Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator Operation

I have every bit of literature which came with my 1988 Chieftain, from Winnebago. All of it tells how to install, but NONE of it tells how to operate ANYTHING...Fridge, toilet/waste water system, LP system, water heater, charging House Batteries, etc., etc... This weeks question is how to service/start/operate the generator...or for that matter, where it's located... And thanks again, to all, for helping us to get the Awning operating...

As an aside, I just ordered 2 of these for the House batteries...UB-121000 12V 100AH AGM Battery
345 desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you're not sure where the generator is located, do you even know it has one?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It has one...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I bet you are kidding us on can't find it! But then finding the switch to start it may be harder.
Found the switch that says something like generator start? If so , best to start the RV engine at first go as it gives more power and generally makes it more sure to start. Gensets that have not been started in a while can be slow to get going but they are often really hardy stuff and hold up pretty well---if we can keep the batteries in good shape.
So push the button and listen for the genset to crank and try to start. It may take a bit if it has not run in a while so kind of push, let it carank for 10-15 seconds and then let it rest if balky and then try again for 10-15. Might start right up with a bang but it might not. Some old mules get cranky with age!
Important Note:
If you hear a great big roar coming out of somewhere, it's started and let go of the button and then look round for the noise?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RVs have quite different generator system installations.

The simplest has two sockets to plug the shore power cord into. One for shore power and the other for generator supply. Plug the cord into the one you want to supply the power.

Another way and it is in the minority is a transfer switch that does the same thing as switching the shore power cord, but it is all done with the flip of a switch.

More sophisticated RVs have an automatic transfer switch that gives preference to shore power and you can run the generator at the same time if you have shore power available but it won't pull power from the generator. But if shore power is not available it automatically draws from the generator.

So the first thing you need to do is find out how your RV selects generator vs shore power.

Once you know that then it is fairly simple to start the generator. Diesel generators often have a glow plug that you have to switch on for 5-10 seconds before starting. For gasoline generators you just hold down the start button just like your car until it is running. It is a good idea to turn off all heavy loads such as the A/C for the first 2-3 minutes so the generator can warm up first. Same thing with shutting down: turn off the heavy loads for a couple of minutes to let the generator cool down before shutting down.

Both diesel and gasoline generators require routine maintenance generally changing oil and filters, but read the generator manual to find the specifics.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Have you thought of hiring an RV Inspector to not only look over your 32 year old RV, but to school you on where everything is and how to operate it?

‘Cause not being able to find the generator seems pretty incomprehensible to us here.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a generator start switch, but when I push it nothing happens. The generator location part of my question was "tongue in cheek". I have no House battery's yet, but I have an extension cord plugged into the RV. I have 2 new House battery's on the way, though. The Fridge is working, and making ice...
Old 04-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto View Post
I have a generator start switch, but when I push it nothing happens. The generator location part of my question was "tongue in cheek". I have no House battery's yet, but I have an extension cord plugged into the RV. I have 2 new House battery's on the way, though. The Fridge is working, and making ice...
Install the house batteries and then try the start switch. Yours may be wired to start off of the house batteries.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 desoto View Post
I'm not certain, because I've never tried it, but I'm not sure you could start a generator on house power (AC connection only). That would be like trying to start a car engine just using an ordinary battery charger (not one of those commercial models up for the task--and even they might not be able to do it without a battery in place.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Do you have a fully charged engine start battery? Many, but not all, RVs use the chassis battery to start the generator.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes, to have the best shot at starting the genset, it is always good to have the RV engine running as that ties the engine alternator in to provide power as well as a solenoid ties the coach and start battery strings together.
Warning:
Don't do this with the battery cables hanging loose where they may get to ground! But probably will give a "better" shot at starting with just the start battery and the engine alternator.
The engine start battery gives near 60-70 amp of power and you get far less from just the power cord plugged in, at most on larger coach, 50 amp that's why we see great big battery cables and pretty small shore power wire.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Do you have a fully charged engine start battery? Many, but not all, RVs use the chassis battery to start the generator.
Thank you. After I wrote what I did it occurred to me that not all MH's are the same and that most my information is quite dated.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Wifey just found the "Start/Stop" switch, and it has some sort of a gauge beside it which I can't read. Hit the Start function, and nothing. Does it start on the House Battery's? We're still plugged in to AC, but that obviously doesn't start it....unless something is broke.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
Site Team

You’ve already asked this question and it’s already been answered. See responses above, or do you have some other question that those posts didn’t answer?
Old 04-05-2020, 12:19 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
RVs have quite different generator system installations.

The simplest has two sockets to plug the shore power cord into. One for shore power and the other for generator supply. Plug the cord into the one you want to supply the power.

Another way and it is in the minority is a transfer switch that does the same thing as switching the shore power cord, but it is all done with the flip of a switch.

More sophisticated RVs have an automatic transfer switch that gives preference to shore power and you can run the generator at the same time if you have shore power available but it won't pull power from the generator. But if shore power is not available it automatically draws from the generator.

So the first thing you need to do is find out how your RV selects generator vs shore power.

Once you know that then it is fairly simple to start the generator. Diesel generators often have a glow plug that you have to switch on for 5-10 seconds before starting. For gasoline generators you just hold down the start button just like your car until it is running. It is a good idea to turn off all heavy loads such as the A/C for the first 2-3 minutes so the generator can warm up first. Same thing with shutting down: turn off the heavy loads for a couple of minutes to let the generator cool down before shutting down.

Both diesel and gasoline generators require routine maintenance generally changing oil and filters, but read the generator manual to find the specifics.

David
I agree with everything you wrote, except that all auto switches I have seen draw power from the generator, preferentially, even if the shore power is plugged in and live...
Old 04-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I agree with everything you wrote, except that all auto switches I have seen draw power from the generator, preferentially, even if the shore power is plugged in and live...
Yes this is correct. Transfer switches On RVs give priority to the genset.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

you should look under the motor home and look for a small exhaust pipe and follow that to tha generator
njtinman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Thanks, never having used an automatic transfer switch, I just assumed it would give priority to shore power if it were available. Wonder why it does the opposite? Maybe so you can test load the generator even while plugged into shore power?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Thanks, never having used an automatic transfer switch, I just assumed it would give priority to shore power if it were available. Wonder why it does the opposite? Maybe so you can test load the generator even while plugged into shore power?

David
I've never used one either, but your guess was my first thought. Also, maybe it just assumes that shore power from an RV park is crap!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

My guess would be, because switches have an energized state and not energized, it is set to the least on time expected, 1 to save power, 2 save the switch less actual "on" time, my opinion only...lol
Kg0gp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator