Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help, please! 2008 Journey 39z 12V electrical problem

I've owned a 2008 Journey 39z since new. I use it mostly as a mobile upland bird hunting lodge for me and my dogs and I really like it. I keep it at a nearby campground because getting access for it to my mountain top home and land would be prohibitively expensive. Thus, it is plugged into shore power at all times when not actually on the road.

Here's the problem. I have 110V power. The entire 12V system is dead. None of the circuit breakers are tripped, but each time I reset the one called something like "RECDPS 1" (I might not have that name right) located in the panel above the washer/dryer, I hear a series of four or five clunks seemingly coming from the air conditioner area; then everything goes quiet and no power. The same thing happens when I reset the circuit breaker marked "main". The same thing happens when I reset the 50 amp circuit breaker on the shore power station. It sounds like the system is trying to start up but can't quite do it.

This fault has arisen while the unit was parked, so it wasn't caused by some jolt, wear or whatever on the road.

Please excuse my poor explanation. Sadly, I am no kind of mechanic/electrician. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Greg
Birddogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Try calling Winnebago tech line at 800 537 1885.
I have used them in the past and found them to be very helpful.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogman View Post
I've owned a 2008 Journey 39z since new. I use it mostly as a mobile upland bird hunting lodge for me and my dogs and I really like it. I keep it at a nearby campground because getting access for it to my mountain top home and land would be prohibitively expensive. Thus, it is plugged into shore power at all times when not actually on the road.

Here's the problem. I have 110V power. The entire 12V system is dead. None of the circuit breakers are tripped, but each time I reset the one called something like "RECDPS 1" (I might not have that name right) located in the panel above the washer/dryer, I hear a series of four or five clunks seemingly coming from the air conditioner area; then everything goes quiet and no power. The same thing happens when I reset the circuit breaker marked "main". The same thing happens when I reset the 50 amp circuit breaker on the shore power station. It sounds like the system is trying to start up but can't quite do it.

This fault has arisen while the unit was parked, so it wasn't caused by some jolt, wear or whatever on the road.

Please excuse my poor explanation. Sadly, I am no kind of mechanic/electrician. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Greg

Turn all 110 breakers off except the one listed main. Then turn the RECDPS breaker on first. If it now stays on your charging system is ok. Then turn on one at a time until it trips. The breaker that is tripping I believe is the 12v charging but the one causing it is the a/c system. Unless your charger is bad.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Greg,
Do you have a digital volt meter (DVM)? It would help a lot if you could measure the voltage at various points while we help you troubleshoot the problem. If you don't have one, a buy a cheapie DVM at Harbor Freight for $4 or Radio Shack.

Some questions:
What voltage do you measure directly on the batteries? I'm wondering if the batteries are fried? If they measure 12v they are possibly ok. If they measure 10 or less, they may be shot.

You might try hooking up a car battery charger and see if your 12v system starts to work again.

Can you start the engine? While it's running, does the 12v system start working again?

Good luck,
Bill
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Greg,
For a quick check cycle the battery disconnect switch a few times.
It is located by the passenger seat.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sincere thanks to everyone who took their time to offer advice. I called the Winnebago 800 number listed above from the MH and a kind and patient gentleman named Tom listened to my story and then led me through various procedures.

The first thing he asked was whether the battery disconnect switch was on or off. I told him of course it was on, thinking of the mechanical switch in the battery compartment. After working through a few things, he informed me that there is a an auxiliary battery disconnect switch in the front stairwell by the passenger seat on the panel where the awning controls, door lock and such are located. I didn't know I had such a switch, but when I pushed it "on", all the 12V things in the MH functioned perfectly. I felt pretty dumb.

My daughter and her family had spent the weekend in the coach. When leaving, they somehow locked themselves in and they were apparently pushing all sorts of buttons to try to unlock the door. They must have turned off the auxiliary battery disconnect switch by accident.

Live and learn... Thanks again!
Birddogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogman View Post
Sincere thanks to everyone who took their time to offer advice. I called the Winnebago 800 number listed above from the MH and a kind and patient gentleman named Tom listened to my story and then led me through various procedures.

The first thing he asked was whether the battery disconnect switch was on or off. I told him of course it was on, thinking of the mechanical switch in the battery compartment. After working through a few things, he informed me that there is a an auxiliary battery disconnect switch in the front stairwell by the passenger seat on the panel where the awning controls, door lock and such are located. I didn't know I had such a switch, but when I pushed it "on", all the 12V things in the MH functioned perfectly. I felt pretty dumb.

My daughter and her family had spent the weekend in the coach. When leaving, they somehow locked themselves in and they were apparently pushing all sorts of buttons to try to unlock the door. They must have turned off the auxiliary battery disconnect switch by accident.

Live and learn... Thanks again!

The infamous "Salesman Switch" solution.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, journey