Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Angry HELP! - Need Key Advice

Vista 35F . . . can't unlock engine "hood" . . . no key . . .

How many pairs of keys did you get with your coach?

I received 4 pairs of keys: ignition - door handle - door deadbolt - entertainment center. FWIW, deadbolt key slides into hood lock slots but won't unlock. Walk-thru mentioned unlocking the hood to check oil, etc, but we didn't "do" it. Now we find out we can't.

1st place I looked for info was operator manual. No help.

2d place was dealer. No help, said according to sales check list I received all keys that came with coach.

3d place was note to Winnebago. Told them all of the above, was told to contact the dealer. Duh...

Reply email to Winnebago hasn't been answered yet.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Only advice I can give is that the hood is a very tight fit to the frame and as you turn the key apply heavy pressure to the hood..it may just be that simple...hope hope....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post

I received 4 pairs of keys: ignition - door handle - door deadbolt - entertainment center. FWIW, deadbolt key slides into hood lock slots but won't unlock. Walk-thru mentioned unlocking the hood to check oil, etc, but we didn't "do" it. Now we find out we can't.

2d place was dealer. No help, said according to sales check list I received all keys that came with coach.

3d place was note to Winnebago. Told them all of the above, was told to contact the dealer. Duh...

My hood key was the only grey key in the bunch. I’d get a locksmith to pick it for you, if you don’t have a pick set...
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm surprised you have a lock on your "hood" on your Vista. My Adventurer has no lock on the hood and is only held in place with some old bubble gum and that sticky snot glue used to hold a credit card to it's mailer card.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On our 2020 Vista 29V it is the grey key. The one that unlocks the bottom of the door, and the outside storage compartments. As I recall, I needed to push in the hood to get the latched to turn. They are on tight.
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post

Call Lichtsinn RV 800-343-6255 in Forest City, IA. They may be able to help.

If not, a locksmith can make you a key.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
On our 2020 Vista 29V it is the grey key. The one that unlocks the bottom of the door, and the outside storage compartments. As I recall, I needed to push in the hood to get the latched to turn. They are on tight.
Same on my 2015 Vista.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Tony Traveler

Key

That’s interesting. My door key fits the locks on my hood. There are two locks above the Winnebago logo To access the engine.
ttestino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

The key for the hood on my Vista 35f is the grey one that locks the storage compartments.
suebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On our 2018 Vista LX the round grey key opens the hood locks. As was stated previously, push the hood panel toward the engine when turning the key.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

On my 2015 35B the round TriMark key fits luggage compartments, bottom door lock and the hood locks. I would suggest some wd40 with a spray tube to loosen up the lock, the hood latches snug up as you lock them, some pressure towards the coach as you are unlocking may help as well.
OhioVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Ours too is opened by the Grey topped key - same one that unlocks all the exterior basement storage compartments.
We received two full sets of keys upon delivery, and since then I have had duplicates cut of the door & the compartment locks, which have been secured safely for emergency access.
Very embarassing to lock yourself outside of the unit with both sets of keys inside; but that's another story for another day....
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVista View Post
On my 2015 35B the round TriMark key fits luggage compartments, bottom door lock and the hood locks. I would suggest some wd40 with a spray tube to loosen up the lock, the hood latches snug up as you lock them, some pressure towards the coach as you are unlocking may help as well.
Power graphite is really the best, for long term stability, IF, you have it. If not, I’d use a silicon spray, if you have that. WD40 makes both.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have same...just a couple years newer. For me it is the little round gray key. But once it stopped working. The locks were seized up. Next time i was at the Winnebago customer service center in Forest City, I had them fix it.
RenGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice