Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help setting tire pressure on Tour 42QD

I have a 2014 Tour and I am needing help setting tire pressure. When I weigh it the front was 14850 lbs and the rear was 23900 lbs. According to the tire chart the fronts should be set to about 113 PSI and the rears at 100 PSI. What do I set the tag to? Do my above figures look correct?
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not really enough info to give you accurate answers.
Individual wheel weights
Brand, model and size of tires.
All the above are needed
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Michelin XZA2 295 80 R22.5 I was unable to weigh individual tires just front combined and tag and drive combined. Some examples would help.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OK, but still need the weights to even take a shot at it. And, without actual individual weights it's still a guess.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I have a 2014 Tour and I am needing help setting tire pressure. When I weigh it the front was 14850 lbs and the rear was 23900 lbs. According to the tire chart the fronts should be set to about 113 PSI and the rears at 100 PSI. What do I set the tag to? Do my above figures look correct?
These folks are correct. 4 corner weight is the only way to know the correct psi.

Many Tours have had maladjusted tags. Your local Freightliner dealer should be able to help you with that one. If the tag is wrong the front axle weight will be also. A trip the Gaffney, SC Freightliner Custom Chassis factory service center would be a good idea. Make and appointment before you head in. Great folks and very thorough.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ron
I have the '15 Ellipse (sister to the Tour) ... at 39.5K (actual weight) Freightliner set my steers at 120 and my drive and tag at 90. Have excellent control, operating temps and pressures, and very good ride. Please do let us know your corner weights and confirm your drive/tag tire sizes (they are likely not 295s). Thanks ... safe travels ...
Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Ron
I have the '15 Ellipse (sister to the Tour) ... at 39.5K (actual weight) Freightliner set my steers at 120 and my drive and tag at 90. Have excellent control, operating temps and pressures, and very good ride. Please do let us know your corner weights and confirm your drive/tag tire sizes (they are likely not 295s). Thanks ... safe travels ...
Sounds like you are running max weight on the front. You might consider relocating some of your heavier load more toward the rear, if possible, and reweigh. I don't like running my tires at max load.

My DW likes to collect stuff I find not needed and just adds weight. I have started putting things in the car to lighten the load on the coach when we travel. This is my diplomatic way of keeping her happy.

I have upgraded my front tires to Continental H load from the Michelin G load. I will be putting Toyo M154 H load on the rear soon. I don't recommend mixing brands front to rear but this is a long story not worth repeating. Both tires are good brands bu the Toyo's are better priced.

And that is my 2 cents. Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 04-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Rick...can't agree more about the 'stuff' we put into our rigs, and sneak into the toad.

My front axle weight is 14,600 against a 15,660 rating, and still finding things to shift rearward. The Freightliner guys approach tire pressure recommendations in a relatively conservative fashion - no complaints from me. As we discussed pressures they we're very interested in my reports on rolling temps and pressures. At 90 degrees ambient and altitude of 2,000 - 5,000, I get about a 10% increase in pressure and a 5% increase in temp.

When the steers get replaced I will look at a higher load tire - I like lots of margin. Appreciate your comments - keep 'em coming ...
Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Thanks Rick...can't agree more about the 'stuff' we put into our rigs, and sneak into the toad.

My front axle weight is 14,600 against a 15,660 rating, and still finding things to shift rearward. The Freightliner guys approach tire pressure recommendations in a relatively conservative fashion - no complaints from me. As we discussed pressures they we're very interested in my reports on rolling temps and pressures. At 90 degrees ambient and altitude of 2,000 - 5,000, I get about a 10% increase in pressure and a 5% increase in temp.

When the steers get replaced I will look at a higher load tire - I like lots of margin. Appreciate your comments - keep 'em coming ...
You're welcome. Tires are a big topic on this forum. I am in a few threads now. Many of us have come to the conclusion that there are tire manufactures that are as good, even better, than the Michelin big $$$ tires. I am going to TOYO for the rear in a few weeks. The OEM Winnebago went with on my rig are running at max psi/weight. I am not comfortable with this. The coach is about 2 years in my possession now and I can now afford to change tires. (Volunteering is not inexpensive. ) Going through the mountains really changes the psi by 30+ pounds. These tires are working way too hard. So, change is on the way. I replaced the steers last year and went with Continental ($$$). Long story. Not first choice. But, they are proving to be very good.

Do you have the QD? We were totally inspired by that model. Because of volunteering in many tight places, 40' was the longest we felt would work. The 40U is the QD floor plan without the big bath in the rear and a few other things. Not a fancy either.

DW just got up so I will enjoy morning coffee with her.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our 2012 Tour QD (4/6 corner weigh) indicates 116 steer, 90 drive and 85 tag.

The 10kw generator really max's out the front. Inflating the tag to 90 "raises" the rear and puts more load on the steer. Just like a "see-saw".
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure