Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Governor on Via and View

The dealer tells me these sprinter engines are governed at 80 MPG. Why is that and can it be bypassed or adjusted?
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Don't really know what the governor is set at but....80+? Really, I owned a Navion a couple of years ago and you wouldn't want to be driving it at that speed under any circumstance. MH 's are not for racing and you wouldn't want to out run the capabilities of its brakes. The Navion could cruise along at 65-68 all day long and still return decent mpg. At least on mine, there was a fuel economy penalty for every mile driven over 62 mph.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
The dealer tells me these sprinter engines are governed at 80 MPG. Why is that and can it be bypassed or adjusted?
I wouldn't be surprised if the engine was governed at a specific RPM which would equate to some speed.

One should be more concerned about the tires and their rating. Doubtful that they put a tire on that is designed for sustained HIGH speeds i.e. over 70-75 MPH.

In any case, let me know your itinerary so I can be on the opposite coast . . . 80 MPH ain't a good idea even out here in the wastelands of the SouthWest, not in a motorhome anyway . . . just sayin'

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You are installing a flux capacitor so you can make 88 MPH, right?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

First, Many larger veicles are so governed, yes, it can be adjusted b but not by me (I mean I know the basic method (re-program the engine control computer) but lack the needed equipment or experience)

Why is simple At high speeds the vehicle is far less stable, Loss of control becomes a real possibility, They wish to discourage that kind of driving.

Now, being as there is no where other than a race track where you can legally drive 80 MPH, let alone 80+ Why would you want to? (And yes there are exceptions to that but an RV is not on the exceptions list)

True story. A Detroit EMS filled it's Fuel tank and then responded to a very nearby hospital and picked up a Police officer who had been shot. (Officers had taken him to the hospital which basically said "Sorry, beyoned our ability") they loaded him up and drove about 10 miles, Pedal to the metal, on a freeway that was closed for the event as it were, A police officer driving a sweep car flat out as well (Again top speed) said the EMS went past him like he was in park... Got to the World's #1 Gunshot wound hospital (Where the officer was treated, recovered, and was returned to duty, Yes, this story has a happy ending) and took on another fifty gallons of fuel.

WHY would you want to drive that fast?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Not interested in racing just hate to see a governor kick in on a hill or when trying to pass. No sooner did I post the original question it dawned on me that the rig is governed based on the rating of the tires and just had that confirmed in a dealers email.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Don't know much about Sprinters, but I bet at 80 your engine is at redline. That ain't no car your driving.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Not interested in racing just hate to see a governor kick in on a hill or when trying to pass. No sooner did I post the original question it dawned on me that the rig is governed based on the rating of the tires and just had that confirmed in a dealers email.
Ok, now you are talking. The issue here is maximum torque rather than speed. It is about how much and how well a sprinter pulls. No question, it will not be a ball of fire up mountain passes but will do fine overall. Mine had had the smaller 2.7 5 cylinder. They now have V6 and put out more HP and torque, so they should be a bit better on hills.
In any event you don't need to worry about going 90.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Ok, now you are talking. The issue here is maximum torque rather than speed. It is about how much and how well a sprinter pulls. No question, it will not be a ball of fire up mountain passes but will do fine overall. Mine had had the smaller 2.7 5 cylinder. They now have V6 and put out more HP and torque, so they should be a bit better on hills.
In any event you don't need to worry about going 90.
My thinking exactly Dave. No matter what you are driving, a Porsche or a big rig, there is always gonna be someone in front you on a hill going well below the speed limit that you need to pass while there is fast moving traffic coming up behind you. It takes torque to do that and you don't need uncle sam manipulating the throttle for you under those circumstances. Might as well be driving a VW bus. lol
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

A governor what limits you to 80, in the old days, may have affected performance at 70 (Since I never dealt with one I don't knwo) but in todays'w wold of digital electronics,

It won't affect torque or HP or performance one iota at 70 mph,, It kickes in around 79. but below that you won't notice it at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

80 Miles Per Gallon is pretty good didn't think those little diesels got fuel economy like that.

80 MPH is the max the tires are rated for so it is best to leave well enough alone especially if you want a long running low maintanence rig.

The new electronic governers are not like the old ones and work with the computer systems input from the drive train and not off the engine tachometer.