Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Gray Water Leak - 34H Journey

I'm looking for ideas from fellow forum members on how to track down the gray water leak in my 34H Journey.

Here's the scenerio: Camping last week, coach leveled, jacks down. Used all tanks during the weekend. The site we were in had sewer, so I dumped before bringing up jacks.

Left the campground, and as I pull out, water is dripping into the wheel wells - enough to wet the tires and make wet tracks for 10 feet or so. Water was dripping down from the access panels on each side of coach, when the coach went off-level.

I knew I had a gray water leak, so while using the coach during the weekend I was looking for drips coming down. None seen during the weekend. Did not over-fill the tanks.

One of my techs and I had previously pulled off the side access panels to the tanks, both on the passenger's side above the LP tank, and the one on the driver's side in the waste water compartment. Fixed a minor leak from the flex hose from the kitchen. It apparently didn't fix the problem.

No water inside coach. It seems to be lying on the metal floor below the tanks, and runs out when the coach goes off level.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Would appreciate all suggestions on where to look, as it's really buttoned up in there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just traded my 03 34H.

I would be very suspect of the flex sewer line for the galley slide. Check out the whole line. The fittings are subject to excessive force due to the poor design of the line.

After 3 failed attempts by the dealer and the factory, I resolved the problem by using pressure fittings instead of dwv fittings. The pressure fittings are stronger and have a lot more surface area to assure proper bonding with the flex line.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Don ...

It sounds to me like one (or more) of the drains from the kitchen sinks, shower, and bathroom lavatory is leaking and the leak is accumulating in the compartment. I think you can use food coloring and a 5 gallon bucket to determine where the problem lies.

Drain the gray tank.

Put some red food coloring in exactly five gallons of water and pour it down the the kitchen sink ... and then drain the gray tank into another 5 gallon bucket ... if the sink is not causing the problem you will get 5 gallons of red in the bucket ... double check by taking the coach off level .. then check for a leak and to see if it is red ... if it is red then you know what to check futher ....

if not ... then drain the tanks ... and try 5 gallons of blue in the shower ...

if not then 5 gallons of green in the bathroom lavatory ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don ...

What was the problem?

How did you fix it?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

skigramp, I like your colorful debug process. I haven't had a chance to chase the problem yet. I did call Winnie and they thought it might be any of the drains or vents going into the top of the gray water tank, possibly with the donut gasket folded over. I will let you know when I get a chance to get it into my shop and figure it out (we're too busy right now - I can't even get my own coach in!).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Pusherman;1190993]I'm looking for ideas from fellow forum members on how to track down the gray water leak in my 34H Journey.

Here's the scenerio: Camping last week, coach leveled, jacks down. Used all tanks during the weekend. The site we were in had sewer, so I dumped before bringing up jacks.

Left the campground, and as I pull out, water is dripping into the wheel wells - enough to wet the tires and make wet tracks for 10 feet or so. Water was dripping down from the access panels on each side of coach, when the coach went off-level.

I knew I had a gray water leak, so while using the coach during the weekend I was looking for drips coming down. None seen during the weekend. Did not over-fill the tanks.

I will never buy another coach with the plumbing in the slide. Stove and refer ok. My Itasca has been a PITA as far as leaks in the kitchen sink. Had my plumbing drain come apart on I-76 in CO (rough road). Didn't realize it for a couple of days but reassembled it in a campground. Since then, I have encountered a problem with the flex pipe going into the drain pipe and into the gray tank. The rubber seal on the tank to drain pipe split in half and and found the part inside the tank during draining. Had to call Winnebago parts to get the right fitting and it worked out ok but a lot of work in remval of the panels. I don' know where the get the sealer for these panels but it works This is a learning experience.
Richard
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Finally figured it out. I've seen a few more posts on gray water tank leaks, so this may help others.

My coach is the 34H with the galley sink on the slide. Finally found the leak from the flex line which feeds the gray water tank.

Since it was leaking at the feed of the gray water tank, it was leaking onto the top of the tank, and when I moved the coach, the water would move to the gray/black water compartment, or the opposite side on the passenger's side.

The flex fitting going into the rigid was broken. Leaked onto the top of the gray tank, and then when I moved the coach, I would see it in the gray/black compartment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
journey, leak, water