Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ok folks I need some advice on the handling of our Sightseer 35J. I have the 06 F53 chassis. We are nearing the end of our 2,000+ mile journey from Washington State to Utah and back. Thankfully the trip has been pretty uneventful, no problems with the rig.

However after being behind the wheel for all 2,000 miles over Interstates, Highways, Back Roads and Gravel its clear the handling of the RV isn't what I would like. The roads through Boise, Idaho were horrible and that made for some rough driving, then we had some pretty mild wind and I felt like the RV was all over the place. The wind gusts really gave me some white knuckle drives, and I feel like I must always keep a firm grip on the wheel - not that I plan on getting lazy but it gets very stressful after a while of holding the wheel so tight. Even without the wind I felt like I'm always needing an ultra firm grip. In addition it feels like the RV rolls back and forth a lot, while I'm driving. I hit a bump and the ship rocks, even when somebody moves around inside it seems like I have excessive movement. Today I drive behind a couple of other similar type coaches and I didn't see them having as much movement.

So after doing a lot of reading here, the F53 forum, and some other forums I can see I am not alone in this. The 06 chassis already Front Track Bar, so I figure I don't need to deal with that - or do I? I am considering something like a Henderson Rear Track bar and replacing my shocks with Koni's. I don't see many newer motorhome owners doing either of these items in most posts, most seem to be a few years older. I don't really want to waste my money either.

Any thoughts, or advice?
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok folks I need some advice on the handling of our Sightseer 35J. I have the 06 F53 chassis. We are nearing the end of our 2,000+ mile journey from Washington State to Utah and back. Thankfully the trip has been pretty uneventful, no problems with the rig.

However after being behind the wheel for all 2,000 miles over Interstates, Highways, Back Roads and Gravel its clear the handling of the RV isn't what I would like. The roads through Boise, Idaho were horrible and that made for some rough driving, then we had some pretty mild wind and I felt like the RV was all over the place. The wind gusts really gave me some white knuckle drives, and I feel like I must always keep a firm grip on the wheel - not that I plan on getting lazy but it gets very stressful after a while of holding the wheel so tight. Even without the wind I felt like I'm always needing an ultra firm grip. In addition it feels like the RV rolls back and forth a lot, while I'm driving. I hit a bump and the ship rocks, even when somebody moves around inside it seems like I have excessive movement. Today I drive behind a couple of other similar type coaches and I didn't see them having as much movement.

So after doing a lot of reading here, the F53 forum, and some other forums I can see I am not alone in this. The 06 chassis already Front Track Bar, so I figure I don't need to deal with that - or do I? I am considering something like a Henderson Rear Track bar and replacing my shocks with Koni's. I don't see many newer motorhome owners doing either of these items in most posts, most seem to be a few years older. I don't really want to waste my money either.

Any thoughts, or advice?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I installed a Henderson rear track bar on my Winnie 35A 2005 and it made a world of a difference in driving. It took away the push in the long curves, especially on highways.

DriVer has a great post on what he did to his coach--lots of usefull info!

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok folks I need some advice on the handling of our Sightseer 35J. I have the 06 F53 chassis. We are nearing the end of our 2,000+ mile journey from Washington State to Utah and back. Thankfully the trip has been pretty uneventful, no problems with the rig.

Any thoughts, or advice?

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I am going to follow this thread with interest. Our ride isn't so bad that it bothers us, but we have never driven another motorhome to know the difference !! Have you noticed anything else with your 35J that you would change ?? </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had similar experience during the first month of ownership. The tires were inflated to 95 psi front and 90 psi rear. We brought it back to the dealer for it's 1-month complimentary service. They had the front-end aligned and I asked them to install a steering stabilizer (reflex by JR products). I had the 4-corners weighed then adjusted the tire pressures based on the Michelin table in it's company website (85 psi all around). We then went to Yellowstone and the Oregon coast last summer. Big difference in drive, comfort, and handling. Finger tip driving since. We have not notice the excessive movement of the MH while on the road. In 2 weeks we will be traveling to Oregon and Washington to explore, sightsee, and bike.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If much of your problem is coming from rear end movement, that will really make the coach hard to handle. A rear track bar is likely the first thing I would add. Also agree that you need to make sure your tire pressures are right for your actual load.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our ride isn't bad and it does not trouble Pat or I. We have never had or driven a motorhome before buying ours. So we do not know any better.

However following the forums I am tempted to try the Koni shocks, since we have 33,000 miles on our 2002 F-53 chassis / 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M.

