Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Height of 2011 Tour 42QD

I am considering purchasing a 2011 42 Tour. The specs say the height is 12'11". I need 12'9" for my garage door. Does anyone, who has one of these coaches, know for sure the exact height? Does anyone know for sure if you dump the air, can you move it in a straight line for approx. 50ft.? I cannot raise the door height on my garage so that is why this is really important. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Fun Time,
We have a 2011 Tour 42QD. I measured the height of ours & came up with 12' 9" with the air up. I was interested in getting under bridges. If you dump the air should be ok. But it will be tight. Good luck.

Tom & Leslie
Tom_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Fun Time,
It is usually not the door but the motor in the middle that causes the problem. I know of some people that have moved the motor from the center to the side. (They may have two on both sides?) It solved the problem. Yes, you can hold the air dump and drive the 50 feet. Just do it slowly as the angle of the drive line is hard on the universal joints and bolts. Don't forget to hang a sign inside to remind you to do it on the way out as it will automatically raise them back up when you start the engine. The dome is often the highest part. Drive real slow.... my neighbor drove too fast; stopped quick and bounced his motorhome up and down which cracked his a/c cover. Some people have trouble if their driveway is at an bad angle and their ladder becomes the highest point. Good luck and let know how you do.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Tom and Dennis,
I know from past Winnie coaches that I have owned that their height specs are a little forgiving which is why I asked the question.
Tom, thanks for the measurement, that is what I was hoping to hear.
Dennis, glad to hear you can move it holding the dump air down. I have done that with my existing Meridian once before but wasn't sure about the 42.
Have either of you ever had your satellite cover off and if so how much would I gain by removing the cover if necessary to clear the door?
Dennis, my door does not have an opener but good comment.
Thanks guys for your response.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Fun Time,

You may be able to gain 2-3" from the roof height IF the dome satellite antenna is the limiting factor. Dome's are usually 12" in height, and generally higher than a roof a/c.

It could be replaced by a Winegard Trav'ler satellite antenna which has a folded height of 9.75".

I have the same problem, and is why I purchased a new Journey in 2006. My garage door is 12'0" and the Journey has a couple inches to spare. If there was a dome up there (I have the Trav'ler fold down dish) I would be scraping on the way in the barn door.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If its a local dealer, take it for a test drive, right by your house! That should answer all your questions.
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
srh
Winnebago Camper

I feel for you. When I got my Bus home, I knew the height was very close to my garage door's height - 12' 9". I had my wife standing on a ladder watching as I was driving it in. Fortunately, it cleared mine by about an inch. Is it possible that you could redo the ground and gain a couple of inches? It obviously is easier and safer if you do not have to mess with dumping the air.
Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

SRH- Cannot change the ground level as it is all cement but if it wasn't that is the best way to go. I checked with Winnie today and found out they put two different satellite configurations on these coaches. One is higher than the other according to them so that is the next thing to look at. Good part is the coach is very close to my coach in the same campground. I am going to climb up tomorrow and measure things. Thanks for your thoughts and those of you who responded. I am hoping by dumping the air that will get me into the my 12'9" opening.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE-Measured the Tour today and with the bags dumped, it is 12'5". I could pick another 3 inches by removing the sat. cover. Looks like it will work. Thanks for all the help fellows.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Fun Time,
I forgot to mention that you need to keep your finger on the dump button. If you don't they will air back up again. It would be a real pain to have to climb up on the roof to take the dome cover off. But, it doesn't look like you will need it. Enjoy and safe travels.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote