Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
HDMI 4x4. 13 Tour QD. Can't watch tv for next 6 weeks!!!

I think my hdmi 4x4 box just died. It doesn't like Canada??? Temps in the 60's, cabinet doors always open...

I've tried powering off and on. I've tried letting it cool down and restart. Nothing.

Has worked flawlessly (lucky?) for two and 1/2 years.

Oddly enough, when I had the dome replaced with the Travler the 2nd Lounge inputs 1&3 began to light up (coincidence?) I thought they were previously dark???

Now I get "no signal" messages on all tv's.

Is there anyone out there with good news for me? Can anyone go online (I have limited internet access) and verify wiring on the back of the box (especially) the cat5/6 wires that plug into hdmi splitter. I have 1 bands br/grn/yellow in the top ports and 2 bands br/grn/yellow in the bottom ports. The 3 band cat5/6 are off to the side.

Thanks in advance.

I might be running hdmi straight from back of receiver to TV for a few weeks...but, obviously last resort.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

tnteacherguy drawing shows 2 bands on top single band on bottom. The important thing is TMDS port connects to TMDS port and DDC port connects to DDC port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 x 4 Matrix.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	97805  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Kill all power to the rv so that all the hdmi stuff will restart. If that don't work a call into the mfg may be in order. I think you will probably have to do a direct connect as there has seem to be some issues with this device.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the picture. After trying to get a picture back I had crossed all of the cat5's.

But, I obviously have an issue with the box. I will nurse it along until a replacement shows up.

A phone call from Nova Scotia to Minnesota is coming soon.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Zman, I killed all the power. It just changes the malfunction of the systems. You are correct. Calling Pace Mfg soon.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
I think my hdmi 4x4 box just died. It doesn't like Canada??? Temps in the 60's, cabinet doors always open...

I've tried powering off and on. I've tried letting it cool down and restart. Nothing.

Has worked flawlessly (lucky?) for two and 1/2 years.

Oddly enough, when I had the dome replaced with the Travler the 2nd Lounge inputs 1&3 began to light up (coincidence?) I thought they were previously dark???

Now I get "no signal" messages on all tv's.

Is there anyone out there with good news for me? Can anyone go online (I have limited internet access) and verify wiring on the back of the box (especially) the cat5/6 wires that plug into hdmi splitter. I have 1 bands br/grn/yellow in the top ports and 2 bands br/grn/yellow in the bottom ports. The 3 band cat5/6 are off to the side.

Thanks in advance.

I might be running hdmi straight from back of receiver to TV for a few weeks...but, obviously last resort.
You didn't mention whether you're trying to get over the air, cable or satellite reception. If you're trying to get satellite reception don't bother. DirecTV and Dish Network have agreements with Shaw communications that they won't "knowingly" transmit signals across the borders.

We had the same problem with our system and our DirecTV satellite dish in 2013. I almost called DirecTV to ask how to resolve the problem, but decided to do some online research first. I came across a help board where several people were discussing the same problem.

One of the members related his story about the consequences of calling DirecTV. As it turns out not only will DirecTV not broadcast into Canada, they will also suspend your service if you ask to receive signals when in Canada. They will restore the service when reentering the US.

If you're trying to receive over the air signals, they don't go through the 4x4 box. Use the TV remote to change the "source" to TV. You'll also have to turn on the booster for the antenna.

If you're trying to get local cable you may need an additional decoder box. We had to use them in several campgrounds in Canada that had cable. They required a deposit that was refundable when the equipment was returned.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Hikerdogs, I'm having issues with Directv and DVDs. But, the satellite is strong (99's and 100) and DVD functions fine.

The picture (whatever you're watching...assuming it's routed through the hdmi box- DVD, sat1, sat2) just cuts out randomly, will play on wrong settings, won't play to certain room.

I opened the box (don't tell) but nothing appears loose. It's just a board with chips. All good.

It appears that something internal is very screwy.

But, as always, thanks for any and all commentary.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Call the company. There is a known problem with the power transformer. Ask them to send you a new transformer. With the correct power it will work just fine.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again fellow irv2'ers.

I was able to call today. 30 seconds into phone call Jeff (support?) says sounds like a bad power supply...are you still in warranty. I'm out, so, $10 later there's one on its way to my daughter. She'll bring it to me August 1st when I cross the border back into the U.S.

For now, I watch my Directv on my lounge TV and anything else gets plugged in direct to the hdmi2 plug.

I might buy a 50' cable just for convenience. Maybe not. Maybe I'll just stare out the window at the ocean.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure you'll find a 50' HDMI cable at the local electronics store. We needed a fairly long one a couple years ago and were told the maximum length they come in is 15'. We were told anything over that there's too much distortion in the signal.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Glad you got the fix. I think they got a bad batch of power transformers. Easy fix. You going to Alaska? I'll see you there.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm on/in Prince Edward Island. Nova Scotia next week. Then head west to Quebec and Toronto. Then across the border.

Headed to upper Michigan. Not U.P. This time.

Then back to Florida to relax for the winter.
Ahhhhh.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You can probably pick up a power transformer at The Source stores located in most Canadian cities... Bring the old one with you so they can see exactly what you need.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

HHIDan, that thought crossed my mind. I asked Jeff at Pace Mfg if he thought that was a possibility. He implied that these power sources were fairly uncommon watt and amperage rating and that I wouldn't be able to find it.

But, I'm willing to give it a try if someone out there thinks I can use a pwr supply that is close over or under.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Volts is critical, you can definitely go higher on the amps. And then some "universal" type adapters come with a variety of male plugs on the DC end.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

HHIDan
I believe it is an internal transformer so it would be hard to find a match.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Update!!!
My daughter arrived with the power supply from Pace International. Unplugged the old ps, re-routed and cleaned up some cabling, plugged in the new ps and voila!

TV working in all rooms with all devices. Yay.

Thanks to all who offered advice.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.
>> Dennis
Old 08-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
Update!!!
My daughter arrived with the power supply from Pace International. Unplugged the old ps, re-routed and cleaned up some cabling, plugged in the new ps and voila!

TV working in all rooms with all devices. Yay.

Thanks to all who offered advice.
tnteacher guy, Sometimes I have to wait minutes and sometimes I have to power off and then on to get a signal. Are these the same issues you had and did the PS replacement resolve them all? Especially bad with my Directv signal. I have waited over 8 minutes to get the signal to my outdoor TV. Same with the bedroom. Very frustrating. Thought I would need the complete unit replaced. Going to the factory for a number of warranty issues and was going to have them replace it. Is it easy to do your self?
Thanks
Ray
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Raycyn778

My issues sounded similar. No problems with the actual directv or DVD. Just problems with getting them to display on the tv you want to view them on. I also had picture disappear for a few minutes. And, I had problems watching 2 different devices in 2 different places.

New power supply fixed it.

4 screws, remove cover around hdmi box. Pull box out and let it hang (or get someone to hold it). Be careful that the hdmi inputs don't come unplugged without your knowledge. Unplug the power wire from the right rear of the box as your facing it.
Open the cabinet to the left that houses your over the air antenna switch. Remove the wall plate ( mine had two twist screws ) and the power cord should be plugged in to a 110 outlet on the floor of the cabinet.
Reinstall in reverse order.

Mine took longer because I hated the way wires were twisted and running everywhere.

I spent some time cleaning house before I put all back together.

Pm me if you have questions. I can walk you through it by phone if that's easier.