With the miles and the Sunrise being 5 years old now it most likely is close to needing new shocks so it would not be like spending money unnecessarily. We do plan on keeping our unit for many more years.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
I need some advice on the handling of our Sightseer 35J. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y-Guy;

My MH is on a Workhorse chassis but I feel much like you do regarding the overall handling. Often times, it does feel like the tail is wagging the dog, though I don't tow and tire pressure is up to specs. Other threads indicate that we should start with improving the rear track, since this problem is most noticable with cross-winds and passing by semi's.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A on the W22 chassis which I purchased used with ~7000 miles on it. I had intentions of doing suspension upgrades when I bought it but to my surprise (and the dealer) it had F/R Roll Bar, F/R TracBars added/upgraded and Bilstein shocks (standard). The handling of the MH was great and the ride was OK except for some harshness on choppy roads. So I had read that while the Bilsteins improve the bouncing/porpousing(sp?) they provide a pretty firm ride. So I decide to go ahead and change them out to the Konis and have found a much improved ride. The harshness is gone and I do not notice any bouncing or dipping of the MH. The Konis are an expensive set of shocks but IMHO they are well worth the money. I have not done an alignment yet but I will in the Fall as a final touch.
Frank O.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. The Konis are an expensive set of shocks but IMHO they are well worth the money. I have not done an alignment yet but I will in the Fall as a final touch.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Do you know if adding Koni's affects your warrantee in any way ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'll let others answer this one but if it does than I would be very surprised and disappointed in the warranty policy.
JMHO - Frank
Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Do you know if adding Koni's affects your warrantee in any way ??</span>[/QUOTE]

No it does not. It's funny, Ford went to Bilstien shocks because of customer feedback. The original shocks they used to install were no brands.

I had the push and pull effects and steer corections when I bought the MH. Not too bad, but tireing on long trips. First thing I did was add a rear antisway bar to the factory one. Handling improved but not as much as I wanted. I added a front antisway bar and that made all the difference. No more being pushed around. I was the one doing the pushing. Last thing I did was install a Blue Ox Tru center with incab adjustment steering stabililizer for safety in case of a blowout (It has been sent back to Blue Ox for fine tuning some problems with the adjustment shock) Even without the steering stabilizer it drives effortlessly.

The antisway bar is the best improvement you can do for the side to side movement. Shocks are for controlling the up and down movement of the tire and MH. The steering stabilizer's most important feature is safety. In case of a blowout it'll mantain the tires straight without effort. If you're tires are aligned and balanced you shouldn't really need one other than for safety reasons.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Steve,

As you know I have the same '07 Sightseer 35J as you. First let me say I love this MH, It fits our needs perfectly and we're very happy with it. But we also had the same steering issues you are experiencing, particularly with the blow back from passing semi trucks. I did purchase and installed the Henderson Super-Steer Rear Trac Bar model # SS401. The cost was about $500.00 and worth every penny!!! It's a simple device that's easy to install, believe it took all of 45 minutes and it works, no more wondering, wind is not noticed till you step out of the MH and the blow back from semi trucks is practically eliminated. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Wyoming, 1900 miles. And thanks to the rear trac-bar, I don't recall one white knuckle experience.

Todd

dakotabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Todd thanks for the info on your setup. Are you pretty inclined mechanically? I am unsure about doing the install myself, when it comes to things like that I usually have it done. Henderson is the one out of Grants Pass, OR right?

I did weigh our rig the last day home after I had a full tank of gas. Next step is to get the same type of setup as we had without the ATVs and get the tongue weight of the ATV trailer for comparison.

Front = 6,340
Rear = 13,140
Trailer = 3,980
Total = 23,460
Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dakotabuckeye:
Steve,

I did purchase and installed the Henderson Super-Steer Rear Trac Bar model # SS401. The cost was about $500.00 and worth every penny!!! It's a simple device that's easy to install, believe it took all of 45 minutes and it works, no more wondering, wind is not noticed till you step out of the MH and the blow back from semi trucks is practically eliminated.[IMG]
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x237/dakotabuckeye/2007-7-18-069.jpg[/IMG] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to Y-Guy's questions, does the Henderson Super-Steer Rear Trac Bar mount in existing holes, or did they have to be drilled?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Henderson Super-Steer Rear Trac Bar model # SS401. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing if it only took 45 minutes to install, it probably used the pre-existing bolts???????? Not sure. I'm curious about this and am interested in getting one to help the ride on my 35J.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote