Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help with lights, security cameras, doors

Hi all we just purchased a 2021 winniebago 29L intent & need to know what type and size screws to use for exterior to put in motion lights and security cameras...PLUS what type of extra lock or bolt can I use for the interior door...

MANY THANKS!!!
beep beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Most of us abstain from putting screws into our RVs sidewalls. These things aren't built like a home. Most of the sidewalls are simply backed up to a type of Styrofoam insulation. You'd have to find some aluminum studs to screw into. There are some in your walls just not always easy to locate.

Best bet is to use any existing screw already containing something. For example replace the existing porch light with a larger brighter light maybe one with a camera in the housing. If such a thing exists. But be aware the next problem you'll have is how to wire these things and what kind of power is available.

I've only met one other RVer in the past 15 years that has put camera's on the exterior of their motorhome. But if you feel you need it, then just be careful how you install it.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I will assume this is a first go at the camping/Rv field but there is a real point to keep in mind on lighting in campgrounds. It will be extremely uncool for a light to come on with every movement when folks are that close together!
Next to barking dogs and unruly kids, bright lights are way up at the top!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Absolutely Richard. Last year in Tucson there was a guy parked across the road from me that had a light the came on with movement. Every time someone walked by with their dog or whatever all night long that light would kick on. It drove us crazy. Luckily, he was only there a few days and we were there 5-weeks.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

Keep us posted on your plans to install a security camera.

beep beep: Did your RV come with a Fob and KES to open the door?

I have looked into this extensively 2 years ago, and maybe now they have some newer technology that may prove "viable."

In the meantime, I do this:

* I put a $7 sticker on my door that says: "Smile... You are on camera."

* I have a $39 +12V dash-cam I stick to the inside of my windshield for driving and which I think acts like a deterrent when I'm parked.

* Also added a siren to my Keyless Entry Door Lock so that when I push "panic" I can trip the siren to scare skunks away in the wilds and skunks away in the Walmart parking lot if needed. ...And I'm glad to say this has never been necessary, but it's there for my peace of mind.

Note: I actually feel safer at Walmart than I do some rest stops... especially along HWY-5 in Oregon and parts of Florida. (And if you don't know why, don't ask. Just be more on your toes when in these areas if you ask me.)

* I also thought about getting a $79 "dog barking" motion detector to monitor the door area... which when tripped triggers a barking dog. (Pretty smart.) However, I never bought this device, but I can see where you just put the unit under your coach and then run the power wire inside and shut the door; or you can connect the monitor to a separate extension cord that runs out to your shore power. (Sound like it would work, but I don't know for sure.)

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Techno...02XITC5G&psc=1

All these measures are cheep and easy to do.

The more sophisticated approach is to get an Arlo like device that works through your router. ...And now I understand they have cameras that do NOT require an active internet connections. ...This is important when boondocking and no internet is available, in which case these newer "smart cameras" maybe more "viable" for use in an RV.

...But until they make a side mounted camera that is not 6" long, or looks like shi**T hanging on the side wall of an RV, then I'm not interested.

If you find a viable "smart solution" for less than $500, that my or may not use your back-up camera, and can give you a 360-degree "Birds Eye View" of your coach, like so many car security systems do now, and I can view the camera on a cell phone app... then I would be very interested!

The cheap thing everyone can do today, as a "DETURANT" measure to prevent the crime from taking place, is to get a $7 sticker and a $39 dash camera.

Recording video gives proof to the law enforcement or insurance claims a crime has occurred.

On the other hand, it would be nice to monitor my RV when in storage, but this option is only viable if you have shore power where you store your RV and you can connect to the internet.

Again, please keep us posted on the latest and greatest security measures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sticker - Smile Your On Camera.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	176512  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There are several good youtube vidoes out on RV security.
Here is one:

I bought the motion lamps and the motion alert sensors. I hang them on the 4 sides of my RV with suction cubs. This is what I bought at Amazon.
FCHO Glass Suction Cup Heavy Duty Aluminum Vacuum Plate Puller Handle Holder Hooks Duty Galss Lifting/Tile Suction Cup Lifter/Moving Glass/Pad for Lifting (Yellow, 2Pack. They work great don't worry about putting screws in my RV and I also hang my outdoor temp/humity sensor on.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, door, camera