Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Please be kind this is my first post and likely my first RV. I have narrowed my search down to 2 coaches.

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U with Ford V10, 48K miles and 2 slides. 1 AC unit in the basement. It was a trade in. The dealer wants 37.5K to drive it off the lot as is or 39.9K to have it inspected and show me how it works. In the 39.9K price they will replace any appliance that is not working, fix windshield, complete service, check roof and replace a slide rubber gasket. No washer / dryer. 1 yr old tires

1999 Adventurer 37G with Ford V10, 33.8K miles and 1 slide. 2 AC units on the roof. Private party sale for 35K. Stored outside so paint is not as bright as the Suncruiser. Has washer / dryer. 1 yr old tires

In general the interiors are comparable and everything seems to work.

Since this is my very first RV I'd really appreciate any advice on which might be a better option, are their known problems etc. Our plan is if we like to Rv with the 2 little kids we would trade up in the next 2-3 years.

Help me make my choice. Are these good prices?

Thanks for any info you can share.
jondrejik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Please be kind this is my first post and likely my first RV. I have narrowed my search down to 2 coaches.

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U with Ford V10, 48K miles and 2 slides. 1 AC unit in the basement. It was a trade in. The dealer wants 37.5K to drive it off the lot as is or 39.9K to have it inspected and show me how it works. In the 39.9K price they will replace any appliance that is not working, fix windshield, complete service, check roof and replace a slide rubber gasket. No washer / dryer. 1 yr old tires

1999 Adventurer 37G with Ford V10, 33.8K miles and 1 slide. 2 AC units on the roof. Private party sale for 35K. Stored outside so paint is not as bright as the Suncruiser. Has washer / dryer. 1 yr old tires

Since this is my very first RV I'd really appreciate any advice on which might be a better option, are their known problems etc. Our plan is if we like to Rv with the 2 little kids we would trade up in the next 2-3 years.

Thanks for any info you can share.
jondrejik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

First and foremost is get the DW involved and ask which floorplan she likes best. Then make arrangements with the current owner/dealer to allow you a half day to go through all the coach systems to determine for yourself their working condition. The price seems not be too much of a deciding factor. The Adventure and Suncruiser are at the top of the gas line so they are compatible -- at least at todays model line. I would also ask whether the dealer will stand by his fixes.
I am new to the Class A scene and have recently gone through what you are and loved the experience. Enjoy it and don't rush.
Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

IMHO......

I like the 35U. This is a great floorplan with the closet and bed slide in the bedroom. The most floor space in any 35' 2 slide coach. A perfect weight and length for the Ford chassis. The 35U has excellent resale. I would try and get the dealer to do some of the fixes such as windshield, complete service, check roof and replace the slide seal and sell at the $37.5 price

The 37G is a big coach for the Ford gas chassis. A 37' gas coach needs the W24 Workhorse chassis, IMHO.

Here is the URL for the 2000 Suncruiser brochure.

2000 Suncruiser

I should mention the 2 slide 35U coach will be easier to sell than the 1 slide 37G in a couple years.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

One small difference, 99' has 275 hp & 00' has 310 hp. Other wise it's the floor plan you like.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

In my opinion, I would go for the Itasca for the 'checked' price. I would do as franko suggests and spend a bunch of time in it checking EVERYTHING. I prefer the basement air over the roof airs - you will get many opinions about this either way. Pros on basement air-no water dripping down your awning, quieter, lower height and center of gravity, usually has a heat pump built-in. Cons-can't cool run front air only for quieter sleeping, harder to service. I prefer 2 or more slides - gives MUCH more room in the bedroom and better for resale.
The 35 will be a little easier to manuever. As I said-just what I would do. Good luck and welcome to RVing!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mom casually shops for a replacement for her 1999 Adventurer, hasn't found one yet. But in the process I looked over brochures and noted differences along the years. From '99 to '00 I noted:

25" Front TV
Basement air
Residential style 30" microwave
Hanging coffee maker (under special shelf)
New dash (with in-dash back up monitor)
Grab handles at doors
Solid surface kitchen counter
Flip up counter extension over steps
Higher window in driver's door
6.5K generator option

Nothing really deal breaking in my opinion, but some stuff to look at.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #8

I would definately go with the 2000 35 U. The '99 with the faded graphics is a show stopper for me, and a washer/dryer is not a great option.

I would do as Tom suggested...try to get the full PDI (inspection) for the $37.5 on the 2000 model.

By the way....WELCOME to the Winnebago forum!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jondrejik:

Thanks for any info you can share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 35U is a great coach and as large as I would go for a new driver. The ride and handling with the basement air and newer chassis would also be a consideration.

The only thing the 37G would have going for it would be the washer dryer as you really can't put one in the 35U without some major modifications.

The private bath of the 35U was also a plus for me as I travel with two teenage daughters and shower time would be a bear with half the coach blocked off with a split bath.

The two Super Slides in the 35U also make the coach more open as the rear hallway and closet area opens up with the bedroom slide giving the coach a much more spacious feeling.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum . As you can see, you've already gotten good advice. NADA low retail on the Itasca 35U is $40,000 so looks like the dealer has it priced fairly. When we were looking to trade up from our first 32' Adventurer, we really liked the 35U floorplan...tough to beat and that's a great size to start out with. Agree with the others....try to get the dealer to fix anything that needs fixin' for the lower price. Take your time and make sure you and your DW are satisfied with the rig and everything works to your satisfaction. There are too many good used rigs on the market to rush.

Good luck with your purchase and come back often and share your RV experiences with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I believe the front end is wider on the 2000 then it is on the 1999. This could make driving much more pleasurable. Some of the options on a Wiiny are standard on the Itasca. The 35U is a nice unit

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

i'd say the 2000 with dealer support. im driving a '99 35C Ford chassis. It does have wide track wheel geometry. You'll have enough towing power with either one. If you like and trust the dealer that trumps the extra miles.

Send us all pictures when you get it!
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote