Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Heated compartment 2017 Vista LX F35?

2017 Winnebago Vista LX F35, is the area where the dump station is heated when furnace is on ??
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

According to your sales brochure, you do have heated holding tank compartments, which normally includes the wet bay.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This may vary with different models of the 2017 Vista LX as we don't know which model/length they have but the two I did look at don't have ducts to the compartments. I only checked the 27 and one of the 35 foot models. I see it in the sales info but I would want to verify before trusting that as it doesn't look heated from what I see other than heat loss from the ducting!
How far to trust the sales info??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My shorter length Vista has 1 3" duct that blows propane furnace air into the basement ONLY when the furnace is running.The furnace draws its return air from the basement and the return air ducts above the floor open into the basement. Longer Vistas may have 2 3" ducts blowing into the basement, you could tell for your floor plan from the 3D drawings on winnebagoind.com

On my Vista the 3" duct that blows into the basement does not get much heat towards the wet bay compartment or the back where the water tank is on my model.

All of the basement compartments including the wet bay are part of that enclosed air space under the floor. On a Vista the area under the floor is poorly insulated and you can go only a few degrees below freezing before starting to have water line freezing issues even with the propane furnace running and hot water heater running. The break point as delivered from the factory is in my opinion around 25 or 26 degrees.

I personally added more insulation below the floor and around the power compartment under the bed to use less propane and to make my Vista slightly more comfortable in cold weather. Before I insulated the power compartment in one side of the storage area under the bed which is open to the wet bay below thru a huge 1 sq. foot size opening that various wires go thru would get VERY cold and would make the bed feel cold in very cold weather even when using the propane furnace.

Vista is more a 3 season vs a 4 season camper.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all, its just we headed out 4 days ago from Colorado and its been in the teens at night so waited 24hr before we left to dewinterized , as we use antifreeze. Added water (Tried) before we rolled out using city hookup, frozen! So filled fresh water tank and headed to Texas, 6 hours later on 65 degree weather All is good! Anyway back to question we did leave furnace on the might before it 50, so I'd say NO HEAT GETTING TO WET BAY...
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Winter heat Testing Results for 2019 Vista 29VE

This post was originally on the iRV2 site which a search here on the Winni site did not find so I am reposting it.

[Webmaster Update] Here is a link to the post referenced above on the Winnie Owners website:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3830348
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Again, I would like to caution folks against the thought that all models and all years of an RV will be the same, as it is not true.
In this case the changes can be critical for the results as the 2015 model had a duct to underneath, the 2017 and 2019 do not show that duct!
Then when we get into the 2019, the furnace location has moved from above the floor to underneath and in the back.
Since funraces almost always leak a fair amount of heat, both at the furnace itself and all along the duct run, it is safe to assume the different location and how long and where the duct runs will change how the RV holds temps in cold weather.
If the furnace is mid Rv and above the floor on all the ducts, there will be far less heat reaching the compartments underneath!

Just be aware that every year and every model may have different issues on where the heat goes, so you will be far safer to look at what happens on YOUR RV, not what happens on other RV!

One quick and easy way to get some answers on what you have and where things like water lines and heat ducts are run, is to use the parts catalog!
For the post 2010 models it is an interactive system which is great for drilling down to exact detail like plumbing, so that you can look for where the lines may be run on an outside wall or really far from any heat.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Using an RV in the wanter is often going to be a bit of "risk management" so the more you know about your RV, the better you can make the plans. Sometimes just knowing where the weak points are can help. If you have a pipe in a place where it is likely to freeze, something as simple as parking that end downwind can be the difference in losing a pipe to freezing!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat