Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Got Fuse recall today aux solar charging unit

Finally got my long awaited recall notice from WBGO for our 2016 Adventurer 38Q. Trying to figure out:

1. exactly how bad this is (yea I know any unfused circuit is not good) but how critical is the risk?

2. Which part is in question or what exactly is the auxiliary charging port (the line coming off the single solar panel or the white box on the roof with 3 outlets - or inlets)?

3.Is this something that I could fix myself with an in line fuse spliced between the solar panel and the white box to avoid a 180 mile run to sit while someone makes an easy fix I could do myself or is it more complex?

Anyone had any experience with the fix yet?

It would seem if this is so critical someone along the way (NHTSA or WBGO) would have said unplug your solar panel until its fixed-- which makes me wonder how bad this really is-- and since its taken quite a while to get the notice.

Am I all off on this?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On the 2018 View the recall is to add a fuse inline with the auxiliary port located in the electrical bay which is intended for use with a portable panel. I would guess from your wording yours is the same. In other words Winnie did not fuse the auxiliary port for a portable panel. I did not take our rig in for the same reason, long drive, if I ever decide to use that port, not likely, I will fuse it. In my rig you could actually fuse it just behind the solar controller. There is a small wire spliced into the roof feed positive input. You could simply cut that and put an inline fuse holder right there and not even crawl under the rig or chase wires - if your rig is like mine and you decide to use the auxiliary port.

There are some reports of the original series 3-port combiner developing loose connections although that is not related to this recall. If you see amps jumping up and down really fast on the display of the controller you just might have a loose connection under that white box on the roof.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi from LaGrange Kayak73!!

Thanks for the good info!! We have 1 originally installed 100 watt panel going into the 3 port box on the roof-- which I assume goes down to somewhere near the inverter? Sounds like the same set up you have.

I think I'll pass on going in to the shop for this one. I'll never use an auxiliary solar panel (I'm not particularly impressed with the one I have based on how we use our rig)

I poured all over the wiring diagrams on line and never could find the thing.

I appreciate your help

Joe
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Hey Joe,
Bill is correct. It’s a nonissue if you don’t use that Aux port. The rooftop 3-port solar input is fused.

We spent $240 and added 2-more panels up there. Since there are 2-extra inputs it’s super easy and really helps keep the batteries fully charged, and makes dry camping easier.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hey Joe,
Bill is correct. It’s a nonissue if you don’t use that Aux port. The rooftop 3-port solar input is fused.

We spent $240 and added 2-more panels up there. Since there are 2-extra inputs it’s super easy and really helps keep the batteries fully charged, and makes dry camping easier.
Many thanks for the follow up. Feeling better about not making the long trip and wait for the fix now that I understand what its all about. We never dry camp and likely never will. (Getting too soft in our old age - guess we love the sound of the genny humming when we need juice while disconnected LOL). When the rig is stored the roof is always shaded and not getting much light- heck I don't even know if the 100 watt panel we have is even working?

So at the end of the day no more solar for this rig. Maybe the next guy who buys it from me will want to deal with it? I'll leave him the recall notice whenever I sell it. We're pedestal huggers- Ha! Mean time I'll just keep "glamping" with my plug in the pedestal on a FHU and forget about the auxiliary port?

Appreciate you all getting me up to speed though- I think I'll quit worrying about this one. Joe
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Team

We made our solar upgrades even though we almost always camp with at least power hookups. And we only dry camped about one day per year. Then this past May we were on a month long trip with everyday scheduled in FHU campgrounds when we discovered a beautiful Forest Service campground that we wanted to stay at, but they had no hookups.

We canceled our next reservation and moved into the Forest Service CG for 4-days. It was a highlight of our trip and my wife said let’s do some more of that kind of camping.

As to whether or not if your one solar panel is working, ours was miswired from the factory and we’ve seen at least one other Adventurer that was also miswired. Next time you’re parked in the sun open the basement door where your inverter lives and look at the solar charge controller. If it shows a voltage or amp readout it’s correctly wired if it shows “P-01” it’s wired backward. An easy fix, just unscrew the controller and switch the wires on the solar input. Even if you don’t use it you should have it working correctly.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
....As to whether or not if your one solar panel is working, ours was miswired from the factory and we’ve seen at least one other Adventurer that was also miswired. Next time you’re parked in the sun open the basement door where your inverter lives and look at the solar charge controller. If it shows a voltage or amp readout it’s correctly wired if it shows “P-01” it’s wired backward. An easy fix, just unscrew the controller and switch the wires on the solar input. Even if you don’t use it you should have it working correctly.
Great info!!! Will check
Joe
Old 06-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
..... If it shows a voltage or amp readout it’s correctly wired if it shows “P-01” it’s wired backward.
No such read out on the Zamp control panel we have. Only reads out how much Voltage and Amps flowing in on the panel. Lights indicate its charging, but no P-01 readings or other readings displayed??? Looks like juice was flowing to the batteries
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
Site Team

That’s good. Mine was backward from the factory and I saw a dealer’s YouTube video trying to sell a new Adventurer back in 2017 and he was explaining the solar features when the camera showed the solar controller it read P-01.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the information. Now, I don't have to panic and drive 2 /12 hours each way for this recall since I'm not using the aux solar input.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I can confirm that if you are not using that aux solar port there's no reason to get the recall done. We have a Travato, and all WGO's class B coaches are the same deal up to mid-2018 production.
I can also confirm that if you are using that port with a Zamp portable panel, all is well as the Zamps are internally fused. Some other brands are not...
Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We got our first recall notice on this December 7, 2018. Then the other day another one.

I called WBO several months ago to sign up to go to the GNR in July and after making our reservations I was transfered to the Service Dept. Wanting to set up an appt. to get the recall fixed I was told they didn’t yet have a fix for the recall.

They don’t make appointments during the GNR but was told to check in when we got there and see if a fix had been confirmed. Must not be to serious if no fix has been in the works since our first recall notice in December.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Important if you use the aux port in the utility bin. Had to hunt and hunt to find it on a 2016 Navion, but there it was in the utility bin right next to the cable and satellite connections. The chances of needed it are almost nil for me. Not going through the hassle of installing an in-line 15 amp fuse on a connector I won’t use. With two free (fused) ports available on the roof connector, this is overkill.
hbjcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Hello, do you mind telling me which solar panels you used and where you purchased.
thanks
Bruce138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:56 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce138 View Post
Hello, do you mind telling me which solar panels you used and where you purchased.
thanks
Ours came from the factory when we bought it with 1 Zamp- 100 watt panel affixed to the roof. I think others on the thread nay have or considered adding additional panels??? (See Creativepart's posting)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
Ed & Lynn

Not sure I understand why one would fuse a solar panel. What rating fuse would you use? ...the solar panel is simply incapable of sourcing higher current than its maximum output.....a fuse could never blow. The other end is not a current source assuming it is a charge controller, so nothing that could provide current to blow a fuse there, either..... am I missing something?
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, fuse, recall, solar