Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Grand Tour/Ultra model quality?

I wanted to ask any of you grand tour or ultra coach owners how the overall quality was in these coaches? I really like like the floor plans on these coaches as they
have great kitchen lay outs and then a really cozy tv area. I like the separation of the back bedroom. the dark formal colors are really nice feeling . BUT- when walking a 2015 model awhile ago the overall build felt a bit cheap. there was moldings already coming off and cracks in the wood doors. maybe it was just this particular coach.. how do they drive? is it smooth and QUIET? any wind noise in the cab? carpet and furniture holding up well? how is the insulation overall in the coach? is it loud in rain storms, sitting or driving? when parked and sleeping near highways is it quiet to the outside traffic? heating and air system efficient and quiet? thanks for your in put...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
I wanted to ask any of you grand tour or ultra coach owners how the overall quality was in these coaches? I really like like the floor plans on these coaches as they
have great kitchen lay outs and then a really cozy tv area. I like the separation of the back bedroom. the dark formal colors are really nice feeling . BUT- when walking a 2015 model awhile ago the overall build felt a bit cheap. there was moldings already coming off and cracks in the wood doors. maybe it was just this particular coach.. how do they drive? is it smooth and QUIET? any wind noise in the cab? carpet and furniture holding up well? how is the insulation overall in the coach? is it loud in rain storms, sitting or driving? when parked and sleeping near highways is it quiet to the outside traffic? heating and air system efficient and quiet? thanks for your in put...
We don't own one, but have looked at many and thoroughly inspected three. All three times we went home with our checkbook unopened because of the same cheap workmanship, materials, and quality. We saw the same cracking wood, fascia hanging loose, misaligned doors and drawers, latches that wouldn't hold, wiring hanging loose, and more.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I wonder what has happened at the factory as to allow Tours to have all the described defects? The ones we have been through have none of these quality control items as listed?

But then again, we have been motor homing for over 12 years and owned three Winnebagos, and yes, defensive of Winnie. May have to drop by Forest City to see for ourselves.

Our 2012 Tour (Ruby) is as nice as the day we picked it up at Lazydays in Florida.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our 2014 Ellipse 42QD fit and finish is very nice and holding up well. The only issues so far have been the half bath wall needed to be refastened at floor level by the door. A quick re-squaring and beefed up fasteners under wall did the trick. Also, two moldings have worked loose due to those little tiny brads giving up. No real biggie though. easily fixed with heavy duty 3M two sided tape (which is how Newmar fastens some moldings) it works. Other than that, it's been great.

Really, in addition to our conversations here and being informed, I have found that you have to look for yourself at an individual coach and make your own conclusions. With any brand, I believe, one coach can be flawless, and the very next one have imperfections. These are built by human hands, and there's so many factors on any given day that can make quality waver even in the slightest, or otherwise. I had a Newmar previous, and it was also great. But, just the same, a few things became apparent. The decorative fascia on the top (main) slide woodwork started to come unglued. Also, above the bed on the top of the slide woodwork, the wood medallion mounted in the middle, was actually installed 1 and 3/4 inches off center. So you see what I mean, whether it be assembly line built or not.
Manufacturer reputation does precede, true, and that does have importance, but look at 'em anyway and study on it too.

This person just bought a brand new Grand Tour. Perhaps see how he's doing so far. He seems happy with it.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...-a-287644.html

Best of luck in your quest!
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Almost a couple of weeks with this thread now and almost zero response from owners... I find that very interesting. I am guessing there are just not a lot of owners out there which means these coaches are not good sellers , I guess I am not the only one who feels these coaches are on the low end build quality... To bad. Such a great floor plan and nice feeling decor. Maybe Winnebago can step up the bones on these coaches. And when they do I would like to look again. Jmo
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Almost a couple of weeks with this thread now and almost zero response from owners... I find that very interesting. I am guessing there are just not a lot of owners out there which means these coaches are not good sellers , I guess I am not the only one who feels these coaches are on the low end build quality... To bad. Such a great floor plan and nice feeling decor. Maybe Winnebago can step up the bones on these coaches. And when they do I would like to look again. Jmo

Hi Bob
Good to hear from you. Sorry no one has gotten with you. Seams many are busy around this time. I have a 2013 Winnebago Tour 42 QD and love it. I drove it away from the factory in Forest CIty Iawa December 19th 2012 and it's put together very well. I have used it 45+% since then and it has never went to any repair facility at all. I believe if you want a well built coach you should get it from Winnebago.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was hoping you'd jump in here Jesse. That makes two of us with a heavy duty rig built well.

