Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

I would like the furnace fan to run anytime the heat pump is on to distribute the heat to the bays to keep them from freezing. The problem with an electric space heater to save propane is that the bays don't get any of the heat.

2 cents worth...
Old 01-28-2022, 06:27 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I would like the furnace fan to run anytime the heat pump is on to distribute the heat to the bays to keep them from freezing. The problem with an electric space heater to save propane is that the bays don't get any of the heat.

2 cents worth...
Dan makes a really good point here and it is always important to give some thought to why you want heat and where you want to put it. Just heating the space where you are doesn't always mean it gets to the wet bay and the hose sticking out the side!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
> why does the furnace fan always run when the heat pump runs, even when the furnace is not being called upon for heat, and is that normal?

No, it's not normal. The furnace only has 12 volt power and on/off from the thermostat input connections. So, unless modified by someone, if the furnace fan is running then the furnace is going to be trying to put out heat. There is no input connection on the furnace to ask it to run fan only without heating.

So, I don't know why.
I almost never disagree, Randy, but check the picture of the thermostat posted above in comment #6 - this is the same one I have. The FAN switch says "Auto or On". So in the "On" position, the propane furnace fan runs constantly, regardless of a call for heat. It would be relatively easy to activate that wire with the overhead heat pump.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:

2 cents worth...
You're absolutely correct. Your 2 cents is worth gold in this case.

My space heater is outside, under the protection of the slide, pointed at the tank.
When things get above freezing I rely upon a space heater and the electric fireplace to heat the main area. The bedroom door is closed and heated by the gas furnace to about 55*. I don't get the heater outside to heat the bedroom. Usually warms up enough during the day to run the heat pumps.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I almost never disagree, Randy, but check the picture of the thermostat posted above in comment #6 - this is the same one I have. The FAN switch says "Auto or On". So in the "On" position, the propane furnace fan runs constantly, regardless of a call for heat. It would be relatively easy to activate that wire with the overhead heat pump.
I agree that the thermostat has the separate FAN and GAS HEAT outputs, that each are either open or have +12 volts on them as determined by the thermostat.

However, all sizes of the standard Atwood propane furnace that Winnebago uses DOES NOT have a fan input connection. ONLY a heat input connection.

Could you modify it to have a fan on only mode? Yes. I have considered doing it myself to mine.

It would involve:

--- 12 volt coil 10 amp SPDT contact relay wired to switch the fan motor +12 lead between the control board output and direct 12 volts, added inside the furnace somewhere near the control board.

--- A new wire between the thermostat and the furnace to provide the switched fan signal wire to the coil of the relay added to the furnace.

--- two SPST switches at the thermostat, both would wire to the FAN output wire of the thermostat, switch 1 would connect to the roof unit FAN input, switch 2 would connect to the modified furnace FAN input. So one can control if one, other, or both of the fans run when the thermostat fan switch is turned on.

Here's the un-modified furnace wiring diagram ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atwood.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	181862  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fan, furnace, heat, heat pump