Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Handling improvements, 2007 Tour

2007 Tour 15K mi OEM eqpt, I would like suggestions on improving handling on downhill, curvy mountain roads?
Wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wxman1,
Be sure to do the basics first such as having alignment checked, be sure coach weight and balance is correct and use appropriate tire pressures. Your front axle should be carrying at least 80% of that axle's rating according to Freightliner. We have found adding Safety T Plus made driving more comfortable.

After doing all this we find our Journey handling to be fine, but would like a better ride particularly over expansion joints and holes. We might try Konis next, at least up front.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Check for proper tire pressure, go slow, and use your exhuast brake remember its not a Porsche. I had an 02 Journey 39ft and now have an 07 Ellipse they handled fine but tire pressure and speed is a big factor.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tires

I am not sure what your problems are, at about 20k, I rotated 2 rear tires to the front end, had the front end aligned, sure did help. If you are riding your brakes going downhill, your brakes may be heating up, causing chattering. Use the exhaust brake and downshift.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If I was to add only one chassis mod, it would be the Supersteer motion control units. The improvement in overall handling was pretty amazing. Reduced body lean, much more stable on curvy roads and freeway ramps.

Do a search on Motion Control Units and you will find many positive reviews.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

ok ok, thanks for the replys, I know it's not a sports car, I use the engine brake to slow down, and it work great! tire pressure is ok, ride is good on good roads, bad on bad roads, as it should be. But I am still wondering about improvements to the OEM suspension. Any suggestions/recomendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
If I was to add only one chassis mod, it would be the Supersteer motion control units. The improvement in overall handling was pretty amazing. Reduced body lean, much more stable on curvy roads and freeway ramps.

Do a search on Motion Control Units and you will find many positive reviews.
I just talked to a place in Lake Havasu Az they will do the motion control and Koni schocks for $1600 + tax good price?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman1 View Post
I just talked to a place in Lake Havasu Az they will do the motion control and Koni schocks for $1600 + tax good price?
I added the Koni FSD shocks and the MCU's for far less than that but I did my own installations. The MCU's require you to cut the air lines to each air bag and install them. The shocks require a bit more grunt labor and getting intimate with grease.

If you are talking about 3T's in Lake Havasu, they have a great reputation. I haven't priced the motion control units or Koni shocks lately so, with their labor, that might be a fair price.

Looking at RVupgrades.com, you can get the motion control units for about $400. Based on the Koni RV website, four FSD's for your coach would be $688. A little over $1,000 plus shipping just for the parts. Assuming 3T's gets the stuff wholesale, would seem about $600 of their price is for labor. I guess I would be curious how much of the $1,600 is for parts and how much for labor.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I added the Koni FSD shocks and the MCU's for far less than that but I did my own installations. The MCU's require you to cut the air lines to each air bag and install them. The shocks require a bit more grunt labor and getting intimate with grease.

If you are talking about 3T's in Lake Havasu, they have a great reputation. I haven't priced the motion control units or Koni shocks lately so, with their labor, that might be a fair price.

Looking at RVupgrades.com, you can get the motion control units for about $400. Based on the Koni RV website, four FSD's for your coach would be $688. A little over $1,000 plus shipping just for the parts. Assuming 3T's gets the stuff wholesale, would seem about $600 of their price is for labor. I guess I would be curious how much of the $1,600 is for parts and how much for labor.
Well you guessed it. The place i talked to is in Lake Havasu. I have neither the tools, know how , or a place to do the work myself Good to hear they have a good reputation. Thanks for the help!