W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2015 42QD and love it. There have been some issues, but most have been with components installed. Aqua Hot not working properly, Winegard Satellite issue, leveling system and a few others. The factory has been great in fixing these issues. We did have three cracked floor tiles and two pieces of wood trim come loose, and these issues were fixed at the factory. We full-time and it is a good floor plan for us. I can attest to the fact that any new RV will have issues that will need to be fixed during the first year of ownership. We had a 2010 DRV Mobile Suites 5th wheel before this and it also had a few issues during the first year. I researched for a couple of years, and found that Winnebago was the best value for the dollar and the central location of the factory were the deciding factors for us. Good luck on your search.
Lon
RETE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
JMO,
I've been on this forum a lot of years and have observed that the majority of owners come to the forum to solve a problem. Many are reluctant to post at all and have to be motivated by a serious problem before write at all. So lots of posts about how happy they are seem rare. So not surprised that you don't have 10 more satisfied owners posting. Sometimes the timing isn't right and you have to post again to bring it to the top of the discussion list.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

X2...We have a lot of threads on the Winnie site. OP may want to read them.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
We have a lot of threads on the Winnie site. OP may want to read them.y
The Winnebago forum on IRV2 or is there an official factory forum?
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2014 Ellipse (sister of the Tour) are very happy with it. I can't say I have found anything seriously wrong to complain about. We are the 2nd owners, maybe the first got everything ironed out before we took over. All in all, very happy with Winnebago, we used to have a Tiffin, and found ourselves at the plant almost every year. Finally just gave up.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I love the 42QD and the 42HD.......but for the price range I don't expect to see wall tape covering wall joints........ (See 1/2 bath 45 degree joint). Not impressed with the product at that price. Flimsy.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
aa1ssradio

Traded a Tiffin for a 2012 Tour and we absolutely love it. No issues with anything except Aquahot. Issue was due to poor maintenance from previous owner. Now all is OK.
We also had issue with touch screen on radio and a bad shade motor. Dealer took care of those issues under warranty before we picked it up.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42HD and love it. Yes there are problems from time to time and yes some things come apart or unglued. No one mentions or seems to think about the fact that these coaches may have been on a lot in the blazing sun or freezing cold for an extended period of time before being purchased. Let me tell you glue WILL come undone on anything when it's 105 outside and not much cooler in a coach. And let's think about the roads that we travel that will cause vibrations and trouble on a coach too. What about RV shows? The damage done there is frightening. We were so grateful ours was pulled out immediately after we bought it at a show before more people could bang on the doors and play with the electric seats or the televator TV. We've come to realize no coach is perfect so you just get the floor plan that works for you and get out there and enjoy it! Life is too darn short to fret over the small or even the big stuff.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have the 2013 Meridian - less bells and whistles than the Tour but same chassis. I have been thrilled with the quality. I guess it is what you are used to, we came from a 5er and after 3 of those I am so happy to get into something built solid.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
aa1ssradio

Talking

We have a 2012 Tour 42JD and love it. We almost purchased a 2013 Meridian 42E but the service guy said to us stay away from this one as it has been in service for the schwintek slides on the big slide 3 times now.

We took his advice and got into the Tour for almost the same price.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
We have a 2012 Tour 42JD and love it. We almost purchased a 2013 Meridian 42E but the service guy said to us stay away from this one as it has been in service for the schwintek slides on the big slide 3 times now.

We took his advice and got into the Tour for almost the same price.
Well good for you!

I probably bought the Meridian at CW you didn't, and you probably bought the 2012 QD that I didn't at Johnson RV.

PS, the big slide actually isn't Schwintek, but the 2nd largest is, and it was worked great for us.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:06 AM   #19
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Well good for you!

I probably bought the Meridian at CW you didn't, and you probably bought the 2012 QD that I didn't at Johnson RV.

PS, the big slide actually isn't Schwintek, but the 2nd largest is, and it was worked great for us.

I wasn't bashing your Meridian. Meridian is a nice coach. I was stating problems with the particular unit we looked at. As everyone knows some are lemons. This one we were looking at was. I don't know where you purchased yours. I did not buy mine at Johnson RV and I do not have a QD . . . It is a JD
Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
Site Team

WBGO has had so many issues with Schwintech slides that they have been busy changing them out for Power Gear Slides. Not just WBGO... all over the RV industry.

I hear about quality issues with the Tour/Grand Tour between 2013 and 2015 from other WBGO owners when I’m on the road. It seems things things got better in 2016 and on.

Now they’ve moved all Tour and Journey production to the Junction City, Oregon factory - the previous Country Coach facility. Everyone I’ve heard from says quality has never been better as the majority of CC employees are back on the job building high quality RVs.

Tags
quality