Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
unclescratch

getting TV sound through coach speakers?

What must I do to get the TV audio to play through my "20C, Sound System Deluxe w/o Surround"? The radio plays through the speakers O.K., but after I change the switch to "TV" I get nothing. The original TV has been changed to a Samsung LED flatscreen. I have plugged the (original to the coach) red/white RCA plugs into the audio outputs on the rear of the set. Those two original RCA wires have good continuity down to the amplifier in front of the RF passenger's feet. Now what???
Old 03-19-2023, 07:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You may need to go into the TV's audio settings and do something to change it from internal speakers to external speakers.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
unclescratch

Thumbs up

I have confirmed thru the Samsung tech that my newer TV does not have audio out RCA jacks. The only connections on the back are for inputs only.
I did connect an older (non-bluray) DVD player and I was able to hear sound through my coach auxiliary speakers via the TV setting of the radio/tv switch. But I was unable to control the volume. It just blasted away!
Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Your surround sound amplifier is fixed-output. It depends upon the source (TV, radio etc) to control the volume. All it does is boost the sound and send it to the various speakers. That's why it blasts and you cannot control the volume.

Now a possible fix for your TV sound - does your TV have a spot to plug in a headphone? If it does, you can get a headphone jack -> RCA red/white audio cable converter, plug the cable into the headphone jack on the TV and the r/w cables to the audio system. The good news about this is that if you have a headphone jack on the TV, its always variable sound output so the volume can be adjusted up and down going to the surround system.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:58 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Your surround sound amplifier is fixed-output. It depends upon the source (TV, radio etc) to control the volume. All it does is boost the sound and send it to the various speakers. That's why it blasts and you cannot control the volume.

Now a possible fix for your TV sound - does your TV have a spot to plug in a headphone? If it does, you can get a headphone jack -> RCA red/white audio cable converter, plug the cable into the headphone jack on the TV and the r/w cables to the audio system. The good news about this is that if you have a headphone jack on the TV, its always variable sound output so the volume can be adjusted up and down going to the surround system.
That, or try sending it out via Bluetooth to the head unit—that’s what we do…
If your TV doesn’t output Bluetooth but you have an output for headphones on your TV you could install a small Bluetooth transmitter that would send the signal to your head unit…
Old 03-21-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post

You jogged my memory and I had to use the headphone jack to get sound out of my exterior speakers. I could not adjust the volume high enough with the tV, so I bought a small 12V amplifier from Amazon and put it inline. Now everything works great.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In 2012 when I installed my Samsung front TV by removing the old CRT Sony and the heavy iron fortress it was surrounded in. I had read something about removing the back of the tv and wiring in the "TV-RADIO" switch to the TV's speaker wires. it worked great and I could get the TV thru the surround system on the TV setting. Well, late last year, the TV croacked and my son had an extra one just like it and I installed it in the coach.

Problem is the "TV-RADIO' switch did not work anymore. So I bought a sound bar from AMZ and it works well. Then one day, I was in deep thought as to why this Samsung did not work like the old one did because it is about the same vintage.

Well, I had a brain fart and I remembered removing the back of the tv and soldering in to the speaker wires(somewhow) to make the selection switch work. I had read that somewhere but I'll be darned if I can remember where. Well, I tossed the old tv way before I remembered this so I couldn't look to see what I did. At 77, my brain will not let me recall that hookup. But, the aux sound bar works well, it's just that we usually watch a movie while dining at the table and the surround speakers are right in the kitchen area and the soundbar is in the cabinet to the right of the TV. It was OK, I would watch it in the mirror behind the rear seat and Sue would watch it directly. I got used to the scenes being reversed. I liked the surround speakers cuz my hearing is slightly diminished and I could hear fine as I was close to them. Now, I have to turn it up a tad, but not enough to hear complaining from the opposite side of the table.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

For those interested this old thread illustrates how you can wire directly to the TV speakers (as Winnebago did with the original install) if desired: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #10
unclescratch

Thank so much for your post. I'm gonna try that!
Old 04-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Whoever installed the TV may not have connected the audio cable, that would have had Left and Right RCA analog audio plugs, coming from the Sound System to the TV.

This likely was because the old TV had RCA audio output jacks and the new Samsung TV did not. Current flat screen TVs don't have RCA audio jacks anymore. They do have a mini headphone audio out jack and often also have a digital audio out. You can adapt one or the other to interface the audio plugs with the right widget.

In addition I agree that the TV may have an either or audio setting where you can not get audio out of both the TV speaker and the audio out jacks on the TV at the same time. Generally you find that by pressing the settings button on the remote control and looking down into the Audio Settings sub-menu.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #12
unclescratch

tv sound thru surround

I bought some RCA female connectors and soldered them into the tv speakers. Then I connected the on-board RCA male plugs for the surround system into them. Now I 'do' have tv sound playing thru my surround system, but with noticeable background static. I re-installed the original cylindrical noise filter but that had no effect. Perhaps the TV just can't send enough out to power extra speakers? I must admit I did not have the antenna raised as the wind wouldn't allow for it. Will try w/antenna raised and report back............
Old 04-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Speakers wires are “high level” output. Amplifier inputs are “low level” inputs. Hence the static.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KISLOC.../dp/B00I4EF1BC
Old 04-18-2023, 07:43 PM   #14
unclescratch

O.K. So what should I/can I do about the static??? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
O.K. So what should I/can I do about the static??? Thanks.
As I posted above, get a device like I posted above, I don’t know which is the best. You’ll have to look at them and pick one. There are many such devices.

Presumably, the impedance matching device will lower the output from the speaker allowing the amplifier to accept the signal and boost the signal without static.

I’ve never done this, but others have and it’s worked for them.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #16
unclescratch

Well, after I wired RCA plugs into the tv's speakers, the picture degenerated into sporadic 'blocks' and the sound became 'come and go'. Now I have completely removed what I figured was a clean install of the RCA plugs and the TV is back to playing just fine. Guess this Samsung tv just doesn't want external speakers. End of story.