Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-24-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone tried this RV Shade?

https://www.rvquickshades.com/one-piece-shades/

They seem reasonably priced, i just wonder how they work. We stay stationary through the winter in Florida and it gets hot inside when the sun shines in. I don't want to use reflectix on the window because we want to see our Gold Course view. Thank you.....yes I know about magna shades uyt they are $500!
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While I think that those shades may work, I am sure that the external shades will keep more heat out of the motorhome.
The inside shades help to create shade in the motorhome, but the heat that is created from the sun when it hits the shade has to go somewhere.
The outside shades help to keep the sun and the heat created when the sun hits the shade outside.
Just a thought.
Akdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't care for the design linked above because there's too much stretching and leaning over the steering wheel when installing. And right now that's uncomfortable for me. I install and remove mine often enough that it's a concern.

I bought a set of these https://www.amazon.com/Newport-West-...t+window+shade a couple years ago and like them a lot. I don't even bother to fold them up anymore, I just slide them behind the couch when I'm not using them, which is when I'm traveling and wouldn't be using them anyway. I can install or remove them with one hand and the design of the window frame and position of the rear view mirror in my rig keep them in place. I just adopted a cat so now I scooch the right side shade over to the left side so she can get some sun and it's easy. They really block the sun so it stays pretty cool in the front of the rig, no complaints.

When you look at the link, note that they look better in my RV from outside. Guess it's how the dash is designed. Mine is flat, no obstructions. Best of all, they are only $40 for 2 and so durable, I don't think I'll need to replace them in forever.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I don't care for the design linked above because there's too much stretching and leaning over the steering wheel when installing. And right now that's uncomfortable for me. I install and remove mine often enough that it's a concern.

I bought a set of these https://www.amazon.com/Newport-West-...t+window+shade a couple years ago and like them a lot. I don't even bother to fold them up anymore, I just slide them behind the couch when I'm not using them, which is when I'm traveling and wouldn't be using them anyway. I can install or remove them with one hand and the design of the window frame and position of the rear view mirror in my rig keep them in place. I just adopted a cat so now I scooch the right side shade over to the left side so she can get some sun and it's easy. They really block the sun so it stays pretty cool in the front of the rig, no complaints.

When you look at the link, note that they look better in my RV from outside. Guess it's how the dash is designed. Mine is flat, no obstructions. Best of all, they are only $40 for 2 and so durable, I don't think I'll need to replace them in forever.
Thanks but I want to be able to see out with something up. I already have REFLEXTIX cut to fit the front windshield, but we can't see out.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
https://www.rvquickshades.com/one-piece-shades/

They seem reasonably priced, i just wonder how they work. We stay stationary through the winter in Florida and it gets hot inside when the sun shines in. I don't want to use reflectix on the window because we want to see our Gold Course view. Thank you.....yes I know about magna shades uyt they are $500!
I can''t speak directly to RV Quickshades, but we have been using Textilene fabrics for over 15 years in various applications. The fabric holds up well and will perform as advertised. We used white fabric for sliding screens on our garage door and from the outside in the daytime, it was difficult to tell whether the roll up door was up or down. From the inside you could easily see out. At night, however you can easily see inside if any lights are on.

We have a black roll up shade for our front porch and it blocks a lot of the heat while still allowing the breeze to blow through. We also use the fabric for storage bags in the cockpit of our boat.

While in your application, the screen will not help with airflow, I believe that it will cut down on a lot of the heat from the sun and allow you to see out. They will not be as good at keeping heat out as other materials and they will not give you any privacy at night.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Showed this to my wife. She likes the idea of being able to see out during the day, while blocking excess sunlight. We have a set of four of those snap-shades. They block all light, but you can't see out.
What really intrigued my wife was the visor set they offered. Looks like we will be at least getting a set of those (or two, use on side windows also).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought a roll of tan 90% shade cloth at the big box store. The DW sewed up a set for the windshield, side windows, mirror, and wiper covers, plus a storage bag.. I installed the snaps for the windshield, and velcro for the side, All for about $25.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We used them in our earlier coach....not a bad product, a lot less expensive than the MCD installed shades. The only drawback was when the suction cups were applies, after a few hours, the suction cups would start to release by themselves.....so it required for you to reapply the suction cups to the windshield. The suction cups are only needed on the top......believe there were 6 or 8 cups.
Again, the cost is pretty decent for the shades and you can see through the mesh.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Again, the cost is pretty decent for the shades and you can see through the mesh.
Just want to verify - you can see out, and they can't see in (during daylight hours)? I realize at night the curtains will have to be pulled due to backlighting.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Whatever fabric you get, cut it to fit and use magnets to hold it in place, like magna shades. Their's are in pockets but that's not necessary. And they are repositionable, and non invasive! We have the MCD shades, and when we put the Magna-shades on the difference was astounding! You can get 90% UV blocking, and that's the best.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I live in Florida and our RV spends a lot of time in uncovered storage. This is what I use and they work great at blocking out the heat from the sun. Very easy to put up and take down so I use them even when we are only parking for a day or 2. We have a 2018 Vista.

https://www.amazon.com/Newport-West-...me+Collapsible
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
I live in Florida and our RV spends a lot of time in uncovered storage. This is what I use and they work great at blocking out the heat from the sun. Very easy to put up and take down so I use them even when we are only parking for a day or 2. We have a 2018 Vista.

https://www.amazon.com/Newport-West-...me+Collapsible
Thanks, that one has been mentioned but we would unable to see out through it, we have a lovely golf course view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56795390581__CF63CA37-13E4-4F9B-A324-7CA7D5CCF526.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	170805