Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HDMI Switch Box Connections

Just got his unit and I need to have the HDMI Switch Box properly connected so the DVD and satellite Dish network would work. Apparently the system is not working properly because is not properly connected. There are cables, HDMI, IR, all disconnected. Where can I take the coach to have someone look at this and reconnect a it came from factory. The vehicle is a 2016 Winnebago Journey 38P. I'm in Tampa, FL and any recomendations where to take it or suggestions are appreciated!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm guessing you have a 4x4 HDMI Matrix? That's the box you're talking about?

I'm not sure who could show you how to operate it. It's actually simple and logical BUT you have to know your way around TVs, cables, and tech equipment.

Hopefully, some Winnebago dealer would know how to set it up, but at the same time I don't know if any of them would. I know that Entegra uses the same system so an Entegra dealer might now how.

I did a search on YouTube and found a lot of videos on how to hook these up BUT not the exact same one that you have and that cover a lot more ground than you need. I'm concerned they would just confuse you.

Any Winnebago owner with a similar model year Class A could show you, but I don't know where you'd find one of them near you. If you come to the Texas Hill Country I'd be happy to set it up and show you how it works. It's pretty easy.

If any Tampa members see this post and know the equipment please reach out to Ke4jr.

Here's that video with different equipment that works almost exactly the same but is different from the one in your RV. Also, the video goes into detail about Ethernet cables and receivers, but your system already has those connected and you don't need to concern yourself with those.

Perhaps you are tech savvy enough to get the kernel of info about how to hook this up from the video. If it just confuses you more I'm sorry. Find another user that knows how to do it or drive to Texas.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, and honestly it explains a lot on how the system works. Now I understand and have a better idea of all the components functions.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4jr View Post
Thank you, and honestly it explains a lot on how the system works. Now I understand and have a better idea of all the components functions.
That’s great. Glad that helped. I think Winnebago needed to do a much better job explaining how that system works.

A number of us have had problems with the picture on one of our TVs flashing green or blue or just no picture at all.

For me the culprit was the small receiver (officially called a Balun). I bought a new one from Pace Electronics. They are the folks that supply this system to WBGO but you won’t find a brand name anywhere on any of the equipment.

All of the HDMI cables WBGO used are cheap and I’ve had two of them start throwing HDCP errors. My RV has 3-TVs, so there is a HDMI cable between each Balun/TV combo and three behind the 4X4 HDMI Matrix (Sat 1, Sat 2, and DVD player). So I carry a few spares.

A couple of folks have had system wide problems that Pace has fixed by sending out a new power plug.

Lastly, every once and awhile my source buttons don’t seem to work correctly, or they blink on and off so I just reboot the Matrix with a power off/on and that has always fixed things for me.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Joe,
The manuals for the 4x4 matrix are pretty much available on the Internet. There are many different models. Can you tell us the model number of the HDMI matrix?

You are going to have some Cat7 cables and HDMI cables. They should be run from the matrix to the remote. The remotes are typically near the device that is to be used. Example: Cables from from matrix to LR TV, or BR TV. There will be HDMI cables from DVD and other accessories plugged into the HDMI Matrix.

With the "extra" license I'll wager you can figure it out with the manual to help.

KE5QG

p.s., Here is a HDMI Matrix manual for some ideas.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Here is a HDMI Matrix manual for some ideas.
Wayne, my Matrix has no brand, no model number, nothing marked anywhere on it. But this PDF you've linked to looks pretty close. It may be exactly the same as mine, I can't tell for sure.

Does you Matrix have any identifying markings?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You may find these wiring diagrams for your coach helpful:
Audio/Video System Diagram
TV Coax Wiring Diagram
TV/DVD Wiring Installation

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Wayne, my Matrix has no brand, no model number, nothing marked anywhere on it. But this PDF you've linked to looks pretty close. It may be exactly the same as mine, I can't tell for sure.

Does you Matrix have any identifying markings?

It doesn't match mine either but the wiring is very similar. When I purchased my coach used the dealer said that they were having intermittent problems with the outside TV and had ordered a new HDMI Matrix. I received it and a friend and I put it in. All that was involved was disconecting the HDMI Matrix wiring and connecting it into the new box. We just swapped cable jack for cable jack. We replaced the remotes and all that involved was the Cat7, HDMI and power cable swap out.

It is not going to matter what Cat7 or HDMI on the matrix box is hooked up as long as they go to the same device. TV cat7 and HDMI to TV.

Joe has an Extra Class Ham Radio License so he is most likely adept in electronics and should be able to follow the wiring.

Chris, that wiring diagram is basically what I have and will most likely equate to other HDMI Matrix boxes.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Wayne, that's just what I needed and last night problem solved. All works now, and I even discovered that I had to replace the satellite dome on roof, the one that came with the coach was a DirectTV promo package only and I needed one compatible with Dish Network. Thank you KE5QG
Old 04-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
Site Team

An interesting thing about the way WBGO wired this up, perhaps you already noticed, they ran an extra Ethernet cable to each TV as a backup. Obviously you would have a difficult time trying to run a new cable through the coach if one was needed. So there are three Ethernet cables between the matrix and each receiver Balun. Two of them operate the system and the third is just lying there unused at both ends.

At least that’s how it is on my RV. Kind of unusual for a manufacturer to add in an extra unused cable to each TV.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Joe, you are welcome. As for the dome I hope you didn't replace the whole thing. There is a kit to convert from DTV to DISH. About $300 or so dollars.

Tags
switch