Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help! 2021 Intent burning smell?

Hi all ...sooo we have a 2021 winnebago intent and have it for approx 2 mnths ...having a issue with a burning smell coming from the front right tire (passenger side)..nothing is leaking from under the area ...it gets HOT ...burning smell...took to gator ford as lazydays (where we purchased) couldnt get us in till MAY!!! but they said they couldnt do anything being its a engine problem so they said to take to gator ford...so we did and they couldnt find anything and charged me to say that...well it happened again today after driving it max 15 miles...PLEASE give me something to go back to gator ford with ...we are afraid to take our next trip till repaired...

Thanks in advance
beep beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The key to identifying any burning smell is knowing the different scents that different materials put off when hot or melting. The difference between oil, brakes, rubber, etc is significant. If you can't discern the difference, then maybe take a friend who is able to along for a ride.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If nothing obvious can be found then i would suspect a front end alignment especially if its a rubber smell...after your 15 mile run is the passenger side tire running hotter than the driver side?
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
If nothing obvious can be found then i would suspect a front end alignment especially if its a rubber smell...after your 15 mile run is the passenger side tire running hotter than the driver side?
That sounds exactly what it is !!!...a rubber smell and YES the passenger tire area is HOTTER than all the others...just took back to ford dealer and again when i got there no smell grrrrrrr can this be an alignment issues be interminent? soooo grate for your reply...its our 1st RV and its making us wonder if we r even going to traveling in it besides to the repair shop
beep beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

use hand to feel the wheel centers and compare the temps of the two front wheels after doing some braking, should be warm but never hot - but should be even both sides. the smell would be diff than oil or grease smell too.

if the caliper is sticking OUT then the pad will drag causing intense heat, and since new mh then it might not shake or indicate via a vibration of steering/front suspension.

it could be a dragging brake, would happen fairly quickly too, and may take a while in very cold weather but not too long, if dragging then it will happen even w/ little braking - also if at light and slight rear hill would maybe keep mh from rolling backward.

OR it could be a bad wheel bearing, would act similar to dragging brake but would take longer, maybe more smell too - also should get grease melting out of bearing area of spindle area.

GL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep beep View Post
That sounds exactly what it is !!!...a rubber smell and YES the passenger tire area is HOTTER than all the others...just took back to ford dealer and again when i got there no smell grrrrrrr can this be an alignment issues be interminent? soooo grate for your reply...its our 1st RV and its making us wonder if we r even going to traveling in it besides to the repair shop
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Do you have a TPMS that could tell you the relative tires temperatures on your rig when driving? That might help isolate if it’s the tire itself, or something else,
Old 02-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would suggest this is more likely a vehicle, rather than an RV problem, so would deal with the Ford folks first. since I assume it is a diagnostics charge you have paid, go back to tell them they DID NOT do the correct diagnostics if they found nothing and they are semi-required to do it again for no charge.
But to get the best shot at finding the problem, I would call and arrange with the service manager to have somebody meet you at an appointed time, so that you drive in, pick up the person and do a ride as the vehicle is still warm.
You will not get a good result if the RV sets in the lot for a few hours while they eventually get around to doing the short driving test.

In my opinion only? I would think an alignment bad enough to be heating the tires to smelling burned rubber would also be causing enough tire wear to show on the tread. Perhaps a close look at the tires would let you spot something but a guy with a lift and looking is better.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You might want to buy an infrared temperature gun for about $30 and see if you can't find the component that is hot. Do a search on Amazon for "infrared temperature gun" and you will find several for sale.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think the Intent is a Ford Chassis.
If it is, take it to a Certified Ford Truck Service Center.
They can diagnose and fix it under your warranty.

My old 1999 Storm had the Antilock Break sensor light come on.
Took it to a Certified Ford Truck Service Center. Fixed in 20 minutes.
A good Ford Truck Center is a big plus.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell