Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Gray water level stuck '13 Meridian 36M

Hi all, need your help again. I have an Itasca Meridian 36M (2013). The holding tank levels suddenly started showing Black 1 and black 2. gray 1 and Gray 2. I am not sure if I have touched something accidentally. I don't think my MH has two of each tank. Additionally it shows the Gray tank is 2/3 full even when I empty it.
This happened after we had our Gray full once last week when i noticed water standing in shower. I quickly emptied the tank.
Is there a key to push to rest the tank level monitor?
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Almost all electronic things will reset themselves if you remove the power source for 30 seconds or more.

On the back of my levels unit there is a "telephone" line ... I would bet that you have a similar connection from the sensors .... try unplugging that ... and then plug it back in ... that will probably work
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

And if that doesn't work ... disconnect the battery cables for 30 seconds
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I asked Winnebago to send me the reset procdure. I followed That. No luck. I also took the panel out and disconnected the wires from the panel for 30 seconds. The panel still shows the gray as 2/3 full although empty.
By disconnecting the battery, do you mean the Chassis or House?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Chances are there is something stuck on the inside of the tank giving the sensor a false reading. This just happened to us for the second time on the grey water tank. These tanks are supposedly not supposed to do that like the old style with the internal sensors but they do. Mine has been stuck on 2/3 full for about a week now.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Gar, i realize this not a good news for us, but at least I know I am not the only one. This started happening when i accidently let the gray get too full. I saw the water in the shower area standing and panicked.
Is there an overflow allowance reserve for gray and black? Or they just overflow.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A good cleaning of both tanks can rectify false readings from accumulated "stuff",
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Thanks Gar, i realize this not a good news for us, but at least I know I am not the only one. This started happening when i accidently let the gray get too full. I saw the water in the shower area standing and panicked.
Is there an overflow allowance reserve for gray and black? Or they just overflow.
not that I know of, in fact I backed up our grey this AM, started to fill the shower. I was hoping to flush off whatever was causing my false reading at 2/3 full but it did not work..
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a guy coming tomorrow to take a look at our slide. One of the slides do not move unless i override it from outside. I will ask about this issue also and will share.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

There are previous posts on the same problem. This is just my theory but the gray tanks gets all the drain water from cooking fats and grease which build up on the side walls. If you don't do much cooking in the coach there is not that much grease and fat build up. On mine we start out with good readings then after about 2 months on the road the gray starts to read 1/2 to 3/4 full all the time. I found a product from Roebic Industries that works pretty good but you have to use it very fequently to avoid the same problem from comming back. It is specifically designed for greasy pipes and tanks. Check the web site they have a number of products for other issues, also you can call the customer service line and they will tell you the exact procedure to follow to flush the tanks. You may need to do it over again and again several times.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I will check out the product. Our MH is new and have only been on the road for less than a month. We dont cook inside. But will clean u.p,with thismproduct am
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Btw the technician came yesterday to work on the slide and tried to check the sensors on the graybtank. Itmis located behind the water facility panel and hard tomget to. So no fix yet.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

In my experience with these tanks the sensors don't like grease. We always wipe grease away before putting the whatever held it in the sink. I leave my gray valve open when camping.

We learned this trick from a tech at the factory. Try dumping about a cup of a cheap enzyme based dishwasher power in the tank. A second cup when the tank is about 1/2 full is not going to hurt in your case. I know this is all guesswork at this point. (I have found that adding baking soda helps odors.) Driving with this in the tank may, over time, clean the goop that is giving the false reading. Repeat each time you dump.

Hope this works for you.

Rick
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If your coach is still under warranty let the dealer check it out before you try your own remidies
Old 08-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
CD
Winnebago Watcher

Try the Geo Method. Since using it we haven't had any sensor or order problems in about 10 yrs.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I leave my gray valve open when camping.
Absolute worst procedure to follow. Never recommended.

'Items' accumulate in bottom of tank. Allowing gray tank to fill, then dumping tank gives flushing action and pressure to rinse out tank. Also, 'items' do not accumulate in sewer hose.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I practice wisdom. I don't dump grease or food down the drain. Wiping grease and food off into the trash before washing dishes makes sense. I did this for years to protect my septic system at the house. When we dry camp between volunteer projects the gray valve is closed and the water accumulation helps wash the tank out. I have never had a buildup of any great concern in my dump hose. My years of experience seem to oppose your years of opinion. My grey level readings are reliable.

The complaint of the black tank not reading correctly is as old as camping with level gages. The enzyme powder dishwasher detergent and baking soda in the tank seems to work for the most part. Even the manufacturers are striving to resolve this problem, yet we still have it. We learn to adapt and continue loving this lifestyle.

Good tank hygiene practices is our best defense.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Nxkharra
What do you mean by an "overflow allowance"??
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

From what I've read, and from my personal experience, if your tank level readings are even "close to accurate" something is definitely WRONG with your coach!
False grey and black tank readings are NORMAL/COMMAN..... (nothing to worry about).
Mel '96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
GG1
Winnie-Wise

No overflow allowance in mine when they work properly full means pull the valve

Tags
water