Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help needed: Allison transmission

Hello, everyone. New to a class A diesel pusher and the associated driving. I'm having a difficult time figuring out the gear selection in our rig -- which is a new winnebago forza with the allison 6 speed transmission.

Specifically, I'm having a hard time locking to, or switching between, gears while ascending/descending hills through a mountain pass. The automatic transmission shifting works just fine. I have the standard layout with select and monitor, and then RND on the left, and Mode+- on the right.

When in auto, it displays 6-1, and then makes normal shifts displaying 6-x -- with x being whatever gear is currently in play. All works fine.

I tried to follow the manual when ascending or descending hills, and will press the down button twice (for example, currently 6-5 to get to 4-4) and that's where my problems start. It will display 5-5 and then when I press it again, it just reads 4. That is, the first number (select) just goes blank. The right number (monitor) will stay 4, and then seemingly run at high rpms but up/down shift as necessary (normally between just 3 and 4). If I press Drive (D) to try and go back to automatic, nothing happens. I can't return to auto mode. Pressing + or - also does nothing, as it just stays in whatever gear it is in -- regardless of high or low rpms. The select display remains blank.

To get it to return to auto, I have to pull over, stop, put in neutral and then press D(rive) again. Then it's back to 6-1 and life is good.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Or is there an issue that's not on my end? What's most frustrating is that I can't get it back to previous state by either pressing the up arrow or pressing D(rive).

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
jg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to a new set of friends! Questions always welcomed!

A well working Allison tranny will take a lot of abuse and prevent us (users) from up or down shifting when the speed / load can't handle it. In your case its possible that your selecting a gear that is 'over speed' for the transmission.

The display will show the 'desired gear' you selected - but will not actually shift to that gear until your speed matches the gear range. Especially when down-shifting to go downhill make sure your speed is low enough to engage the gear - otherwise you will not get the braking effect needed.

Recommend you get into the Allison manual and study the shifting actions / indicators. You can also post this question over on IRV2.com for more visibility - and likely more responses.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

...as stated it will not downshift until proper speed is achieved. You can assist it by applying the brakes and then it should shift down when slower speed is reached.

It is already in drive so pressing that button once in forward gear should not have an affect. Use the arrows to go back up to 6-6 or 6-5. Pressing the "D" button should only show you the gear you are in. Again, it will not go back up until the desired speed is met for shifting as there are numerous sensors that enable the "Shift Inhibit," sensor and unless the speed, load, engine RPM are correct it will not shift up or down.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote