.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
Cool tv. I can't tell from photos, does it have any front controls in case the remote dies? Thanks
Rocky
No, the Vizio I installed doesn't have any front panel control. It does have some on the side, but they are covered in my install.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On my 2004 the dash radio aux switch must be in the AUX position and the radio/TV switch above the VCR must be to TV to get surround sound. If either of these two switches are not correct I do not get surround sound. I also attached the wires directly to the TV speakers.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, replacement